Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Beth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I chose to have pneumonia vaccine yesterday 3/1/16. I could not believe how sore the arm was. I took hot bath with Epsom salt last night and an Aleve. I am better today. I think in the long run it is worth it but the arm soreness is real! My home remedy worked pretty well as I could not turn on to that side in bed before the bath and Aleve. No other side effects thank goodness, so far.

Comment from: dreamer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I made the mistake of listening to my doctor and believed that the pneumococcal vaccination will be a little sore in the arm. Never again. I had fever of 100.3, chills, pain from head to toe over 10, useless arm, red, hot and itchy and very sore.

Comment from: Coco, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I asked my new family doctor what this pneumococcal vaccination shot was like because I had a tetanus shot a few years ago and had to go to physiotherapy for 6 months. She said because the shot goes into the muscle that yes, there would be a little redness. After a few hours my left arm was getting real sore and by the next day it was red right down to the elbow and back of the arm too. I could hardly move it also had the chills. Today is the 3rd day and it is still red but not as painful. This shot is a onetime vaccination.

Comment from: geezer, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 07

At my physician's advice I got the pneumococcal vaccination. I first had a large bruise-like area at the site of the shot. Subsequently arm pain extending to right wrist. Now, weeks later, arm is still sore and wrist hurts when the hand is used. I had shots during 20 years for all kinds of things, this is the worst reaction ever.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had a pneumococcal vaccine on November 24th, 2015. While in for my check-up doctor asked me if I wanted the shot, and I said ok. Had I known about the pain I was about to experience, I would never get it. My left arm started hurting about 5 hours after I got the shot. The pain was 10 on the scale 1 to 10. I was not able to sleep whole night because of pain. I was not able to move my arm at all. I called the doctor in the morning. I wanted to know why I was not told about side effects before I got the shot. They gave me information sheet on my way out of the office. Doctor told me to take 600 mg of Advil every six hours. That relieved the pain some. I will tell everyone I know about my experience. It is 2 days later, and I still don't have full use of my left arm. It is still painful. I will never again get any vaccine.

Comment from: Cat Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I received the Prevnar 13 pneumonia vaccine on Wednesday. It didn't bother me at first but 5 hours later, wow! I have had three rotator cuff surgeries since 2006, the side effects from this shot were déj vu; felt like I was reliving my post surgeries days. I cannot lift my arm and the pain is a 10 (on a 1 to 10 scale). I got the flu vaccine a week before this and had just a very slight soreness, but this one I was in no way ready for! I am not sure how long this will last, but am concerned about losing my range of motion in my right arm. I volunteer at a school so I thought getting this vaccine was the right thing to do, not so sure now. Good luck to everyone who said 'yes' to this vaccine, what a negative experience!

Comment from: Marie-Christine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had an appointment to get my flu jab on Saturday 24th October 2015 at 10 am. I had the flu injection by a doctor, and I felt absolutely nothing, nor had any side effects. But then, I was ushered to another queue for a pneumonia vaccine. I was not really asked if I wanted it, was not checked in any way, or asked any questions, and before I knew it, someone injected the vaccine! I am over 65, and have had a lot of lung infections, and even got pulmonary embolism, so, think it might be a good decision after all, but, would have appreciated to have been asked, and warned about the painful shoulder which followed! Anyway, it is done, and if it works, it would be wonderful, as, not having to suffer all the chest infections I usually suffer every year lately.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?