Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: Rachal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was stabbed, and my lung collapsed. A chest tube was inserted. I have had major pain every night. This is the worst feeling in the world. If you are fighting to breathe, please don't take any chances: Go to the ER now!

Comment from: Corey, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I have had two experiences with pneumothorax, both left and right lungs about one year apart. It was the worst pain ever. I first had chest pain, so I went to the doctor. They did not see the pneumothorax, so they sent me home. Then I fell down at home, and I was in extreme pain, so I went to the heart doctor. He said everything was OK. Still, I knew something was not right, so I went and got an X-ray, which showed that my lung had completely collapsed. I had surgery for it, and then it was OK. However, a year later, it happens in the other one. That's just my luck! I never smoked or anything. So, my advice is that if you have sharp chest pains, go to the ER. It's worth knowing because they said if I had waited any longer, I could have lost a lung.

Comment from: Kitty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have had spontaneous pneumothorax many times since I was 17. I was diagnosed again today with less than 10% collapse. My worst collapse was 30% about 10 years ago. This has happened in both lungs but mostly the right side. I know the symptoms, and if I have any type of ache in my upper back, I try to relax and stay calm until I feel better. This works most of the time, but last night was very sudden with no warning. My 18-year-old son has also complained about aching in his back. He has had chest X-rays but with negative results.

Comment from: Brandy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I just got released from a five-day stay in the hospital after having a spontaneous pneumothorax. I am 10 weeks pregnant and had to stay awake while they inserted the chest tube. I was in much pain when I went into the ER. I had chest pain, shortness of breath, and pain in my back. I still have the pneumothorax though.

Comment from: chico33, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

On Dec. 27, last year, I had a mild pain in my left shoulder that increased to an unbearable pain that spread to my chest, down my left arm, and my left arm went numb. I thought I was having a heart attack, so I went to the hospital. They took X-rays and tests that showed I was not having a heart attack, so they sent me home. I went to work on Monday, slugging 12,000-pound skids around and carrying 50-pound boxes up and down stairs. It was a long and painful day. So I missed work for the next two days and went to the walk-in clinic on the third day. The doctor sent me to the hospital across the road where I was refused to be seen and asked to leave. I was mad and went back to the walk-in where I was also refused to be seen because they changed doctors. The new doctor wouldn't get paid to see me. The next day, I was finally able to make a doctor's appointment with my family doctor where they took X-rays, and I went home where the doctor's office called me and told me I had a collapsed lung. They said I had to go to the hospital and have a tube put in. When I went back to the hospital, they admitted me in five minutes and the doctor was there in 10 minutes.

Comment from: gwr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was diagnosed with my first spontaneous pneumothorax in January 2008 when I was 45 but did not require a chest tube. I have had similar symptoms at least once before but did not seek medical treatment thinking it was muscular back pain due to intense pain under my right shoulder blade. I just had my second diagnosis of a spontaneous pneumothorax in October 2008. Not sure whether this one will resolve on its own. I have a shifting sensation like something is clunking around inside my chest and sometimes a gurgling when bending over.

Comment from: Mia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have experienced back pain with my pneumothorax. The first time I went into the hospital (6 weeks ago), my lung was down 60%. I had a chest tube for 4 days which did help re-inflate the lung. I had another chest x-ray done yesterday after experiencing the familiar back pain and my lung is down 15%. My doctor is now going to refer me to a lung specialist to discuss options.

Pneumothorax - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?