Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How often

Question:Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Hailey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My new doctor strongly suggested the pneumonia shot. Later that day I was and still am in so much pain that I could barely walk. My arm is swollen and lower right back became terribly painful also. I can barely move. I have to give a lecture today and I cannot cancel or I'd spend the day in bed.

Comment from: Grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had the pneumonia vaccine last Thursday. Eight hours later I could hardly move my arm. The pain is very severe, all the way down to the wrist. It is not a typical post vaccine ache. It is a throbbing pain and it is continuous unless I'm sitting very still. I care for my husband who is ill and this vaccine has made it very difficult. This is the 6th day post vaccine and I still have pain. Never again!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I received the pneumonia shot on the advice of my doctor. I had a very bad reaction which turned out to be an infection. My arm turned very sore and red and was hot to touch. I had to go on antibiotics for 7 days. I reported the reaction to the Vaccination Adverse Reaction Reporting System.

Comment from: Caligirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

My doctor suggested pneumonia vaccine since I work with children and my husband has cancer. Injection did not hurt really at all going in but I could feel the liquid going into my arm. Within 2 hours I started feeling sick, headache, burping up vomit. I was light headed and arm was getting sorer by the hour. It hurt so much I laid down and stayed still so it could be tolerated and just fell asleep. Next day after a very long sleep it still hurt constantly but was more tolerable. Talked to nurse friend and she said that the person must have injected it deep into my muscle instead of the fat. It's been a day and half, still hot, a little less painful, and feels a bit hard. But overall I don't feel sick. No pain, no gain.

Comment from: Midgetlegs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I'm 26 and asthmatic. My doctor didn't really give me a choice. I probably would have said yes to the pneumonia vaccine because of the asthma. Anyway, it's the only vaccine I've had that really hurts. It's red, swollen and super tender.

Comment from: Christine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I am a 67 year old female. I saw my family doctor today for a yearly checkup. In 2010, I had a total colectomy with end ileostomy due to ulcerative proctitis of twelve year duration. I let her talk me into the pneumonia vaccine... finally; because when I saw her last year I flat out refused the vaccine. Well, I should have held my ground. I received the vaccine at 9:30 am, by 4 pm I started getting achy and tired. It is now 7:30 pm and I cannot raise my left arm and am running low grade fever. On a scale of 1 - 10, the pain in my left shoulder is a 9. Why did I ever get this shot!

Comment from: Kat05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I'm so shocked at the pain in my arm and how awful I feel after this pneumonia vaccine. I got it yesterday and feel even worse tonight. My arm really hurts, I'm nauseous and feel dizzy and hot flashing. I"m 32 and I have had cancer twice and had a stem cell transplant and wiped all my vaccines out, and my immune system is not so great now so I got a few vaccines at once, but this is the only one I had never had.

Comment from: CanAussie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had the shot of pneumonia vaccine at age 48 as I seem to get colds that eventuate into pneumonia. I had none of the side effects that others have mentioned.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a 20 year old healthy female. My doctor told me I needed the pneumococcal vaccination shot and basically forced it. I had bronchitis once when I was 18/19 but that"s the most severe sickness I"ve had. About 3 hours after the injection, I had such severe muscle pain I cried! It went from where I got the shot close to my left shoulder, to severe pain in my whole arm, back and a lump under my armpit. There were red splotches by it that went to my back. I also have a virus infection and was told afterwards I was too young and sick to have gotten it in the first place! I took a Benadryl and that helped immensely, and I iced the spot through the day at least 20 minutes per icing period. All I have to say is unless you"re 65 or older as the warning says, please do not put yourself through it.

Comment from: CC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 39 years old and yesterday I was talked into the pneumonia vaccine by my new general practitioner. I am assuming that is because I have seasonal allergies and occasionally use an inhaler. Last night I began feeling extreme soreness that started at the injection sight and then shot down my arm, throbbing all the way to my fingertips. The worst of it is the severe underarm pain. My armpit hurts to the touch and is throbbing when sitting still. The pain was so severe I couldn"t sleep. My doctor claims that she"s never heard of anyone having such pain before other than mild soreness. I am now concerned about what exactly is in my body and how it is really going to affect me.