Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Sjw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had the pneumonia vaccine on 24/10/15 morning. My arm was not painful until I went to bed. I could not move my arm to undress, it was so painful, and I could not settle to sleep, took paracetamol and had to use a gel pad. I woke in the night and had to take another dose of paracetamol. Upper arm still hurts and I am wondering how long this will last! I never had pain like this before! I was invited to have the vaccine as I have just turned 65 with no health problems.

Comment from: MJoy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My doctor said I should get the pneumonia vaccine since I am 65. I got the injection on Tuesday, September 29. Several hours after receiving the injection I developed a very sore throat. Nearly a week later (I am writing this on Sunday, October 4th), I still have a sore throat, feel awful, and the injection site is very swollen, hard, black and blue and painful to the touch. Also, the injection hurt badly. I am so sorry I agreed to get this shot.

Comment from: Moxie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 31 and have a history of chronic asthma and I get bronchitis at least once a year. I was in the hospital for a pulmonary embolism, and right before I was discharged the nurse asked me if I wanted the pneumonia vaccine. I agreed, because my lungs are extremely vulnerable. I get flu shots every year, and those make my arm sore for a few days. But this shot, oh my goodness! I received no warning that it would hurt to the point I actually yelped like a dog; and I can take a fair amount of pain. My arm was sore for over a week, to the point that I considered going back to the hospital because I thought perhaps I had a bad reaction. The only shot I've gotten that was worse than the pneumonia vaccine is the tetanus shot. I feel it was right for me, given my medical history, but I'd also say, unless you are susceptible to lung problems/infections/have weak lungs, avoid it!

Comment from: Severe arm pain, Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I got the PCV 13 vaccine on 09/08/15 at noon, (nurse suggested the pneumococcal vaccination since I'm 67) and had a sore arm that afternoon which is normal with some vaccines. By 7 or 8 PM, I had severe pain in the arm and could hardly move it (7 or 8 on a scale of 10; felt like someone fired a rifle shot into my shoulder). I went to bed that way, could hardly flip the sheets with that arm). Pain started to subside by 2 or 3 AM, so I could move the arm. Next morning it subsided, though still sore all that day. Finally 2 days later it was much better, though still sore. The information sheet simply says a possible side effect is muscle pain; this was extreme. This vaccine should not be on the market. Should not have to take a pain killer after an immunization.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: August 18

I'm a 59 male who received the shot during a general practitioner's (GP) visit. I wasn't aware there even was pneumonia shots available, but the GP office asked a couple of times if I wanted one, so I agreed. GP made no mention of side effects. Now, 4 days later, I still have muscle soreness in the shoulder where I received the shot. The first night I couldn't sleep because of the soreness. In my opinion, those not susceptible to pneumonia should take a pass on this vaccination.

Comment from: Asolimi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

Let me start off by saying I'm a firm believer in the benefits of vaccination and I don't go around looking for reasons to criticize vaccines in general. Having said that, at my yearly physical yesterday my general physician said that since I just turned 65 I should get the pneumonia vaccine (long history of sinus issues and allergies). All I can say is, post injection pain described by others is real! My shoulder is extremely sore, though it hasn't progressed out of the shoulder area so I've got that going for me.

Comment from: ouch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My doctor suggested the pneumococcal vaccination, even though I am only 55. I got it at 9 am Monday and by 6 pm I could barely move my arm. By 3 am I was in a cab to the emergency room with a fever, chills, bad headache and extreme pain in my shoulder. They gave me some pain pills and ice packs. That was Tuesday morning. Now it is Wednesday and I have developed chest pain when I breathe. They x-rayed my chest and found a nodule that I now will have a CT scan for. I would not go through this again.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?