Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Larry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I have suffered with extreme pain in my right shoulder and arm ever since receiving this shot. I can barely lift my arm and sleep is difficult. I will never get this shot again.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was advised to get the pneumococcal vaccination because I am due to start a course of methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis. The injection was very painful when it was given into my shoulder but it didn't get really bad until about 3 am. My shoulder was throbbing with pain. I couldn't move it without causing further pain. Definitely 10 on the pain scale.

Comment from: c6j, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

In late January 2016 I experienced acute urinary retention due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. I have had a Foley catheter now for about 6 weeks. I was also put on Flomax and finasteride. I will see my urologist in mid-March to see if the medicines have had some effect. If not it will be time, I hope, to plan for a TURP (transurethral resection´┐Żof the´┐Żprostate) procedure.

Comment from: Beth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I chose to have pneumonia vaccine yesterday 3/1/16. I could not believe how sore the arm was. I took hot bath with Epsom salt last night and an Aleve. I am better today. I think in the long run it is worth it but the arm soreness is real! My home remedy worked pretty well as I could not turn on to that side in bed before the bath and Aleve. No other side effects thank goodness, so far.

Comment from: dreamer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I made the mistake of listening to my doctor and believed that the pneumococcal vaccination will be a little sore in the arm. Never again. I had fever of 100.3, chills, pain from head to toe over 10, useless arm, red, hot and itchy and very sore.

Comment from: Coco, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I asked my new family doctor what this pneumococcal vaccination shot was like because I had a tetanus shot a few years ago and had to go to physiotherapy for 6 months. She said because the shot goes into the muscle that yes, there would be a little redness. After a few hours my left arm was getting real sore and by the next day it was red right down to the elbow and back of the arm too. I could hardly move it also had the chills. Today is the 3rd day and it is still red but not as painful. This shot is a onetime vaccination.

Comment from: geezer, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 07

At my physician's advice I got the pneumococcal vaccination. I first had a large bruise-like area at the site of the shot. Subsequently arm pain extending to right wrist. Now, weeks later, arm is still sore and wrist hurts when the hand is used. I had shots during 20 years for all kinds of things, this is the worst reaction ever.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had a pneumococcal vaccine on November 24th, 2015. While in for my check-up doctor asked me if I wanted the shot, and I said ok. Had I known about the pain I was about to experience, I would never get it. My left arm started hurting about 5 hours after I got the shot. The pain was 10 on the scale 1 to 10. I was not able to sleep whole night because of pain. I was not able to move my arm at all. I called the doctor in the morning. I wanted to know why I was not told about side effects before I got the shot. They gave me information sheet on my way out of the office. Doctor told me to take 600 mg of Advil every six hours. That relieved the pain some. I will tell everyone I know about my experience. It is 2 days later, and I still don't have full use of my left arm. It is still painful. I will never again get any vaccine.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?