Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: LYNNELL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had first congestive heart failure (CHF), discovered by my pacemaker check. Then a week later I found out I have pleurisy from an ultra sound, followed by a CT scan. I am on 40 mg of Lasix for my CHF and nothing for the pleurisy. They said there just going to keep their eye on it.

Comment from: Mschips, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I just came back from the emergency room (ER). After a chest x-ray, CT-scan, and blood work, the doctor said it was a type of pleurisy. I get this every year. I have rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and this seems to be a result of that. I always get antibiotics which seems to clear it up pretty fast. I am also on a daily dose of prednisone due to the RA. No known reason why the pleurisy is recurrent.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had just finished eating dinner, relaxing and watching T.V. when I had extreme chest pain under my left breast. I have a mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and at first I thought it was the stabbing pain I sometimes get from it, but this was lasting too long and so severe that I could not sit up straight or take a deep breath. After 20 minutes of this pain it was time to go to the emergency room, they did a EKG, chest X-ray, CT scan and blood work. I was admitted overnight and next day they said It was not cardiac related and to see my doctor for a follow up. When the morphine they gave me at the hospital wore off I was still in extreme pain so my doctor's office said go back to the emergency room, this time the admitting nurse said it could be pleurisy, after the ER doctor at the second hospital saw me she said it is pleurisy. I had never heard of it before, I do not like to take any pills even aspirin but the pain is so extreme that I"m thankful for and willing to take the Vicodin they prescribed. I follow up with my doctor and two other specialist in a week, I wish I"d still never heard of this. Good luck to those of you reading this hang in there, and find out as much as you can.

Comment from: Loulou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I just have been diagnosed with pleurisy, I usually do not like to go to see doctors but I have severe pain on the chest and cannot laugh, cough, sneeze and lying down is the most painful thing to do. I tried pain killer and it helped a little bit. The doctor asked to have some X-rays and the lungs are clear, no broken rib, the sensation of the pain will let you think you have certainly a broken rib but the results came negative. The lector prescribe a shot of steroid which she said will help the inflammation of the layers around the lungs to shrink, I do not know what is the length of time the pleurisy needs to heel.

Comment from: Lexibics, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I suffer from recurring pleurisy. Each time it starts with extreme exhaustion followed by acute pain. I have now had just about every test done to find the cause but the doctors can't find one and one doctor told me I was just unlucky. I have just experienced my 9th episode in 3 years. It is an extremely painful condition and the fatigue is the worst I have ever had to deal with. I am now waiting to see the head consultant at a pleural clinic at my local hospital.

Comment from: Souxie56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I got my annual flu shot and a pneumonia vaccine that are available this year and woke up at 1:30 am with severe pain in the left side and difficulty breathing. No warning whatsoever. I got Celebrex which did nothing. After 4 days the doctor put me on a steroid pack and Tylenol 3 with codeine and I am greatly improved, but not near pain free. I have had pleurisy several times and this treatment has worked for me every time. I asked the doctor if it was possible it was an allergic reaction to the vaccinations and he said if it was, though it is extremely rare. I am hesitating to get the chest x-rays since I am improving so well. My insurance will no longer cover the cost of these x-rays.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?