Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Caligirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

My doctor suggested pneumonia vaccine since I work with children and my husband has cancer. Injection did not hurt really at all going in but I could feel the liquid going into my arm. Within 2 hours I started feeling sick, headache, burping up vomit. I was light headed and arm was getting sorer by the hour. It hurt so much I laid down and stayed still so it could be tolerated and just fell asleep. Next day after a very long sleep it still hurt constantly but was more tolerable. Talked to nurse friend and she said that the person must have injected it deep into my muscle instead of the fat. It's been a day and half, still hot, a little less painful, and feels a bit hard. But overall I don't feel sick. No pain, no gain.

Comment from: Midgetlegs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I'm 26 and asthmatic. My doctor didn't really give me a choice. I probably would have said yes to the pneumonia vaccine because of the asthma. Anyway, it's the only vaccine I've had that really hurts. It's red, swollen and super tender.

Comment from: Christine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I am a 67 year old female. I saw my family doctor today for a yearly checkup. In 2010, I had a total colectomy with end ileostomy due to ulcerative proctitis of twelve year duration. I let her talk me into the pneumonia vaccine... finally; because when I saw her last year I flat out refused the vaccine. Well, I should have held my ground. I received the vaccine at 9:30 am, by 4 pm I started getting achy and tired. It is now 7:30 pm and I cannot raise my left arm and am running low grade fever. On a scale of 1 - 10, the pain in my left shoulder is a 9. Why did I ever get this shot!

Comment from: Kat05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I'm so shocked at the pain in my arm and how awful I feel after this pneumonia vaccine. I got it yesterday and feel even worse tonight. My arm really hurts, I'm nauseous and feel dizzy and hot flashing. I"m 32 and I have had cancer twice and had a stem cell transplant and wiped all my vaccines out, and my immune system is not so great now so I got a few vaccines at once, but this is the only one I had never had.

Comment from: CanAussie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had the shot of pneumonia vaccine at age 48 as I seem to get colds that eventuate into pneumonia. I had none of the side effects that others have mentioned.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a 20 year old healthy female. My doctor told me I needed the pneumococcal vaccination shot and basically forced it. I had bronchitis once when I was 18/19 but that"s the most severe sickness I"ve had. About 3 hours after the injection, I had such severe muscle pain I cried! It went from where I got the shot close to my left shoulder, to severe pain in my whole arm, back and a lump under my armpit. There were red splotches by it that went to my back. I also have a virus infection and was told afterwards I was too young and sick to have gotten it in the first place! I took a Benadryl and that helped immensely, and I iced the spot through the day at least 20 minutes per icing period. All I have to say is unless you"re 65 or older as the warning says, please do not put yourself through it.

Comment from: CC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 39 years old and yesterday I was talked into the pneumonia vaccine by my new general practitioner. I am assuming that is because I have seasonal allergies and occasionally use an inhaler. Last night I began feeling extreme soreness that started at the injection sight and then shot down my arm, throbbing all the way to my fingertips. The worst of it is the severe underarm pain. My armpit hurts to the touch and is throbbing when sitting still. The pain was so severe I couldn"t sleep. My doctor claims that she"s never heard of anyone having such pain before other than mild soreness. I am now concerned about what exactly is in my body and how it is really going to affect me.

Comment from: disappointed!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had pneumonia twice along with a lot of other chronic illness over the years, especially since my college age years. I was tested for allergies 2 years ago and was doing well with just a prescription medication until I changed jobs in July. Since then, I"ve had chronic infections and illness like sinus infections that couldn"t be cleared up. My allergist had blood work ordered and found I had low immunity to fight streptococcus and pneumonia infections. He suggested I get the shot. It has been three days and it is horrible! My arm was extremely sore within a few hours and by the next day, I could not even barely move it. I was red, hot, swollen, with a hard knot and painful to the slightest touch. I"ve been asleep and lethargic with chills and aches all over. My stomach felt icky and I had no appetite as well. I"ve taken ibuprofen, but am not really feeling much better.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?