Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How often

Question:Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

My doc advised me to get the shot for pneumonia. I am 67 with a history of COPD. The next day I was tired, had a headache and generally felt crummy. My arm hurt severely at the site for two days.

Comment from: Chief, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I am 55 years old with pre-diabetes and was told to get it since I was prone. Had pneumonia a couple years ago and thought I would die. It took almost 6 weeks to get through it. So I got the shot. Two days into it I felt headachy, arm sore, three days into it I had sore throat. Fourth day I started a bad cough that has gotten worse to the point like when I had contracted the sickness before. After five days, I have been coughing uncontrollably, sinus so stopped up I can't breathe and I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest. Seriously considering not getting this shot again!

Comment from: brebre, 7-12 (Patient) Published: April 14

I got mine because I got the infection 3 years in a row, at the same time. It was not fun. The doctor finally gave the vaccine!

Comment from: Isabel, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Just recovered from pneumonia. Because I was given pneumonia vaccine some years ago my immune system saved me from having a very bad case of Bronchopneumonia. I am 87 years old. I am lucky to be alive!

Comment from: ktnlvr50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I will never again receive this vaccination. I had my first one about 6 years ago. The pain was horrible and had problems moving my arm. Even had physical therapy on it. It took almost a year for the pain to go away. I thought that maybe a nerve got hit when giving it to me. The MD said it was time again. I almost declined, but took it again. Same thing I couldn't move my arm that afternoon. That was two months ago my arm aches from the site down to my hand with intermittent numbness. I am listing it as an allergy, it is on my advanced directive that I never get it again and all my family members know. Naprosyn and heat help a little but I am really upset.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

My doctor gave me the pneumonia vaccine because I have asthma. The next day, I had muscle aches and a headache that sent me home from work. I fell asleep and woke up two hours later, burning up. My fever reached 103.8 degrees and I got scared and went to an emergency room. My high fever went down, but I continued to run a fever that sometimes went higher than 101 degrees over the next two days. The muscle aches and headache also continued for two more days. My arm got really bad. It got red and sore and very warm to the touch, from the top of my shoulder almost down to my elbow.

Comment from: Gary, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had a severe adverse allergic reaction to the pneumonia vaccine. I was injected in the arm and that arm has been swollen and inflamed for three days. The night of the vaccination I had chills and shivering fits so severe that I could not sleep that night. My doctor has not returned my calls.

Comment from: Female Published: February 14

I made this choice the first time because I contracted whooping cough which turned into pneumonia resulting in asthma. Fifteen years later H1N1 zapped me and turned into a five day hospital stay with pneumonia. As soon as I was stronger I received the vaccine again.

Comment from: Painful, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 22

I am 64 years old and just got the pneumonia vaccine for the first time. About 4 to 5 hours after getting the shot I had severe pain in the arm, and could hardly use that arm for the next two days. I also felt very tired, a bit nauseous, and developed a rash all over my upper body.

Comment from: neonbarb1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

in the year of 2010 I had bronchitis twice and in December caught influenza I suffered a lot and spent a lot of money on doctor's visit's plus prescriptions, this year I can't afford to miss work and want to arm myself my doctor also said to take a probiotic so far- so good have muscle aches but nothing I can't handle.