Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am now suffering from my third attach of pleurisy in less than two years. I am a 28-year-old female in good health but I can't seem to shake this pleurisy. It seems to occur every six months or so. I get stabbing pains and severe burning in my lungs, which is felt in my chest, back, and throat. Along with shortness of breath, it almost feels as if there is a weight on my chest. My doctor always gives me a nebulizer treatment and sends me home with 800 mg ibuprofen and an inhaler. This time she also prescribed me Medrol (a steroid). It also makes me incredibly exhausted and lightheaded.

Comment from: Elizarose34, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I'm 34, female and typically pretty healthy. I came down with the flu on early this year and after two weeks of fever and sleep finally started to feel better but still had a cough, another week went by and I was finally feeling better except I noticed a very tender spot on my left chest under the breast. Over the course of the week the pain/tenderness spread across my side and down my ribcage. I could swear I had broken ribs because it was so tender to touch and hurt to move, breathe, cough etc. Went to the doctor today because OTC pain meds weren't working and the pain seemed to be spreading. Aleve seemed to help better than Tylenol or ibuprofen. The doctor said it was pleurisy and gave me a steroid shot and prescription for prednisone. No pain meds yet because he wanted to see if the steroid would help the pain first. I wouldn't describe my pain as sharp but more like a very sore muscle.

Comment from: Birkshire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

For the past two months I have been unwell and had severe pain on the left side of my chest. It was always more severe when I moved or took a deep breath. I also have a slight cough, I've also had terrible nausea for this period of time. A month ago I ended up in the emergency department and was kept in overnight. I was told it was Pleurisy and given antibiotics and morphine for the pain. The following week it still hadn't cleared up and so I went back to the local doctor with my papers from the hospital saying it was Pleurisy and the doctor had the cheek to say that perhaps I may have pulled a muscle. I was finally given a double dose of antibiotics, before these started to work I had terrible pain on the bottom of my right lung -- the pain was horrible. I finally felt fantastic for the first time in two months and thought it was finally over. Now a week later I'm feeling sick with no appetite, pain in my chest, exhausted and just generally unwell. When will it end? So for all the other sufferers who I have just read their stories, good luck, and I hope you all feel better soon, because it is very debilitating.

Comment from: annie123, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am 17 years old, in grade 12. I don't smoke, drink, have any medical problems or am taking any medications. I have a healthy body weight, and to put simply, I am overall a healthy young girl. The first time I had symptoms, the pain lasted around 10-15 minutes then subsequently decreased after taking Tums. I thought it was really severe heart burn, though I have never had heart burn and thought it was odd that it was that painful. Turns out, it just "happened" to start to go away after I took the Tums. The next time this occurred, I woke up at 4 am with the severe stabbing pain again in the middle of my chest. I tried the Tums again- no help. I didn't think I was having a heart attack but the pain was enough to go to the ER. I arrived with no health card, luckily in Canada you can get all medical care fast (and free). If you are under 18 even without your health card. I rated the pain a 10 (worst in my life) and they proceeded to ask me questions while I was hunched over in pain. They eventually listened to my heart/ lungs, conducted an EKG, and ruled out some possibilities and told me it was a Pleural Effusion (Pleurisy.) They gave me 600mg of Ibuprofen, but by this point the pain began to decrease on its own. They said it was probably from some sort of infection and it should go away on its own. If it happens again, I will bring my health card or go to my family doctor for a better analysis.

Comment from: tonyalynn2008, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am 30 years old and in good health. I, too, was just told that I have pleurisy. I had a stabbing chest pain that made it difficult to breathe. I am glad I came across this blog because I was worried. I had always thought pleurisy was only related to heart conditions. The ER doctor said that it is just inflammation in the chest, and he, like many of you, sent me home with ibuprofen and vicodin. This is the first experience I have had. I hope that is nothing more. All of you guys have put my mind at ease. Thanks.

Comment from: Billie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had noticed that I had shortness of breath for a couple of days prior to going to the ER with horrible pain in my right breast and upper arm with slight swelling, at the ER they did the usual test, Chest X-Ray, EKG, blood work etc. The ER Doctor said that they found no problems with the entire test and to follow up with local Doctor when I returned to my home town, I was given 2 meds- Ketoprofen and Hydrocodone, as of today I still do not have relief this has been 6 days.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?