Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: B.w-l, Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I went clubbing one night and after dancing for 5 hours straight, I noticed a pain in my chest which quickly spread to my back and shoulders. Initially I thought that I was going to have a heart attack as I could feel my heart pulsing pretty heavily. Stupidly, I waved it off and walked for 30 minutes with these symptoms to get home. This then happened a week later when I consumed a tin of beer as I was about to go on stage and perform with my band; again I felt a tightness in my chest and also short of breath so I went to the hospital Accident and Emergency to get an x-ray and was diagnosed with a pneumothorax. Luckily they said that the lung only had a small rip in it, so it didn't need operating on and that it would heal in its own time. Ever since the x-ray (which was 6 days ago) I have been feeling really dizzy which has also brought on a loss of appetite. I am a healthy person and have only smoked a few times in my life so this was pretty much of out of the blue for me. Hopefully this won't happen again and affect my future career as a musician.

Comment from: Jenny0222, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I went to the hospital about two weeks ago now for a biopsy on a lump on my breast and the doctor went to do the last biopsy and hit my lung. I was rushed to Accident and Emergency where they found a large pneumothorax. I am only 27 years old and I now cannot do any working out or play any sports. I have 3 children and I find it hard to run around for them. I hope that I will never have to go through that pain again.

Comment from: Shany, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I got spontaneous pneumothorax when I was 21 years old. My lungs felt a little heavy when I walked and jumped, I had some pain in my upper back, so it seemed and I thought I pulled a muscle or something. I didn't think it was anything serious and I didn't go to a doctor for about a week. My doctor called me after seeing my chest x-ray and told me to go to the emergency room immediately. Silly me, I said, 'do you think I can go in 3 hours because I don't have a ride.' My doctor said I must go now, so I found a ride and went. I got a chest tube that night and was admitted into the hospital. Innocently, I thought I could leave the next day. However, the first tube wasn't the correct tube to insert. And it came out so I had to get another one the next day. Thanks to that I have two scars on my right chest. I ended up staying for 5 days. No one knew the reason why this happened, told me it occurs randomly in males with a long chest or in those who smoke. I do not fit in that category. Hopefully, I never get it again. Stay healthy my friends.

Comment from: ramosm, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had my spontaneous pneumothorax 7 months ago. What happened to me is this: I was at the gym on Labor Day and tried lifting 90 lb. weight for my shoulder. Then I started to have a pain on my right side, I was thinking that I just pulled out some muscle and I asked my co-worker to stretch me out but it got worse. I started to have that spasm or sharp pain on my right side and my co-worker told me that I looked pale. I told my co-worker to go to the front desk because I was starting to have a shortness of breath. So they called 911 and brought me to the emergency room (ER) then they did some x-ray and found out that my right lung had collapsed. I had to stay at the hospital for surgery, they did VATS (video assisted thoracic surgery) bleb resection and mechanical pleurodesis. I had 2 tubes when I got out of the operating room. After a week my surgeon stop by and told me that there's still leaking in my tubes and the fastest way to do it is to send me back to operation room (OR) again. Take note my surgeon didn"t know why I still had the leaking. So I decided to go back to the ER because I wanted it to be done and get out of the hospital. Second surgery they did was thoracotomy on my right side. And that was so painful afterwards I could barely move, but after 2 weeks I got discharged.

Comment from: Pratik, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I woke up from the bed and was chatting with my parents sitting in the couch. I slowly felt some pain in my left shoulder which shifted to front chest in a while. It became terrible and I was feeling shortness of breath. My parents then took me to the hospital after an hour where I was diagnosed with primary spontaneous pneumothorax after a chest x-ray. The lungs had collapsed and hence air was removed in emergency. The lung then came to the original position after surgery. I was under oxygen and ECG surveillance in hospital. Later doctor returned me to my home after 5 days of hospital rest. Catheter was removed on the 5th day. No exact cause or solution was mentioned except some problem in left lobe of lungs.

Comment from: rasha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am 25 year old. I had pneumothorax when I was 21. I am not tall, am of medium height. It suddenly happened to me while talking to a friend. I couldn't breathe, felt so weak and couldn"t move my right hand! One of the worst aches ever and my lips turned up blue! I went to the emergency room and they've done a chest tube for one week, then an operation to be sure that there won't be any chance to get a pneumothorax once again. It worked but I still get pain from time to time and it kills me and I wonder how to deal with it. Sometimes I take a deep breath sometimes it stays for days. I should be away from smoking areas and smokers.

Pneumothorax - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?