Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How Often?

Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am 73 years old female. I received the Prevnar 13 shot a month ago and am still experiencing pain in my upper left shoulder bicep muscle. The pain varies from moderate to severe depending on my level of activity and makes it hard to sleep. No one warned me about this possible side effect. I am just hoping it goes away some day but it shows no sign of doing so.

Comment from: Severe arm pain, Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I got the PCV 13 vaccine on 09/08/15 at noon, (nurse suggested the pneumococcal vaccination since I'm 67) and had a sore arm that afternoon which is normal with some vaccines. By 7 or 8 PM, I had severe pain in the arm and could hardly move it (7 or 8 on a scale of 10; felt like someone fired a rifle shot into my shoulder). I went to bed that way, could hardly flip the sheets with that arm). Pain started to subside by 2 or 3 AM, so I could move the arm. Next morning it subsided, though still sore all that day. Finally 2 days later it was much better, though still sore. The information sheet simply says a possible side effect is muscle pain; this was extreme. This vaccine should not be on the market. Should not have to take a pain killer after an immunization.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: August 18

I'm a 59 male who received the shot during a general practitioner's (GP) visit. I wasn't aware there even was pneumonia shots available, but the GP office asked a couple of times if I wanted one, so I agreed. GP made no mention of side effects. Now, 4 days later, I still have muscle soreness in the shoulder where I received the shot. The first night I couldn't sleep because of the soreness. In my opinion, those not susceptible to pneumonia should take a pass on this vaccination.

Comment from: Asolimi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

Let me start off by saying I'm a firm believer in the benefits of vaccination and I don't go around looking for reasons to criticize vaccines in general. Having said that, at my yearly physical yesterday my general physician said that since I just turned 65 I should get the pneumonia vaccine (long history of sinus issues and allergies). All I can say is, post injection pain described by others is real! My shoulder is extremely sore, though it hasn't progressed out of the shoulder area so I've got that going for me.

Comment from: ouch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My doctor suggested the pneumococcal vaccination, even though I am only 55. I got it at 9 am Monday and by 6 pm I could barely move my arm. By 3 am I was in a cab to the emergency room with a fever, chills, bad headache and extreme pain in my shoulder. They gave me some pain pills and ice packs. That was Tuesday morning. Now it is Wednesday and I have developed chest pain when I breathe. They x-rayed my chest and found a nodule that I now will have a CT scan for. I would not go through this again.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I am a healthy and active 67 year old. I have never had pneumonia or any respiratory illnesses. Because of my age my doctor urged me to get the immunization. Later in the day a hard lump developed at the site with severe pain to the touch. It's been over a week and though the swelling has decreased, touching the site continues to be extremely painful. The doctor said to ice or use moist heat. I am regretting having gotten the shot.

Comment from: YDQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I took the pneumonia vaccine shot because the pulmonary specialist is not sure if I have asthma or not, trying to rule out COPD, and blood clots. After I took the shot I developed a bruise that went around the injection site. Then I had muscle aches all over and fever. It also feels like there is a bubble in my upper right side and it hurts to move especially in the morning. And trying to cough up phlegm is especially hard, it is stuck, and hurts when trying to cough, and it hurts to sneeze as well. About 3 days after the injection, my kidneys were hurting for 2 days. I still feel sicker than I did before the shot.

Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects from the pneumonia vaccine?