Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?

Comment from: robin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I felt it important to mention that it usually happens during rest. I woke up one morning with pain in my upper back, on the right side Android consistent chest pain. I thought it was really bad heart burn or indigestion. I also felt a bubbling type feeling in my chest when would bend over. The pain was much worse if I leaned back or tried to lay down. I was hospitalized five days with a chest tube.

Comment from: myngskmk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had my lung collapsed twice. Once in 2008 and now in 2012. Both times this happened I was over worked and stressed out at my job. Both times it was at the peak of the holiday season and I had a huge increase in my physical and stress work load. I was in the middle of working when my lung, the same lung collapsed during strenuous lifting when I was already fatigued from work overload. The second lung collapsed resulted in the doctor removing a section of my lung and applying a chemical adhesive so my lung would bond with the inside of my chest cavity. Trust me, when you wake up from this surgery with a one inch tube sticking out of your rib cage, you are in a lot of pain. I was on a morphine pump for days. My advice is that there is no job worth this kind of pain so be careful how much you exert yourself at work when you are stressed and worn out.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

My first spontaneous pneumothorax was on my right side in 2006. It collapsed twice. After that I continued to smoke and just recently my left lung collapsed. I'm 6'6, and 180 lbs so I fit the description not to mention that i was still smoking. I had two different types of surgery. The most recent one was on my left side where the surgeon scraped the outer wall of my lung so it would stick, and she also took air bubbles out. I stayed in the hospital for a week with a chest tube.

Comment from: Instyle, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 20

My son had a spontaneous pneumothorax experience while on his job. He is tall, thin, a non-smoker, does not drink, no drugs, and is athletic. Only 10 percent of his right lung had collapsed, but the pain was terrible for him. He had pain, shortness of breath, with symptoms similar to a heart attack. We did go to the hospital and after four chest X-rays, a 36 hour stay in the hospital, and an oxygen treatment (no tube needed), he was allowed to go home, with the idea that the lung would repair on its own since it was such a small percentage. He is taking it slowly, but does not want to stop his normal workout activities. So we will see, but any symptoms this extensive, don't risk it and go to the hospital right away.

Comment from: Hannah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I suffered my first pneumothorax on the 12th Jan 1996, I had severe pain on the left side under my shoulder blade and pain in my shoulder and arm, I was told that I had a blood clot and was treated for that, but then a consultant read my notes and noticed on the first X-ray that I had suffered the pneumothorax and that my lung had collapsed by 40%. I then went on to have many more. Six months later was offered major surgery at Liverpool where I underwent a pleurectomy. I have never experienced so much pain in all my life. I still get a lot of pain now from the scaring.

Comment from: JustJess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I'm a 23 year old woman and the scariest thing about having a pneumothorax for me was that there was not one symptom that made me feel any urgency to go check it out. I had a bad cough for more than two weeks, and I woke up one morning with minor chest and back pain and thought maybe it was time to get some antibiotics to help get rid of this cold or bronchitis or whatever it was... So I went to the clinic and, after seeing the 90% collapsed lung on the X-rays, they called me an ambulance. I could not believe it... I kept saying that I really don't feel that bad! I got the drain installed in emergency (while awake.. not fun) and 5 days later went through the bullectomy/pleurectomy in my left lung because it was too weak and would not reinflate. My right lung collapsed because of the surgery so I had to go back 2 weeks later to get it on the right lung. Now, almost a year later, I feel almost as if nothing ever happened. I had a great surgeon. One thing I want to mention is that during the year before all this, I went to see my doctor three times for back/chest pain. I also mentioned feeling a weird popping and bubble sounds in my chest when lying down, and it was dismissed as anxiety and muscle pain.

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?