Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: Carlos, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 27

My father also had a spontaneous pneumothorax and was advised to opt for lung surgery. I feel worried because of his age, 73 now. As of now the test tube is not removed yet and it is almost 24 days upon insertion.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I had my spontaneous pneumothorax when I was about 25. I am a male, 6'5. Doctor said it was typical for this category of age/height/gender. I am very active and workout regularly. At first I thought I pulled a pectoral, or some other muscle in my chest. Even my wife (nurse) thought that was what it was. It almost felt like heartburn at times as well. I knew it was something much more serious when I went for a run one day, made it about a mile. I literally could not run or catch my breath. That has never happened before. I went to the first doctor I could and got an x-ray. He forwarded me to the emergency room where I was having my first surgery within minutes. I had the second surgery a couple days later to 'stick' the lung to the chest cavity; this is called pleurodesis. It has been about 2 years now and no issues, just aches and pains (minor). I am running like crazy and working out hard.

Comment from: Sunshine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was 34 when I experienced pneumothorax in right lung. I had been having dizzy spells and shortness of breath, but explained it away with what I thought 'I was out of shape'. One morning while blow drying my hair with my head upside down, when I raised back up I could feel a clunking in my chest. It was February, but I wasn't sick; no check congestion. I decided to make an appointment to see my physician. I explained what was happening, and he decided to do an x-ray. Sure enough my lung had started collapsing from the top, around the sides, and the bottom. To make a long story short, after being hospitalized 2 times (for nearly a week both times) they 'glued' my lung so it couldn't collapse. It's now been twenty years and I'm starting to have some weird feelings; chest pain and dizziness. I have been sick with chest cold, so I'll give it a few days hoping maybe I've just pulled a muscle from coughing. If it doesn't go away I will call and make an appointment with the physician.

Comment from: B.w-l, Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I went clubbing one night and after dancing for 5 hours straight, I noticed a pain in my chest which quickly spread to my back and shoulders. Initially I thought that I was going to have a heart attack as I could feel my heart pulsing pretty heavily. Stupidly, I waved it off and walked for 30 minutes with these symptoms to get home. This then happened a week later when I consumed a tin of beer as I was about to go on stage and perform with my band; again I felt a tightness in my chest and also short of breath so I went to the hospital Accident and Emergency to get an x-ray and was diagnosed with a pneumothorax. Luckily they said that the lung only had a small rip in it, so it didn't need operating on and that it would heal in its own time. Ever since the x-ray (which was 6 days ago) I have been feeling really dizzy which has also brought on a loss of appetite. I am a healthy person and have only smoked a few times in my life so this was pretty much of out of the blue for me. Hopefully this won't happen again and affect my future career as a musician.

Comment from: Jenny0222, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I went to the hospital about two weeks ago now for a biopsy on a lump on my breast and the doctor went to do the last biopsy and hit my lung. I was rushed to Accident and Emergency where they found a large pneumothorax. I am only 27 years old and I now cannot do any working out or play any sports. I have 3 children and I find it hard to run around for them. I hope that I will never have to go through that pain again.

Comment from: Shany, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I got spontaneous pneumothorax when I was 21 years old. My lungs felt a little heavy when I walked and jumped, I had some pain in my upper back, so it seemed and I thought I pulled a muscle or something. I didn't think it was anything serious and I didn't go to a doctor for about a week. My doctor called me after seeing my chest x-ray and told me to go to the emergency room immediately. Silly me, I said, 'do you think I can go in 3 hours because I don't have a ride.' My doctor said I must go now, so I found a ride and went. I got a chest tube that night and was admitted into the hospital. Innocently, I thought I could leave the next day. However, the first tube wasn't the correct tube to insert. And it came out so I had to get another one the next day. Thanks to that I have two scars on my right chest. I ended up staying for 5 days. No one knew the reason why this happened, told me it occurs randomly in males with a long chest or in those who smoke. I do not fit in that category. Hopefully, I never get it again. Stay healthy my friends.

Pneumothorax - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?