Patient Comments: Pleurisy - Causes

What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?

Comment from: murphy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I went to a well-known home improvement store and bought several bags of dirt, came home and cut one of the bags open. As I pulled the edges open this big puff of gray dust plumped out and I started choking and fanning it away. Not thinking much about it I opened two more and had the same situation took them back to the store and was treated as if I was stupid and overly paranoid. Now looking back I realize that from that point I started feeling bad, tired, everything tasted funny, and as the weeks (2-3) went on I started feeling fatigued and wanted to sleep more through the daytime. I then started getting what I thought a muscle spasm in my right back shoulder area. Then I kept getting spasms and not able to breathe well. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and called a good friend very early one morning and asked them to take me to the hospital. I was in so much pain I was crying. They said I had pneumonia in my lower and middle right lung and that I could stay and take antibiotics there or go home and take them for 5 days. I opted to go home. Well, about 12 hours later I was screaming in pain and gasping for air. The emergency medical technician (EMT) took me to another hospital, I was there for a week.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My pleurisy is caused by rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I have persistent pleural effusion. On the other lung I have nodules.

Comment from: AUDREY, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

My mother died when she was 29 years old, I was a baby, and I am now 74. My grandmother insisted she died from pleurisy which she got because a nurse gave her an ice bath in error. However, we were told she died from a blood clot due to having been kept in bed for 2 weeks after having her appendix removed. She passed 1 day before she was to be released from the hospital. Just wondering which story to believe, my brother insists my grandmother is correct.

Comment from: Grace, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

Today I was in the kitchen making food and all of a sudden I felt like I got stabbed in my upper right shoulder through my chest, pretty much where my right breast is. One of the worst sharp/stabbing pains I've ever felt. I have been having trouble getting a big breath for the past couple of days and now I can't get a breath without extreme pain. It's a little better when I'm lying in bed propped up, but when I stand it gets 10 times worse. I am currently on antibiotics for a bacterial infection in my stomach. I don't know what is going on but if I'm not any better by tomorrow I'm going to my doctor. Wondering if it sounds like pleurisy.

Comment from: stevenson, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 23

I too was diagnosed with pleurisy a month ago, I felt like I was dying and didn't know what is killing me. But thanks to my doctor, today I am a little bit better than I was a month ago. I have arthritis and so I guess that's how it began with me. But I am treating my arthritis every day and exercising what my doctor told me to do because when I jog I produces enough sputum to alleviate the pain and I am taking medication which helps a lot, especially Xycam which helps with inflammation and omega 3 for the heart.

Comment from: Ja-me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I recently had my yearly mammogram. When the technician clamped down on my right side I saw stars. I mentioned that this one really hurt. She said they always do. A week later I was in the emergency room having trouble breathing with tremendous pain in my right side. I had not felt right since that mammogram. I had chest x-ray and was diagnosed with pleurisy. I wonder if the mammogram can have caused this. I am so frustrated!

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?
Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?