Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had just finished eating dinner, relaxing and watching T.V. when I had extreme chest pain under my left breast. I have a mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and at first I thought it was the stabbing pain I sometimes get from it, but this was lasting too long and so severe that I could not sit up straight or take a deep breath. After 20 minutes of this pain it was time to go to the emergency room, they did a EKG, chest X-ray, CT scan and blood work. I was admitted overnight and next day they said It was not cardiac related and to see my doctor for a follow up. When the morphine they gave me at the hospital wore off I was still in extreme pain so my doctor's office said go back to the emergency room, this time the admitting nurse said it could be pleurisy, after the ER doctor at the second hospital saw me she said it is pleurisy. I had never heard of it before, I do not like to take any pills even aspirin but the pain is so extreme that I"m thankful for and willing to take the Vicodin they prescribed. I follow up with my doctor and two other specialist in a week, I wish I"d still never heard of this. Good luck to those of you reading this hang in there, and find out as much as you can.

Comment from: Loulou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I just have been diagnosed with pleurisy, I usually do not like to go to see doctors but I have severe pain on the chest and cannot laugh, cough, sneeze and lying down is the most painful thing to do. I tried pain killer and it helped a little bit. The doctor asked to have some X-rays and the lungs are clear, no broken rib, the sensation of the pain will let you think you have certainly a broken rib but the results came negative. The lector prescribe a shot of steroid which she said will help the inflammation of the layers around the lungs to shrink, I do not know what is the length of time the pleurisy needs to heel.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

Late in the work day I started to feel a stabbing pain in my chest. The pain was not severe, but I knew something was not right. That night the pain increased. I could not sleep because every other breath was painful. The deeper the breath the more pain I felt. For a few minutes I thought I could be having a minor heart attack, but the location of the pain was at the top of my rib cage, on the right hand side, just below my chest, nowhere near my heart. Early the next morning the pain had not subsided, so I went to the hospital for treatment. The only symptom I could provide the doctor was the stabbing pain during deep breaths. He took first checked for inflamed organs then ordered chest x-rays. He found a tiny area between the two linings where fluid was built up. He decided to treat it as if it was pneumonia. I was prescribed ibuprofen, anti-biotics, and pain medicine.

Comment from: EP, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I'm 13 year old boy. About a week after my appendectomy in May I had flu like symptoms and a dry cough for a week. A week later I had dull pains in my chest the GP could not find reason for it. Pediatrician ordered EKG and heart sonar, all normal. Pains worsened to sharp, stabbing pains. Last week I had severe chest pain and shortness of breath, pain under my arm and around to my back. I thought for sure that I am the first child ever to get a heart attack. My Mom took me to GP he could not find reason for symptoms and then she took me to 2nd GP who diagnosed me with pleurisy after a stethoscope exam. Bloodtest's revealed nothing. I drink Cepodem antibiotics for possible bacterial infection, and get lots of rest and eat healthy foods. I have relief when I sit in a bent over position with my chest on my knees. I try to take deep breaths even if this is more painful to prevent shortness of breath. I get more relief from 2 Suncodin tablets per day than from Ibuprofen. I'm waiting to get better. . EP

Comment from: Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I was diagnosed in the ER. I thought I was having a heart attack since the pain was on the right side of my left lung. I went through all the tests to rule out a heart attack and then $1500.00 later the doctor said it was pleurisy. He sent me home with 800 mg ibuprophen and a prescription pain medicine and told me to stay in bed for 4 days. That was about 5-6 years ago. I was 31-32 years old. I did smoke for a long time but I quite when I was 29. Since then I have had Pleurisy 4 times. The 4th time is right now. With the 2-4 time I have not been sick before getting it. It just woke me up at 4:00 a.m. this morning. I don't have health insurance so I just take 4 200mg ibuprophen 4 times a day and rest as much as possible until the pain goes away. I was told by a friend that once you have pleurisy it never goes away. It just lies dormant in your body and you have reoccurring episodes.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?