Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How often

Question:Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: pat17082, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I decided to get the pneumonia vaccine because I had just killed off a bout of some unknown lung infection and never want to go through that again (with the pleurisy for weeks, as well...very painful) and I'm 63 1/2. I'm thinking it's one of the best things I can do for myself, together with the flu vaccine and the shingles-prevention vaccine I got as soon as I turned 60 (that's the suggested age for the shingles vac.) My pneumonia vaccine was a little sore at the injection site, but went away within the day. I'm wondering if I'll need a booster in five years since I wasn't 65 at my 1st pneum. vaccine. Since I'm only 1 1/2 years away, what do you think? Get your may save your life, down the road.

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I got the vaccine because I have Chronic Kidney Disease. My arm got extremely sore and was pretty bad the first night. I felt ill by night fall. It was all I could do to get through work. Couldn't wait to get home as I started to get hot/cold flashes and just felt like crap. I took Tylenol, bundled up and went to sleep. Next morning I feel much better. My arm is still very sore, but I understand this is normal. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, especially for those most at risk.

Comment from: Patricia, Scotland, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I am a healthy, active 71 year old and allowed the doctor giving the flu jab to persuade me to have the pneumonia vaccine. I asked if there were side effects as I am travelling four hundred miles in a couple of days time. I was told I might have a sore arm for a day. I was in agony all night when the pain in my shoulder started 8 hours after the injection. It was a worse pain than the frozen shoulder I had years ago. It was difficult to even brush my hair as the injection was in my right arm. Have dosed myself with Ibuprofen in the hope that the pain subsides.

Comment from: Annputty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I got the pneumonia vaccine because I am 65 and Medicare suggests that I get it. The day after my arm was swollen and I had terrible chills. My temperature rose to 101.9. I was aching all over and my arm hurt all the way down to my hand. The next day my arm was very red, hot and swollen below the injection site. I hope to never receive this shot again. It has been 4 days and my arm is still red and hot.

Comment from: Joy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm glad the pneumonia vaccine is a once in a lifetime need because I would never take another. I didn't sleep because of the severe pain in my arm. It is reddened and swollen and 3 days later still hurts badly. I am a healthy 72 year old retired nurse.

Comment from: sunflower, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I was given the pneumonia Injection (Prevnar 13) 3 days ago, I didn't know there would be terrible side effects. I have had pain in my arm for days, joint pain, limitation of arm movement and I couldn't go to work. I think I made a big mistake and this is the first part of the injection. I can't function, I am a young 69 female and I feel like I am 80.

Comment from: Jenny, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

My husband had a shingles jab and a pneumonia jab in the same arm. That night he was crying with pain. The next day his arm had swollen up. Another visit to the doctor to be told he had an infection, he now has 8 antibiotic tablets a day to take. After day 2 on the tablets he is now feeling much better. I don't think I will bother with any of these shots!

Comment from: JPBTampa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I took the PPSV (pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine) vaccine yesterday at a local pharmacy. I am 60 year old, healthy male. May be one of worst decisions I've ever made. I can hardly move my arm. I have alternating cold sweats and hot flashes. Feels like I have severe flu (perfectly fine yesterday). Just awful.

Comment from: J lomax, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had the pneumonia jab on 5/1/2015. My arm is painful to the touch. I am glad it is only every 5 years.