Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?

Comment from: Missy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Got stung by some kind of bee or wasp om the back of my neck 7 days ago don't think I got the stinger out I have had some swelling and redness and severe pain in the neck and some. Burning. A lot of stiffness. Doctor gave me some antibiotics for a bacterial infection not helping.

Comment from: Glorybeeze, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I spent five hours in the ER yesterday with severe pain in my left upper chest with a chronic cough and back pain. I also had an EKG, chest X-ray, oxygen, and two different sets of blood work. They decided it was the beginning stages of pleurisy. In the past, I had sarcoidosis in 1991, and pneumonia in 2009 and in 2010. This is some of the worst pain I've had. All they sent me home with was oxycodone.

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I was also diagnosed with pleurisy last week, I went to my doctor after having a pain in my upper left back and flu/fever symptoms over the weekend, when my doctor checked me out he advised I go to the hospital for a chest X-ray and blood tests of which I did. When I got to hospital I had the X-ray and was admitted to AAU for my bloods and further tests of which came back as pleurisy and a chest infection but was allowed home later that night with Clarithromycin and pain killers as the pain in my back was so bad, never experienced pain like it. I'm glad to say the 5 days later although I still have pain in my back. I feel so much better and my chest is now loosening so the medication is working, the hospital did say it could take 5 to 6 weeks to clear up.

Comment from: keelie2013, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I was told I have pleurisy but my symptoms are nowhere as severe as those who have posted on here. I feel really well, short of breath only a bit, and it's just a dull ache, not a stabbing pain. But this has been happening on and off for almost 3 years. I have been told that if it's viral and since I have never had a fever that it must be there is really no treatment except Advil or Aleve. It hurts when I breath deep, sneeze, cough, yawn or belch. I'm just tired of it and of course there is all the talk about underlying conditions like cancer. I mean you can't stump your toe these days without it being cancer. Sorry, frustration is getting me down.

Comment from: Lauren, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with pleurisy a while ago, on Saturday I went into accident and emergency described my pain and what was happening. The doctor sent me home and said I just pulled a muscle. I couldn't sleep all night, I couldn't even breathe or lay down or it would feel like my chest is closing up and I can't breathe, I posted something on Facebook at 12.30am and 1 am I got a phone call it was a good friend who is a registered nurse. At 3 am I was admitted with query UTI and a pulled muscle. The next afternoon they sent me for an X-ray and the morning after they diagnosed me with pleurisy they started me on antibiotics. Worst pain imaginable.

Comment from: Cherokey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I went to the ER on last Saturday and was diagnosed with Pleurisy. All the ER doctor prescribed was hydrocodone/ibuprophen. He did not order an x-ray or anything. The pain is back and the shortness of breath as well. I cannot seem to shake this low grade fever and nausea.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am now suffering from my third attach of pleurisy in less than two years. I am a 28-year-old female in good health but I can't seem to shake this pleurisy. It seems to occur every six months or so. I get stabbing pains and severe burning in my lungs, which is felt in my chest, back, and throat. Along with shortness of breath, it almost feels as if there is a weight on my chest. My doctor always gives me a nebulizer treatment and sends me home with 800 mg ibuprofen and an inhaler. This time she also prescribed me Medrol (a steroid). It also makes me incredibly exhausted and lightheaded.

Comment from: Elizarose34, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I'm 34, female and typically pretty healthy. I came down with the flu on early this year and after two weeks of fever and sleep finally started to feel better but still had a cough, another week went by and I was finally feeling better except I noticed a very tender spot on my left chest under the breast. Over the course of the week the pain/tenderness spread across my side and down my ribcage. I could swear I had broken ribs because it was so tender to touch and hurt to move, breathe, cough etc. Went to the doctor today because OTC pain meds weren't working and the pain seemed to be spreading. Aleve seemed to help better than Tylenol or ibuprofen. The doctor said it was pleurisy and gave me a steroid shot and prescription for prednisone. No pain meds yet because he wanted to see if the steroid would help the pain first. I wouldn't describe my pain as sharp but more like a very sore muscle.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?