Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?

Comment from: sara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have had pain under my right breast for two weeks now which radiates down my rib cage and under/in my right arm. When it started two weeks ago, I had a low grade fever which doesn't show up because my normal body temp is 97 when well. I feel very weak and don't want to do much. This is unusual in that I keep a one acre yard maintained with a push mower and help my daughter 3 days a week with her three foster babies so I am not a weakling. I have not had a lot of sleep in the past two weeks and feel nauseous and break into a sweat often. Finally I visited the doctor and he said 'I don't hear any congestion' so just have a physical (which is another month). I have previously been diagnosed with Sjogren's, arthritis, Hashimoto's, and I have a small nodule on my lung, liver and gallbladder which is due for another CT scan in 4 months. I feel like I am on my own and hopeless until the physical. In the meantime I get relief from Breathe Easy tea and lying on my stomach. I am wheat and dairy intolerant as these also bring on the pleurisy symptoms among other symptoms.

Comment from: Arnoldplace, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I woke up with intense shoulder pain that had been creating up all week. I thought it was stress. Then I bent down to feed the cats and I couldn"t catch my breath, my left lung was piercing in pain with every breath. A trip to the emergency room (ER) via ambulance, and it was pleurisy. I was sent home with turbo Motrin that makes me want to eat a house, and I am still in pain when it wears off. It has been 5 days now and I am exhausted and tired of the pain. I am a 44 year old teacher.

Comment from: Kristy26, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was diagnosed with pleurisy last week after getting a chest X-ray from which I thought it was going to be pneumonia. I was diagnosed with bronchitis four weeks prior and was on a ten day antibiotic. I figured pneumonia would be normal for me since I have a long history of getting it around this time and I have asthma as well. I had been having a nonstop sharp shooting pain in my left lung, shoulder and chest region. They gave me a prescription for 600 mg of Motrin but that didn't ease the pain. The pain was reduced a little for a few days and I woke up today with the pain so unbearable all I could do was cry because I feel so hopeless. It's the worst pain I've ever experienced and it's every second of every day.

Comment from: margie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 54-year-old woman in good health. Over the weekend I started having pain in the right side of my chest, shoulder, and back--especially when I breathe, cough, sneeze, bend my head, etc. I went to the ER because a nurse friend said it sounded like pleurisy. After a six-hour wait in the ER, they told me they couldn't find any reason for my pain and sent me home with pain medication. An X-ray and blood work came back fine. Six days later, I'm still in severe pain. Any ideas? I don't know what to do to feel better.

Comment from: thishurts66, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

For the past 3 weeks I have had a severe cough and last week I got a fever and couldn't get out of bed and to make a long story short, now that I am feeling better I still have a cough and on my left side up high I have been having severe pain for the last 6 days and it has never gone away. It's a very sharp stabbing pain when I move in any direction and it hurts to lay down in any position any way I went to the doctor the other day and he said he thinks it's the "lining around my lung is inflamed." I thought it was a broken rib and I still kind of think it is, the doctor gave me Percocet and it's not even touching the pain.

Comment from: Swoopz86, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 25 year old female and I, too have pleurisy. It was painful first in my back. I thought maybe I slept wrong...nope...pain got worse and then became to the front of my chest. I thought maybe i was having a heart attack! I felt scared and hopeless. I had to squeeze my left breast to ease the pain. I cried so hard because it was the fear of the unknown. The ER doctor sent me home with 800mg Motrin and Percocet . They gave me morphine and children's Tylenol and Percocet's while in the er after having a ct scan, chest X-ray, blood work, etc. I've had pain since but not as intense. It feels good to know I'm not alone.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?