Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: dierseve, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

After blood, urine, EKG, x-rays, stethoscope exam, respiration, etc. everything was ok, except for a raised temperature. Then the doctor entered the room, and pressed on the chest in certain areas, that proved to be very painful. This is how the diagnosis was made. Pain killers and relaxants, along with moist heating pads, were prescribed. Activity brings on pain. It has been 4 days, no improvement.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: August 17

At 8:30 one evening I felt a twinge in my right side under my arm and down to my waist. At 3:00 AM I awoke with horrible pain. I couldn't breathe and I couldn't move without pain. I walked around and perspired for 3 hours before husband woke and took me to the hospital. EKG, CT, Blood work, X-ray all were negative. The doctor sent me home after two shots of morphine and one of Toradol with prescription for pain. No Diagnosis. Once home, I started checking on the computer. I have recently had a very bad upper respiratory infection, been on a 2 month trip, and I have Sjögren's Syndrome. All are perfect reasons to suspect Pleurisy. It has been 3 days and while the pain is decreasing slowly, I am having more and more shortness of breath with any type of movement.

Comment from: mags, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have just been diagnosed with pleurisy. I am prone to bronchitis and the doc thinks this is how I got the pleurisy. I work in a school and children are always bringing germs in. This is the first time (and last I hope) that I have been this ill with what I thought was a bad cold.

Comment from: Chloe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was diagnosed with Lupus about 10 years ago. I occasionally have what my doctor calls a "flare" and I will have joint pain, mostly my hands and knees, and I will have chest pain, which is pleuritis.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: October 09

I have just been diagnosed with pleurisy through chest and side examination with stethoscope. I am awaiting results of chest X ray. My worse time is at night when I try to lay down, too painful, I have to sleep propped up with pillows. Breathing, coughing, and yawning even burping all hurt so much. It's like a knife been twisted round in my ribs.

Comment from: Annie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I woke up ill in the middle of the night and began vomiting. I couldn't breathe and felt like I was having the classic symptoms of a woman's heart attack. I ended up in the hospital where they found a pleural effusion on a cat scan and also a bleed in my stomach (which was causing the vomiting). They did not drain or biopsy the fluid from my lung and it still hurts but in a nutshell, it felt like a heart attack and was very painful to breathe.

Comment from: Josie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was just diagnosed as possibly having pleurisy but was just put on a C-Pap.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?