Patient Comments: Pneumococcal Vaccination - How often

Question:Why did you decide to get the pneumococcal vaccination (pneumonia vaccine)?

Comment from: Confused, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had pneumonia and pleurisy in Jan this year and I was in hospital for ages and off work just as long. Eight months later I got pleurisy again which I am just recovering from, again time off work. My doctor suggested I get the pneumococcal injection to prevent this happening again so often. I am not asthmatic, nor did I have lung issues or even a cold prior to getting the pneumonia the first time. It came so sudden without warning. On reading all these side effects, some long term, I am now worried about getting this injection tomorrow. I have just recovered from the longest period of pleurisy as I say which came only 8 months after pneumonia and pleurisy that kept me in hospital for ages. My temperature was up to 41.9 and I almost died twice. As much as that period was horrible I am now thinking the pneumococcal injection is worse. There seems to be more people who had issues with it than not. I am 48 years old and otherwise healthy. I am so confused now.

Comment from: pat17082, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I decided to get the pneumonia vaccine because I had just killed off a bout of some unknown lung infection and never want to go through that again (with the pleurisy for weeks, as well...very painful) and I'm 63 1/2. I'm thinking it's one of the best things I can do for myself, together with the flu vaccine and the shingles-prevention vaccine I got as soon as I turned 60 (that's the suggested age for the shingles vac.) My pneumonia vaccine was a little sore at the injection site, but went away within the day. I'm wondering if I'll need a booster in five years since I wasn't 65 at my 1st pneum. vaccine. Since I'm only 1 1/2 years away, what do you think? Get your vaccination...it may save your life, down the road.

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I got the vaccine because I have Chronic Kidney Disease. My arm got extremely sore and was pretty bad the first night. I felt ill by night fall. It was all I could do to get through work. Couldn't wait to get home as I started to get hot/cold flashes and just felt like crap. I took Tylenol, bundled up and went to sleep. Next morning I feel much better. My arm is still very sore, but I understand this is normal. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, especially for those most at risk.

Comment from: Patricia, Scotland, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I am a healthy, active 71 year old and allowed the doctor giving the flu jab to persuade me to have the pneumonia vaccine. I asked if there were side effects as I am travelling four hundred miles in a couple of days time. I was told I might have a sore arm for a day. I was in agony all night when the pain in my shoulder started 8 hours after the injection. It was a worse pain than the frozen shoulder I had years ago. It was difficult to even brush my hair as the injection was in my right arm. Have dosed myself with Ibuprofen in the hope that the pain subsides.

Comment from: Annputty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I got the pneumonia vaccine because I am 65 and Medicare suggests that I get it. The day after my arm was swollen and I had terrible chills. My temperature rose to 101.9. I was aching all over and my arm hurt all the way down to my hand. The next day my arm was very red, hot and swollen below the injection site. I hope to never receive this shot again. It has been 4 days and my arm is still red and hot.

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had the shot yesterday because I am almost 65.

Comment from: julia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was given the pneumococcal vaccine at a routine Medicare Physical on August 15, 2013.

Comment from: berthatheblues, 65-74 Female Published: March 08

It will be two months since I had the pneumonia vaccine. I have been in pain which radiates from my shoulder down to my joints in my hand. I went to the doctor because I couldn't move my arm for two weeks. It is as though the shot has affected my joints.

Comment from: Birddog, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

This is my second pneumonia vaccine and for the second time, it is horrible. The pain is awful. Even if I am not moving my arm it is a 7 out of 10 on the pain scale. When I move my arm it is a 10. I remember this from last time. I hope to never ever, ever have to get it again. I am 34 and got it for recurrent pneumothorax.