Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How often

Question:Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: bj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I got the pneumonia vaccine because I am 65 and I have asthma. I had an unusual reaction, with severe pain in the arm injected, so much that I could not raise my arm without even more pain, fever, chills and headache. The worst pain subsided in under 12 hours with the aid of ibuprofen. I still think the vaccine is worth having. Pneumonia would be far worse.

Comment from: Twinmom219, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had Hodgkin's Disease 20 years ago. My spleen was removed. I am now 50 years old. I get this vaccine every 5 years and have never had any of the side effects others are describing.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I got the pneumococcal vaccination on Sept. 9 and then again, by mistake, on Oct. 24. I came down with fever, swelling, aches from the waist up and an arm as hard as a manikin. Can this reaction be explained by my having gotten a second vaccination?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I'm 53 years old and I got the shot because I get bronchitis every year. It turns into pneumonia each time. I was tired for two days and my arm was achy but I think it will pay off in the long run.

Comment from: Birddog, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I just received the pneumococcal vaccine yesterday. I am a 32-year-old female, and I have recurrent pneumothorax. I got the tetanus shot at the same time. My arm is so sore, and I feel as if I have no energy. It's probably just another virus from the kids at day care; at least I'm hoping that's the case anyway.

Comment from: ljfentton, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 22

If a patient gets a Rhogam injection in the hospital after delivery, and the pneumonia vaccine is suggested--should she get that also?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Never again! I have MS so my doctor said I needed the pnuemonia booster. The day after I received this shot, I had a 102 fever, chills, shaking, lethargic, headache, and an arm so sore I can't lift it. This is my third day and I still feel like I have the flu, no appetite, sleeping continuously, and my arm is no better.

Comment from: angiew, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Well my doctor thought I should get the pneumonia shot, I think I need to change doctors it's 1:30 a.m. and I woke up with the most awful pain in my arm, I thought for a moment my ex-husband snuck in and shot me, however it's just from the shot. I had the chills, now I'm having hot flashes. On a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst, the pain I have right now is a 9!

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I never react to vaccines but wow did I react to the pneumonia vaccine! Have had fever, shaking chills, headache, sore arm that I can hardly move. No sign of improving yet. Never again will I get this shot. Been sick for 3 days already.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

My doc advised me to get the shot for pneumonia. I am 67 with a history of COPD. The next day I was tired, had a headache and generally felt crummy. My arm hurt severely at the site for two days.

Comment from: Chief, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I am 55 years old with pre-diabetes and was told to get it since I was prone. Had pneumonia a couple years ago and thought I would die. It took almost 6 weeks to get through it. So I got the shot. Two days into it I felt headachy, arm sore, three days into it I had sore throat. Fourth day I started a bad cough that has gotten worse to the point like when I had contracted the sickness before. After five days, I have been coughing uncontrollably, sinus so stopped up I can't breathe and I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest. Seriously considering not getting this shot again!