Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: Deputy Dog, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 09

I had an ongoing cough and woke up during Friday night with pain in the right chest. I thought that I had pulled a muscle during a coughing fit while sleeping. The pain was specific in the area below the right nipple and was stabbing whenever I coughed, breathed deep or moved suddenly. I was unable to get back to deep sleep the rest of the night. I took it slow during the day on Saturday and went to bed. I was unable to sleep due to sharp stabbing pains that just got worse as time passed. By morning I went to the emergency room (ER) and was in so much pain I was unable to answer questions and luckily had my wife with me. After eight hours in the ER under morphine I was admitted still with pain. CT, x-rays, numerous blood draws and sonogram ruled out heart problems, blood/air clot in the lung. I spent the night under pain medications and was diagnosed with pleurisy the next day and released from the hospital with a regimen of 600 mg ibuprofen three times daily. I am still having some pain when deep breathing and sudden movement or lying down a day later but it is manageable.

Comment from: ellie1596, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

A while back, (February/march) I was diagnosed with pneumonia for the second time and was given the typical antibiotic to relieve my sickness. About three weeks later I wound up in a hospital and after 6 hours spent and getting nowhere, I was unofficially diagnosed with pleurisy. The doctor told me only to take ibuprofen every day for 2 weeks and I would be fine. I felt better but always have had dull little pains since. Now, the pain is full on back and I am trying to get in to see a physician again. My fear is that it is something worse.

Comment from: LYNNELL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had first congestive heart failure (CHF), discovered by my pacemaker check. Then a week later I found out I have pleurisy from an ultra sound, followed by a CT scan. I am on 40 mg of Lasix for my CHF and nothing for the pleurisy. They said there just going to keep their eye on it.

Comment from: Mschips, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I just came back from the emergency room (ER). After a chest x-ray, CT-scan, and blood work, the doctor said it was a type of pleurisy. I get this every year. I have rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and this seems to be a result of that. I always get antibiotics which seems to clear it up pretty fast. I am also on a daily dose of prednisone due to the RA. No known reason why the pleurisy is recurrent.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had just finished eating dinner, relaxing and watching T.V. when I had extreme chest pain under my left breast. I have a mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and at first I thought it was the stabbing pain I sometimes get from it, but this was lasting too long and so severe that I could not sit up straight or take a deep breath. After 20 minutes of this pain it was time to go to the emergency room, they did a EKG, chest X-ray, CT scan and blood work. I was admitted overnight and next day they said It was not cardiac related and to see my doctor for a follow up. When the morphine they gave me at the hospital wore off I was still in extreme pain so my doctor's office said go back to the emergency room, this time the admitting nurse said it could be pleurisy, after the ER doctor at the second hospital saw me she said it is pleurisy. I had never heard of it before, I do not like to take any pills even aspirin but the pain is so extreme that I"m thankful for and willing to take the Vicodin they prescribed. I follow up with my doctor and two other specialist in a week, I wish I"d still never heard of this. Good luck to those of you reading this hang in there, and find out as much as you can.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?