Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: disappointed!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had pneumonia twice along with a lot of other chronic illness over the years, especially since my college age years. I was tested for allergies 2 years ago and was doing well with just a prescription medication until I changed jobs in July. Since then, I"ve had chronic infections and illness like sinus infections that couldn"t be cleared up. My allergist had blood work ordered and found I had low immunity to fight streptococcus and pneumonia infections. He suggested I get the shot. It has been three days and it is horrible! My arm was extremely sore within a few hours and by the next day, I could not even barely move it. I was red, hot, swollen, with a hard knot and painful to the slightest touch. I"ve been asleep and lethargic with chills and aches all over. My stomach felt icky and I had no appetite as well. I"ve taken ibuprofen, but am not really feeling much better.

Comment from: Goben, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I decided to get the pneumococcal vaccination because I am convinced that the pneumonia vaccine is very important for a sustainable and healthy life; especially when you are 65 years old. But everybody should be advised of the serious muscular pain developed by almost every person after receiving the shot.

Comment from: achrisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had the vaccine today. I'm 40 and have polycystic kidney disease and asthma. I have had pneumonia the last three winters. Each time it has taken me 6 to 8 weeks to recover. My arm is not sore, and I feel fine. Even if it was sore, and I felt terrible I would still do it again. Luckily I won't have to have another until after I'm 65.

Comment from: StealthKat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I received the pneumonia and flu shot both in my right shoulder yesterday, 9.10.15. About an hour or so after the shot I began to have a great deal of pain in my shoulder and it swelled up, got really red and then hard. I started to ache all over and then by last night I had 102 fever. I have been sick all day with a lot of pain in my shoulder. I now have red spots all over my arm and on my face, neck and chest. My fever went up to 102.6 this afternoon. I have been putting ice packs on my forehead, and back of my neck and hips. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have had surgery on my neck and low back and these areas always hurt the most during a fever. I have been in bed all day pretty much except at this moment I am typing off my cell phone. I called the doctor and she said this is normal. I wasn't really warned that it could get this bad. My throat hurts and I have been nauseous. It is 4:40 pm today and I am still running a fever at 102. I am not sure if I should go into the emergency room tomorrow if I still have this fever and this pain.

Comment from: Gisela, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I got the PPSV23 pneumonia vaccine yesterday during my annual check-up (got the PCV13 vaccine a couple of years ago) and my arm hurts an awful lot. I wasn't able to sleep last night, I never have had any pain with any vaccinations.

Comment from: Ladyjmnass, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am 54 years old and had the pneumonia vaccine a month ago. My left arm still aches from the injection spot all the way up to my shoulder and down to my elbow. I cannot lift anything heavy and the ache is so bad I still sometimes cry from it. The doctor's office claims they have never heard of such a thing before. I did not have any trouble with that arm before the shot and all the pain radiates from the injection spot.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am shocked at severe arm pain after a pneumococcal vaccination! It literally felt like broken arm. Pain began about 2 hours after injection, getting worse throughout night. No amount of narcotics or sedatives touched the pain. I was in tears all night and by 5:30 am I went to the emergency room. The doctor said the injection was placed way too high up, piercing structures including bone. I was given a steroid shot which calmed things down a bit. It has been 3 days and not much improvement, impossible to lift arm, I must use other arm to move injected arm.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?