Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?

Comment from: lovetobreathe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am currently in the hospital after suffering a bilateral (both lungs) spontaneous pneumothorax. I am 11 weeks pregnant and for three weeks the doctors have blamed my shortness of breath on the pregnancy. My left lung collapsed 70% and the right one was 50%. Still after five days in the hospital and two chest tubes my right lung still has a 20% pnuemothorax. My worst indicator besides not being able to breathe was severe back pain which is still occurring today. Chest pain was occassional but the back pain was unbearable.

Comment from: Lucky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I am a 56 year old male. I am a non-smoker. The pain started as dull sensation in the left side of chest. While sitting and leaning back in chair, there was a sharp pain that radiated throughout body. The pain lasted several hours and didn't intensify. My family decided it was best to seek medical advice. I went to emergency room with chest pains. The EKG didn't show any problems, but the chest X-ray revealed dropped lung.

Comment from: braun, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

With my pneumothorax, I experienced pain down my back, left arm and neck. The pain was worse in my chest and felt as if I was being squeezed. Breathing was difficult and painful.

Comment from: CallMeCjhance, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I originally thought it was a muscle spasm in my back. It was agonizing pain, so I went to the emergency room. They did a chest X-ray and told me that I had a spontaneous pneumothorax! I was stunned. I had not experienced any trauma and could not understand how this had happened. The doctors just told me that it happens sometimes and would probably happen again. My lung was 10 percent collapsed. They kept me in the hospital on 100 percent oxygen. Very scary!

Comment from: Suzmd, Female Published: July 11

At age 18 I suddenly experienced back pain that intensified as I breathed. Initially, I thought it was my posture as I was sitting and writing, but, no matter what I did to alleviate the pain, it got worse. There's no mistaking that this pain is abnormal, and in my case, nothing was going to help except for hospitalization and a chest tube. My left lung had collapsed 70 percent.

Comment from: patient, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 26

When I was just 18, one evening I experienced a sharp pain in my left chest which ran into my arm and back as well. I had difficulty breathing and went to see a GP. She said it was just muscle spasm. The pain got worse and was rushed to hospital. I learned that my lung had collapsed. The next day a tube was inserted and I remained in hospital for a week. 3 days after being discharged, I was back with the same terrible pain and was admitted again. This time went in for surgery in which they found a growth (not malignant) and inserted the tube again and after some tests, they said that it was an air born germ that I picked up. I was in hospital for a month.

Comment from: tommyc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

I woke up feeling good and mid morning. I felt like I needed air and my chest was racing. I went on the porch and sat down for a couple of min. and it went away 1/2 hr later it started again and I was really scared called 911 wound up in the ER they poked a tube in my side for two days and I felt better. It hurt going in felt nothing going out. I blame it on my smoking I now quit and hope it never happens again.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 51 year old female who has never smoked and do not have a history of lung illness. I've had three spontaneous pneumothorax 7-8 months apart. It is always in the same place and the same size on my right lung. The pain starts out like my back is out between the shoulder blade and spine and then moves more to the front of my chest. The lung doctor I've seen has suggested arthroscopic surgery to find the tear and stitch it up if it happens again.

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?