Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Never Again, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had 5 vaccinations 18 months ago as recommended by my doctor. One was the pneumonia vaccination. Five hours later I was taken to emergency in an ambulance due to the pain on both shoulders and down the left arm and around my wrist. I was given morphine and took morphine for 6 months; when I thought it would be wise to quit. I take Tylenol extra strength now, regularly, in order to remain upright. Never again will I be taking vaccinations. I have had painful surgeries previously but nothing compares to this.

Comment from: RotatorErik, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I injured my shoulders a few years back. I was just getting into training in the gym and was really excited. So I was working out at least 4 or 5 days a week. Oh and I loved bench-pressing; the one exercise I don't recommend to anyone anymore to do alone and without supervision, because of that I was out of the gym for 1.5 years. I injured my rotator cuff in both my shoulders, went to see various doctors, and got a lot of treatment that didn't do anything for me. Then started researching about home remedies and exercises I could do by myself. This really changed my life in a matter of 2 months, I could do all sorts of things I could not in the past, including bench-pressing again!

Comment from: Brains, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I had pneumococcal vaccination 3 days ago as I'm asthmatic, off the back of a previous flu injection. I'm a fit 46 year old with a BMI of 23 so usually cope well with a few sniffs and snivels. I had no warning as to any side effects of pneumococcal vaccination. My arm is red at site of injection, swollen and hot, I have sweats at night, bedclothes are wringing wet, and have uncontrollable shakes, nausea and loss of appetite, all of which may be a necessary evil to protect me. However no warning is shocking and unacceptable and someone should be held to account. I feel for anyone who is elderly and not reasonably healthy as goodness knows how badly they would fare!

Comment from: jellybeans, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I let the pharmacy talk me into a pneumococcal shot. The shot did not hurt a bit, it's been going on 3 days now. I cannot remember the last time I have been this sick. My arm was just throbbing with pain, body aches from head to toe, chills to sweating. Never again!

Comment from: AmandaB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I received a pneumococcal vaccination yesterday, because I've had lung damage from chest wall radiation and had pneumonia in that lung this year. I must say that the shot was very painful and I cannot lift my arm all the way and have shooting pains in my shoulder. That being said, I'll still 'suck it up' and get another shot when it's due. The pain of a pneumonia shot is way less than dealing with pneumonia and the pain in our account from emergency room fees.

Comment from: sagewiser, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

The pneumococcal vaccination shot given Monday morning grew to a red welt covering whole upper arm; 8 inches by 7 inches at best measurement. It was red, hot, hard and painful and itchy; not what was ever mentioned on hand outs. I had night sweats for 2 nights with some chills. And they want me to get a second pneumonia shot in 1 year! It is day 5 and am still suffering. This is the worst response I've ever had to any shot or medication. I tried ice, tried heating pad, used Aspercreme, arnica, and Tiger balm; nothing helped. If this is the kind of stuff that passes FDA testing then I am done with their new magic solutions.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?