Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: Eileen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

Having had numerous spontaneous pneumothorax over a period of five years, I had a hemopneumothrax with pleural effusions and eventually had surgery in or around 1980. I had a pleurectomy. I am now 66 years old and have never had any problems since having the operation.

Comment from: Matt C, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I started having symptoms of pneumothorax in summer 2012, but it was never bad enough to go see someone until November 2013. I had this back pain below my right shoulder blade and I was trying to twist around and get it, when it suddenly covered the right side of my chest and even spread up into my neck. I went to urgent care the next day and they x-rayed me right away and sent me to the hospital. It was small enough that it went away on its own, but then it happened again two weeks later. It was pretty painful and there's another air pocket that gurgles around and pops in my chest now, especially when bending down.

Comment from: kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

The day after my wedding, September 3, 2005 I fell on our yacht, 10ft into the galley while jumping before docking to tie off. I hit the galley stairs and broke 9 ribs, 15 fractures and collapsed my right lung fully. I had a chest tube in for 27 days, was in hospital and on hard drugs the entire time! Recovery was excruciating! It was not much of a honeymoon! Good news is, I was still able to get pregnant and our son was born healthy on August 2, 2006!

Comment from: Donaldd1963, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

After my lung collapsed for the third time at the age of forty, it was determined that I have the surgery to stop this. The surgery was fine but since then, if I get hit hard on that side of my chest I am in severe pain for weeks. The surgery was 10 years ago.

Comment from: Der, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

In November of 2012 I had a preventative double mastectomy. A week after I was released from the hospital, I had a horrible pain in my right shoulder blade and was short of breath. I thought it was all related to being "out of shape." A month later I went for a follow-up and was given chest tube for a collapsed lung. I returned for a two-day checkup and it wasn't working. Then I was admitted to the hospital and put on wall suction for four days. On the fifth day I had surgery. I had tubes in my chest for a few days, then after surgery a tube was placed in my belly area. After all this, my lung is up and normal. The bad part is that it's been 2- 1/2 months and I still feel all the holes and worry if it will happen again. I am only 35 years old and haven't smoked in almost one year. I feel I'm in shape and am an active person.

Comment from: kherrell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I woke up with spontaneous pneumothorax, it got worse as I fed the horses in cold weather, shortness of breath and felt like a ton of bricks sitting on my chest. Pain all subsided when I lay down, I didn't go to the doctor until the following day, they had to insert the chest tube, called a procedure in the ER. That hurt, the tube in there was very uncomfortable but worked. Removal was quick but painful too. Glad to have it out though. Former smoker, but I quit and thought my lungs would rejuvenate! I have a very severe case of scoliosis also, and blame every ailment on it. I'm a 50 yr old female.

Comment from: trackstand, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 21 and recovering from my second pneumothorax. The first was 50% on the right; the second 30% on the left, but I opted for the preventative surgery after the second one. I also got a lung resection/reduction on the left side for some cysts that kept my lung from closing up and making it collapse all over again. I am an athlete, a student, and my job as a messenger required me to be very physical and ride a bike. Right now, all those things hang in the balance of whether the preventative surgery takes. Based on the last X-ray, I have a residual pneumothorax that's complicating the efficacy of the surgery. By the way, for those who get their lungs stapled, such as myself, the cold air can be unnerving for a while. This article should mention more about the VATS surgery.

Comment from: KC, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I am still recovering from a spontaneous pneumothorax. I was home for six days with a tube in my chest, which was not fun. After that did not work, I went in for surgery where they removed a part of my lung and scuffed up my chest wall to re-stick the lung to the wall. Apparently, spontaneous pneumothorax can be hereditary. My dad, my brother, and I have all had it; the only difference was that I had it on my left side, and they had it on their right side. If you experience any symptoms, go to the ER right away!

Pneumothorax - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?