Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: ramosm, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had my spontaneous pneumothorax 7 months ago. What happened to me is this: I was at the gym on Labor Day and tried lifting 90 lb. weight for my shoulder. Then I started to have a pain on my right side, I was thinking that I just pulled out some muscle and I asked my co-worker to stretch me out but it got worse. I started to have that spasm or sharp pain on my right side and my co-worker told me that I looked pale. I told my co-worker to go to the front desk because I was starting to have a shortness of breath. So they called 911 and brought me to the emergency room (ER) then they did some x-ray and found out that my right lung had collapsed. I had to stay at the hospital for surgery, they did VATS (video assisted thoracic surgery) bleb resection and mechanical pleurodesis. I had 2 tubes when I got out of the operating room. After a week my surgeon stop by and told me that there's still leaking in my tubes and the fastest way to do it is to send me back to operation room (OR) again. Take note my surgeon didn"t know why I still had the leaking. So I decided to go back to the ER because I wanted it to be done and get out of the hospital. Second surgery they did was thoracotomy on my right side. And that was so painful afterwards I could barely move, but after 2 weeks I got discharged.

Comment from: Pratik, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I woke up from the bed and was chatting with my parents sitting in the couch. I slowly felt some pain in my left shoulder which shifted to front chest in a while. It became terrible and I was feeling shortness of breath. My parents then took me to the hospital after an hour where I was diagnosed with primary spontaneous pneumothorax after a chest x-ray. The lungs had collapsed and hence air was removed in emergency. The lung then came to the original position after surgery. I was under oxygen and ECG surveillance in hospital. Later doctor returned me to my home after 5 days of hospital rest. Catheter was removed on the 5th day. No exact cause or solution was mentioned except some problem in left lobe of lungs.

Comment from: rasha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am 25 year old. I had pneumothorax when I was 21. I am not tall, am of medium height. It suddenly happened to me while talking to a friend. I couldn't breathe, felt so weak and couldn"t move my right hand! One of the worst aches ever and my lips turned up blue! I went to the emergency room and they've done a chest tube for one week, then an operation to be sure that there won't be any chance to get a pneumothorax once again. It worked but I still get pain from time to time and it kills me and I wonder how to deal with it. Sometimes I take a deep breath sometimes it stays for days. I should be away from smoking areas and smokers.

Comment from: evi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I"m a 32 year old very active mom of 3. I have never smoked, never done drugs, not particularly tall. I woke up one day and was short of breath but had no pain. Over the course of the week following I went on with my life. I carried my baby, went to the gym, went bowling, etc. It seemed like I was actually getting better but the cough was what made my husband insist on my seeing a doctor. I was dumbfounded when I heard the diagnosis of pneumothorax. I got a chest tube in the urgent care center (I"d rather give birth again) and was transported to the hospital. The doctor said that it"s probably from lifting weights at the gym. I"m on my third day at the hospital and still had a 10% collapse today. Tube is out though. If it"s still 10% tomorrow I get to go home, finally.

Comment from: Lionman13, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I feel for you all, and had 15 spontaneous pneumothoraces in the mid/late 90"s. It really messed up my junior and senior years in high school. I was on chest tubes, oxygen, and finally had two surgeries. They removed the top halves of both lungs (where the blebs were predominantly), and tacked the lungs to the walls. I have not had any collapses since but some asthma, and constant allergies, and congestion. I have been exercising 3 or 4 times a week for 9 years, and I amaze even myself. I do feel some aches and pains from the scar tissue sometimes, and get upper respiratory infections yearly it seems. Lately I have been having pains, stinging, and dizziness. This started after I hurt myself doing projects around the house (trampoline). I hope it is not my lungs. The doctors tell me it is pleurisy, or a muscular skeletal injury, or acid reflux.

Pneumothorax - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?