Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?

Comment from: Birkshire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

For the past two months I have been unwell and had severe pain on the left side of my chest. It was always more severe when I moved or took a deep breath. I also have a slight cough, I've also had terrible nausea for this period of time. A month ago I ended up in the emergency department and was kept in overnight. I was told it was Pleurisy and given antibiotics and morphine for the pain. The following week it still hadn't cleared up and so I went back to the local doctor with my papers from the hospital saying it was Pleurisy and the doctor had the cheek to say that perhaps I may have pulled a muscle. I was finally given a double dose of antibiotics, before these started to work I had terrible pain on the bottom of my right lung -- the pain was horrible. I finally felt fantastic for the first time in two months and thought it was finally over. Now a week later I'm feeling sick with no appetite, pain in my chest, exhausted and just generally unwell. When will it end? So for all the other sufferers who I have just read their stories, good luck, and I hope you all feel better soon, because it is very debilitating.

Comment from: annie123, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am 17 years old, in grade 12. I don't smoke, drink, have any medical problems or am taking any medications. I have a healthy body weight, and to put simply, I am overall a healthy young girl. The first time I had symptoms, the pain lasted around 10-15 minutes then subsequently decreased after taking Tums. I thought it was really severe heart burn, though I have never had heart burn and thought it was odd that it was that painful. Turns out, it just "happened" to start to go away after I took the Tums. The next time this occurred, I woke up at 4 am with the severe stabbing pain again in the middle of my chest. I tried the Tums again- no help. I didn't think I was having a heart attack but the pain was enough to go to the ER. I arrived with no health card, luckily in Canada you can get all medical care fast (and free). If you are under 18 even without your health card. I rated the pain a 10 (worst in my life) and they proceeded to ask me questions while I was hunched over in pain. They eventually listened to my heart/ lungs, conducted an EKG, and ruled out some possibilities and told me it was a Pleural Effusion (Pleurisy.) They gave me 600mg of Ibuprofen, but by this point the pain began to decrease on its own. They said it was probably from some sort of infection and it should go away on its own. If it happens again, I will bring my health card or go to my family doctor for a better analysis.

Comment from: tonyalynn2008, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am 30 years old and in good health. I, too, was just told that I have pleurisy. I had a stabbing chest pain that made it difficult to breathe. I am glad I came across this blog because I was worried. I had always thought pleurisy was only related to heart conditions. The ER doctor said that it is just inflammation in the chest, and he, like many of you, sent me home with ibuprofen and vicodin. This is the first experience I have had. I hope that is nothing more. All of you guys have put my mind at ease. Thanks.

Comment from: Billie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had noticed that I had shortness of breath for a couple of days prior to going to the ER with horrible pain in my right breast and upper arm with slight swelling, at the ER they did the usual test, Chest X-Ray, EKG, blood work etc. The ER Doctor said that they found no problems with the entire test and to follow up with local Doctor when I returned to my home town, I was given 2 meds- Ketoprofen and Hydrocodone, as of today I still do not have relief this has been 6 days.

Comment from: Krista Gagean, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 29 year old female. I have been sick lately but was feeling better yesterday until the latter part of the day. I started getting this deep sharp pain in my chest that seemed to get worse when I take a deep breath or if I do anything to make my heart beat faster. I went to the ER at 2 this morning after being woken up from the horrible pain. After 2 hours a chest x-ray, blood tests and an EKG I was told it is Pleurisy. I was given Vicoden and a prescription for 600MG ibuprophin and told to continue my antibiotics. It's a little more tolerable now but from what I have been reading it looks like the battle is far from over.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?