Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How often

Question:Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: MCMik, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I too had a swollen arm at the injection site and sore arm for a few days. But, having had pneumonia and being hospitalized for it, I will stand for that any day. Pneumonia is not a fun thing to have and I must say it has helped me through the cold and flu seasons without getting anything. I guess we have to suffer with the pain!

Comment from: retired professional, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Encouraged by my general physician I had the pneumococcal vaccine in November 2014. Not only did the injection hurt at the time of administration, but now, 3 months later, I am still experiencing considerable pain in the region of my biceps muscle. As a female, I experience pain when I reach round to fasten my bra and when I pick up my grandson. By all means listen to your doctor's advice, but inform yourself about the possible side effects of various treatments.

Comment from: DQ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I am a 43 year old female. I went to my doctor for a sinus infection and was told that because I am diabetic I needed the flu and pneumonia shots. I got one in each arm. The site of the pneumonia shot is swollen, hot and extremely painful. I have spent the better part of 3 days in bed feeling miserable. Glad I won't need this again for 20 years!

Comment from: hatmon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I just had the pneumococcal vaccination on December 2nd. I'm 59 years old with a history of open heart surgery (heart anomaly), breast cancer which resulted in a mastectomy, and a defibrillator. I never had this shot before, but now I am experiencing a swollen upper left arm, with pain radiating toward my fingertips, where I already have an issue with carpal tunnel in my thumb. I feel slightly dizzy, and not myself at all.

Comment from: Benz Jones, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 70 1/2 and in very good health. My doctor suggested I take the pneumonia vaccine on Monday in my left shoulder muscle. I had severe pain in my left shoulder within an hour after the injection, my shoulder has been frozen with severe pain even without moving, and I have fever over 100 degrees. I felt awful! I went back to the doctor yesterday to find out what happened. He said I had an unusual reaction to the shot. Last night my fever broke and I awoke to a sweat drenched bed and pillow. Today is Wednesday and I still cannot fully move my shoulder, the pain has not gone away. My fever is less, I'm taking Tylenol 750 mg (I cannot take NSAIDS or aspirin due to allergies). I hope this works, I'll never take another one! Not even a booster! Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and my family has to go out to eat because I am unable to cook.

Comment from: comraderie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

At about 1700 yesterday I received the flu vaccine in my left arm and the new Pneumovax vaccine in my right arm. I am a 62 year old female. Even though I had already had the pneumonia vaccine several years ago, because I have asthma, I was urged to repeat it as there is a new, improved vaccine. I developed severe pain in my right arm by 23:30 and have been awake most of the night because of it. If it keeps me from developing pneumonia, it is well worth any temporary pain. I think I should have been warned about the potential severe pain, so I would have been prepared for it. The patient information with possible side effects mentions a possible sore shoulder. What an understatement. Again, pneumonia is terrible and dangerous, so if your doctor believes you will benefit, go ahead and get it. By the way, the flu shot site is painless.

Comment from: SQWRL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011 with a recurrence in my lymph nodes in 2013. I am in remission now but my oncologist has me get a flu shot every year. This year she added a pneumonia shot. I got the flu shot in my right arm and the pneumonia shot in my right buttock cheek. Right after I received the shot I had to sit down because I was feeling dizzy. After drinking something and having a snack I felt okay to drive home. The next day I began running a fever and the injection site on my buttock cheek was the size of a softball. Over the next 3 days my temperature was as high as 104 degrees. I had extreme chills and horrible pain. No problems with the flu shot however. My fever is finally under control but the welt on my rear end is still huge and extremely painful. I have been alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol but is doesn't seem to even make a dent in the pain.

Comment from: Hailey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My new doctor strongly suggested the pneumonia shot. Later that day I was and still am in so much pain that I could barely walk. My arm is swollen and lower right back became terribly painful also. I can barely move. I have to give a lecture today and I cannot cancel or I'd spend the day in bed.