Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Brains, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I had pneumococcal vaccination 3 days ago as I'm asthmatic, off the back of a previous flu injection. I'm a fit 46 year old with a BMI of 23 so usually cope well with a few sniffs and snivels. I had no warning as to any side effects of pneumococcal vaccination. My arm is red at site of injection, swollen and hot, I have sweats at night, bedclothes are wringing wet, and have uncontrollable shakes, nausea and loss of appetite, all of which may be a necessary evil to protect me. However no warning is shocking and unacceptable and someone should be held to account. I feel for anyone who is elderly and not reasonably healthy as goodness knows how badly they would fare!

Comment from: jellybeans, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I let the pharmacy talk me into a pneumococcal shot. The shot did not hurt a bit, it's been going on 3 days now. I cannot remember the last time I have been this sick. My arm was just throbbing with pain, body aches from head to toe, chills to sweating. Never again!

Comment from: AmandaB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I received a pneumococcal vaccination yesterday, because I've had lung damage from chest wall radiation and had pneumonia in that lung this year. I must say that the shot was very painful and I cannot lift my arm all the way and have shooting pains in my shoulder. That being said, I'll still 'suck it up' and get another shot when it's due. The pain of a pneumonia shot is way less than dealing with pneumonia and the pain in our account from emergency room fees.

Comment from: alan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

My general physician suggested I have it. I received the pneumococcal vaccination last Thursday. I had no initial pain but I awoke at 2 am with the most horrible pain in my shoulder and a slight fever. The pain was so bad I could hardly raise my arm. It is slowly improving but still very sore. I will never have it again.

Comment from: Tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am HIV positive (25 Years) and was due for vaccination so I had the pneumococcal vaccination 13 on 04/11/16. It did not hurt at the time until 48 hours later I woke up at 4 am burning up, with nausea, and my neck and head pounding. So I took some Tylenol and later woke up feeling like I had been hit by a Mack truck. The injection site was on my stomach so, that area was on fire, with red and hard lump the size of a large egg. I went to urgent care and they drew a line around it and gave me antibiotics, told me to go home and if the area went over the line she drew, then go to the hospital. It is now the next day of antibiotics and the area has grown over the line and I feel horrible. I'm dreading the waiting at the emergency room feeling the way I do. All I can say is never again and I wish I would have read the stories of other people who have had this before getting it.

Comment from: sagewiser, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

The pneumococcal vaccination shot given Monday morning grew to a red welt covering whole upper arm; 8 inches by 7 inches at best measurement. It was red, hot, hard and painful and itchy; not what was ever mentioned on hand outs. I had night sweats for 2 nights with some chills. And they want me to get a second pneumonia shot in 1 year! It is day 5 and am still suffering. This is the worst response I've ever had to any shot or medication. I tried ice, tried heating pad, used Aspercreme, arnica, and Tiger balm; nothing helped. If this is the kind of stuff that passes FDA testing then I am done with their new magic solutions.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?