- What is pneumococcal vaccine-injection, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for pneumococcal vaccine-injection?
- Is pneumococcal vaccine-injection available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for pneumococcal vaccine-injection?
- What are the side effects of pneumococcal vaccine-injection?
- What is the dosage for pneumococcal vaccine-injection?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with pneumococcal vaccine-injection?
- Is pneumococcal vaccine-injection safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about pneumococcal vaccine-injection?
What is pneumococcal vaccine-injection, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Pneumococcal vaccine is used for prevention of pneumonia. This pneumococcal vaccine contains chemicals (polysaccharides) extracted from 23 types of Streptococcus pneumonia bacteria. Upon injecting pneumococcal vaccine, our body recognizes these chemical as foreign and produces antibodies to destroy the chemicals. Antibodies are blood protein that help the body fight infection and destroy other harmful substances. Once produced, these antibodies destroy injected Streptococcus pneumonia chemicals. However, the antibodies remain active in the body and can detect the same chemicals from live Streptococcus pneumonia in the future. If a vaccinated person comes in contact with Streptococcus pneumonia the antibodies will destroy the bacteria and prevent pneumonia or reduce its severity. The FDA approved pneumococcal vaccine polyvalent in June 1983.
This vaccine should not be confused with pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13) used in special conditions (children <5 years old, for example) because often in the medical literature the non-specific term "pneumococcal vaccine" is used.
What brand names are available for pneumococcal vaccine-injection?
Pneumovax 23, Pnu-Imune 23
Is pneumococcal vaccine-injection available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: No
Do I need a prescription for pneumococcal vaccine-injection?
What are the side effects of pneumococcal vaccine-injection?
Common side effects of pneumococcal vaccine are:
- Injection site pain
Other side effects include:
Severe allergic reactions may occur.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.