Patient Comments: Pneumonia - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your pneumonia?

A Doctor's View on Pneumonia Treatment

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Pneumonia is usually treated with antibiotics if it is caused by bacteria. If you do have pneumonia, you should begin to feel better within 3 to 5 days. If you don't feel better within this time frame, contact your doctor. If you have children, are elderly, or have an immune compromised system, you are at a greater risk for suffering complications from pneumonia. Other medications and home remedies to ease symptoms also help you feel better until you fully recover. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Audrey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I've had pneumonia for the last three years in a row. Usually I'm run down and busy and do not get proper rest, and it hits me fast. I'm extremely tired. This year I used a nebulizer and did at-home breathing treatments, which helped a lot. I also took a high-dosage antibiotic and prednisone. So I was hitting it from all directions. The duration has been less this year, but three weeks later, I'm still coughing a lot. I plan to get the pneumonia shot as soon as I'm well.

Comment from: Kelsey, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I was given steroids and penicillin. And while I was in the hospital, they gave me large doses of penicillin through my drip. I'm out of hospital now, so it seems to be working.

Pneumonia - Symptoms Question: What were your pneumonia symptoms?
Pneumonia Vaccine - Prevention and Side Effects Question: Please describe your experience with pneumonia vaccine and its side effects.