Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Cat Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I received the Prevnar 13 pneumonia vaccine on Wednesday. It didn't bother me at first but 5 hours later, wow! I have had three rotator cuff surgeries since 2006, the side effects from this shot were déj vu; felt like I was reliving my post surgeries days. I cannot lift my arm and the pain is a 10 (on a 1 to 10 scale). I got the flu vaccine a week before this and had just a very slight soreness, but this one I was in no way ready for! I am not sure how long this will last, but am concerned about losing my range of motion in my right arm. I volunteer at a school so I thought getting this vaccine was the right thing to do, not so sure now. Good luck to everyone who said 'yes' to this vaccine, what a negative experience!

Comment from: Marie-Christine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had an appointment to get my flu jab on Saturday 24th October 2015 at 10 am. I had the flu injection by a doctor, and I felt absolutely nothing, nor had any side effects. But then, I was ushered to another queue for a pneumonia vaccine. I was not really asked if I wanted it, was not checked in any way, or asked any questions, and before I knew it, someone injected the vaccine! I am over 65, and have had a lot of lung infections, and even got pulmonary embolism, so, think it might be a good decision after all, but, would have appreciated to have been asked, and warned about the painful shoulder which followed! Anyway, it is done, and if it works, it would be wonderful, as, not having to suffer all the chest infections I usually suffer every year lately.

Comment from: Sjw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had the pneumonia vaccine on 24/10/15 morning. My arm was not painful until I went to bed. I could not move my arm to undress, it was so painful, and I could not settle to sleep, took paracetamol and had to use a gel pad. I woke in the night and had to take another dose of paracetamol. Upper arm still hurts and I am wondering how long this will last! I never had pain like this before! I was invited to have the vaccine as I have just turned 65 with no health problems.

Comment from: MJoy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My doctor said I should get the pneumonia vaccine since I am 65. I got the injection on Tuesday, September 29. Several hours after receiving the injection I developed a very sore throat. Nearly a week later (I am writing this on Sunday, October 4th), I still have a sore throat, feel awful, and the injection site is very swollen, hard, black and blue and painful to the touch. Also, the injection hurt badly. I am so sorry I agreed to get this shot.

Comment from: Moxie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 31 and have a history of chronic asthma and I get bronchitis at least once a year. I was in the hospital for a pulmonary embolism, and right before I was discharged the nurse asked me if I wanted the pneumonia vaccine. I agreed, because my lungs are extremely vulnerable. I get flu shots every year, and those make my arm sore for a few days. But this shot, oh my goodness! I received no warning that it would hurt to the point I actually yelped like a dog; and I can take a fair amount of pain. My arm was sore for over a week, to the point that I considered going back to the hospital because I thought perhaps I had a bad reaction. The only shot I've gotten that was worse than the pneumonia vaccine is the tetanus shot. I feel it was right for me, given my medical history, but I'd also say, unless you are susceptible to lung problems/infections/have weak lungs, avoid it!

Comment from: martennis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Unless you absolutely need a pneumonia shot I would stay far away from it. My arm got bright red, was swollen and I couldn't move it. Ended up in the emergency room and was diagnosed with cellulitis which I got from the injection. I had a high fever and chills and was sick for days. I needed antibiotics.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?