Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: AmandaB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I received a pneumococcal vaccination yesterday, because I've had lung damage from chest wall radiation and had pneumonia in that lung this year. I must say that the shot was very painful and I cannot lift my arm all the way and have shooting pains in my shoulder. That being said, I'll still 'suck it up' and get another shot when it's due. The pain of a pneumonia shot is way less than dealing with pneumonia and the pain in our account from emergency room fees.

Comment from: alan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

My general physician suggested I have it. I received the pneumococcal vaccination last Thursday. I had no initial pain but I awoke at 2 am with the most horrible pain in my shoulder and a slight fever. The pain was so bad I could hardly raise my arm. It is slowly improving but still very sore. I will never have it again.

Comment from: Tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am HIV positive (25 Years) and was due for vaccination so I had the pneumococcal vaccination 13 on 04/11/16. It did not hurt at the time until 48 hours later I woke up at 4 am burning up, with nausea, and my neck and head pounding. So I took some Tylenol and later woke up feeling like I had been hit by a Mack truck. The injection site was on my stomach so, that area was on fire, with red and hard lump the size of a large egg. I went to urgent care and they drew a line around it and gave me antibiotics, told me to go home and if the area went over the line she drew, then go to the hospital. It is now the next day of antibiotics and the area has grown over the line and I feel horrible. I'm dreading the waiting at the emergency room feeling the way I do. All I can say is never again and I wish I would have read the stories of other people who have had this before getting it.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was advised to get the pneumococcal vaccination because I am due to start a course of methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis. The injection was very painful when it was given into my shoulder but it didn't get really bad until about 3 am. My shoulder was throbbing with pain. I couldn't move it without causing further pain. Definitely 10 on the pain scale.

Comment from: c6j, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

In late January 2016 I experienced acute urinary retention due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. I have had a Foley catheter now for about 6 weeks. I was also put on Flomax and finasteride. I will see my urologist in mid-March to see if the medicines have had some effect. If not it will be time, I hope, to plan for a TURP (transurethral resectionof theprostate) procedure.

Comment from: Cathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I received the pneumococcal vaccine on November 4, 2015. Within one week I had severe joint pain in my foot, ankles, knees and hips. The joint pain lasted more than seven weeks! I thought I might have developed some kind of systemic arthritis so I went to the doctor. He said it was a side effect of the vaccine. There is clearly insufficient information provided to patients receiving this vaccine. While I know the benefits outweigh the side effects, I was unprepared for the length of the side effects which finally vanished after nearly two months.

Comment from: Bill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 25

This is the worst continuous pain I have ever experienced! If the medical personnel had informed me of what to expect after a pneumococcal vaccination, I most definitely would not have had the shot. Having 650 mg of Tylenol did not even touch the pain.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?