Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: francinescott, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I just came back from the hospital. This description is right on. I had fluid drained, and surgery and had a tube attached to me to release the air. The doctors are not sure how I got the injury. I am currently recovering and will be doing follow-up this week. This is a very traumatic surgery.

Comment from: JR44, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a pneumothorax over five years ago. It took five years of my life away and it is still taking it. I have chronic pain from a dimwit who yanked a chest tube out of me before seeing if it was loose. It was actually attached inside my body. The pain was beyond description. I have been on pain medications ever since and that is another story. I am on Endocet 5/325, however I am still fighting to have the correct dose given to kill the pain I feel. Doctors size you up as an addict instead of treating you as a patient with chronic pain. I have tried many therapies and alternative medications. None worked so I am stuck on this and fighting at the same time.

Comment from: Eileen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

Having had numerous spontaneous pneumothorax over a period of five years, I had a hemopneumothrax with pleural effusions and eventually had surgery in or around 1980. I had a pleurectomy. I am now 66 years old and have never had any problems since having the operation.

Comment from: Matt C, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I started having symptoms of pneumothorax in summer 2012, but it was never bad enough to go see someone until November 2013. I had this back pain below my right shoulder blade and I was trying to twist around and get it, when it suddenly covered the right side of my chest and even spread up into my neck. I went to urgent care the next day and they x-rayed me right away and sent me to the hospital. It was small enough that it went away on its own, but then it happened again two weeks later. It was pretty painful and there's another air pocket that gurgles around and pops in my chest now, especially when bending down.

Comment from: kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

The day after my wedding, September 3, 2005 I fell on our yacht, 10ft into the galley while jumping before docking to tie off. I hit the galley stairs and broke 9 ribs, 15 fractures and collapsed my right lung fully. I had a chest tube in for 27 days, was in hospital and on hard drugs the entire time! Recovery was excruciating! It was not much of a honeymoon! Good news is, I was still able to get pregnant and our son was born healthy on August 2, 2006!

Comment from: Donaldd1963, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

After my lung collapsed for the third time at the age of forty, it was determined that I have the surgery to stop this. The surgery was fine but since then, if I get hit hard on that side of my chest I am in severe pain for weeks. The surgery was 10 years ago.

Comment from: Der, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

In November of 2012 I had a preventative double mastectomy. A week after I was released from the hospital, I had a horrible pain in my right shoulder blade and was short of breath. I thought it was all related to being "out of shape." A month later I went for a follow-up and was given chest tube for a collapsed lung. I returned for a two-day checkup and it wasn't working. Then I was admitted to the hospital and put on wall suction for four days. On the fifth day I had surgery. I had tubes in my chest for a few days, then after surgery a tube was placed in my belly area. After all this, my lung is up and normal. The bad part is that it's been 2- 1/2 months and I still feel all the holes and worry if it will happen again. I am only 35 years old and haven't smoked in almost one year. I feel I'm in shape and am an active person.

Comment from: kherrell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I woke up with spontaneous pneumothorax, it got worse as I fed the horses in cold weather, shortness of breath and felt like a ton of bricks sitting on my chest. Pain all subsided when I lay down, I didn't go to the doctor until the following day, they had to insert the chest tube, called a procedure in the ER. That hurt, the tube in there was very uncomfortable but worked. Removal was quick but painful too. Glad to have it out though. Former smoker, but I quit and thought my lungs would rejuvenate! I have a very severe case of scoliosis also, and blame every ailment on it. I'm a 50 yr old female.

Pneumothorax - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?