Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: lilyum269, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

With pneumothorax, I had my left lung collapse three times in 18 days. The first one happened, they placed a chest tube in the emergency room, it re-inflated, and I was sent home a few days later. Upon leaving the hospital my lung collapsed again. I went in the next morning n had another chest tube placed. I had to have surgery to fuse my lung and chest wall together. A few days later they pulled my chest tube from surgery and immediately collapsed my lung again. So I had one more chest tube placed and removed a few days later and since then no problems.

Comment from: Outside-Lookin-iN, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

The first time I had a spontaneous pneumothorax I had no idea what it was and thought I may have just pulled a muscle in my chest. I waited it out and it eventually healed on its own. A few months later I woke up one day with the same pain in the left side of my chest, a few days later that same pain shot down the right side of my chest, little did I know both my lungs had collapsed. I went to the walk-in clinic, got a chest x-ray and went home. About an hour later they called me up and told me to get to the hospital right away, where I was diagnosed with a bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax. Having the chest tube inserted was probably the worst pain I've ever experienced, lying in the hospital bed with two tubes jutting out of either side of my chest was also pretty horrible. The chest tubes didn't work so I needed surgery to repair the problem, I also had a preventive surgery (pleurodesis and pleurectomy I believe) once my lungs were back up. I still have pain over a year later, but at least it's not constant.

Comment from: Eddy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had pain in my chest during a basketball game, I felt I couldn't breathe and the pain increased. I was transported to the emergency room and they diagnosed me with pneumothorax, they didn't make a drain, they only gave me some calming medications to rest and I was out of hospital 5 days after! During this period no tubing was suggested as my lung decreased the collapse from 30% to 5%. But unfortunately the symptoms have shown up again after 5 months after having pneumonia. I had to enter the hospital again but now for a surgery. All went well, it was painful, but since 5 years from the operation it hasn't happened again. Sometimes, especially during winter times, I again feel some pain in the same left lung the, one I had the operation on, but when I take the routine check-up nothing appears. I have also a minor scoliosis and I also had asthma, but it disappeared when I was older.

Comment from: Sonea 1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 36 years old. Last year in March I thought I had a cold so I went to urgent care and was told my lung collapsed – I had pneumothorax. I was rushed by EMS to the hospital. A chest tube was put in. I was there three days, the chest tube came out, and I got an X-ray. The next day my lung collapsed again. I was there another 4 days then released. In July to my surprise I was having chest pain and went to the emergency room - my lung had collapsed again. This made the third time in 5 months. I was rushed into surgery, had a thoracotomy done, and a 3rd chest tube put in. I'm now on 3 inhalers and home oxygen. I've never smoked or had any chest injuries so this has all been so very scary for me and my family!

Comment from: Bhatia, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I was sitting in my office in front of PC. Suddenly some pain started on my left side of chest, which further resisted my breathing. I felt a lot of pain while deep breathing. I went to hospital next day and the doctors told me that my left lung had collapsed and now chest tube will be inserted to exhale the air out. I was admitted 4 nights and 3 days in hospital. I felt much better after operation, but it's been more than 3 months and I still feel that normalcy is not back. Some strain is still there which is not going with time. Goodness knows when I will be back to normal.

Comment from: hrtldy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a spontaneous pneumothorax diagnosed via a chest x-ray. The symptoms were chronic cough, gasping for breath and malaise. I had, per surgeon"s view, a collapsed lung for over 2.5 months. There was jelly over the lung and trachea had moved over. Chest tube was inserted and I was put in hospital. I then had to have lung surgery to remove the jelly to try and get the lung to re-inflate. Following surgery I got crepitus. I found a black spot, which was cultured and found to be valley fever. Twelve days later lung had not re-inflated, I departed the hospital on 13th day with a mere 20% lung capacity on the right side.

Pneumothorax - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?