Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had chest pain on right side and over right shoulder. I thought I was having a heart attack. In the morning I called my doctor. He said it was probably pleurisy and told me to go in. He prescribed an NSAID which was too strong. It made me sick to my stomach even though I took it with a meal.

Comment from: Seapoint, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I recently underwent a quadruple bypass and have been slowly recovering. Five days ago I started getting a sharp pain in my right lung. It got worse and I couldn't breathe. I went immediately to my doctor who diagnosed pleurisy. He gave me a big bottle of ibuprofen 600 mg tablets. He prescribed that I take it three times a day with food. I felt an immediate cessation of pain by the end of the first day. By the second day I was able to breathe without any problem and by the third day I stopped taking Ibuprofen tablets because I was pain free and able to breathe normally. The only drawback was a stomach reaction, lots of gas and some dry heaves which stopped as soon as I ceased taking the pills. I hope that my experience will be of some help to those still looking for relief.

Comment from: bunchaflowers, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I began having chest pain and after not having slept for 2 nights went to the emergency room. After much testing, I was diagnosed with pleurisy and sent home with steroid dose pack. Five years later, same pain, and ruled out heart and lung embolus. I suggested pleurisy since it felt so much like the incident 5 years prior so he started me on a steroid dose pack and voila! Fixed me right up!

Comment from: CS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I was sitting on the backs of my legs/ankles on the floor wrapping Christmas ornaments for about 40 minutes. When I tried to stand up, I couldn't put any weight on my right leg and I couldn't bend or straighten it either. It was almost two days before I could put any weight on it.

Comment from: pain in ....., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had the respiratory flu this winter, 2 bouts of pneumonia, and now have what is believed to be pleurisy. My doctor however cannot tell me if this is what I have. I have been to the walk-in clinic twice and my general physician once, been through a round of antibiotic, a round of steroids and now anti-inflammatory, but nothing relieves the pain. My pain has moved from the lower left lung and chest, and back to the upper left chest and back and now the center of my upper chest. I am worried it is something more, I wonder if blood test and maybe a CT scan should be done. It has been 2 1/2 weeks of very bad pain.

Comment from: VINEET, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

If anyone suffering is from pleurisy than I suggest stop smoking at once. And a deep breath can work instantly. As I know doctor may be unable to diagnose it. No medicine works on it. I suffered with it. By chance I got a sneeze and pain went immediately.

Comment from: diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have pleurisy from lupus/rheumatoid arthritis. They gave me prednisone, it is not working and hurts when I bend down to pick something up or tie my shoes. It reaches across my whole chest and hurts, not really any pain breathing, but sharp pains in the chest off and on. I am going to the doctor to see if they will do x-ray since I have no relief. My chest burns almost like heartburn but not as bad, just want it gone.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?