Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: Justcrazed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

When I was diagnosed with pleurisy, they did a CT scan and X-rays. The doctor was originally checking for a pulmonary embolism (clot). Since my diagnosis, I have had it three times in six months.

Comment from: lfinniss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had pleurisy three months ago on my side. I had pain for two weeks in my chest and it suddenly got worse, like a heart attack. I went to the hospital, and they ran all the tests for a heart attack and blood clots but found nothing. They are presuming it is pleurisy. They did not give me antibiotics, just serious pain medication. I want to know what caused it and what I can do to prevent it in the future. I am still in severe pain and am finding it hard to work. I had chest pain, pain in the shoulder blades, weakness in the arm, and pain inhaling.

Comment from: lindsayc_33, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was diagnosed in the emergency room. I've been having horrible chest pains for about a month, right in the middle of my chest. Toward the end of the day, I had shortness of breath and sharp shooting pains down the middle of my chest. I let it go, thinking it was a pulled muscle or something. Then it got really bad one night to the point where I was crying, and I never cry about pain. So, I went in to the emergency room and six hours later, I went home with two different pain medications ... and pleurisy. I'm only 16! I'm just planning to take my pain medication, stay home from school and work, and sleep it off. I'm supposed to go back to the doctor in about a week to get it checked again. It's horrible, but I'm hanging in there.

Comment from: Girl Friday, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I have had a reoccurring case of pleurisy that was initially diagnosed in the emergency room and treated with antibiotics. The second time, about two years later, I went to an emergency care facility in the middle of the night and was put on a nebulizer and given an inhaler to take home with me along with antibiotics.

Comment from: winchy woman, 45-54 Female Published: March 05

This is my second time to have pleurisy. I had it the first time about five years ago. It began with a bad cough from a cold. I have it again but no cold this time. I feel it was from beginning to work out at the gym. I could feel it pulling in my side. The best thing to remember is to take deep breaths. Short breathing, though less painful, allows more fluid to settle in your lungs, making you cough even more. So remember to breathe, and sleep with pillows under your shoulders.

Comment from: Rufus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had a really bad cold about four weeks ago. I was then left with a stupid, annoying cough. I didn't feel it warranted a trip to the doctor, so I just dealt with it. Then, this Saturday, I started to have pains in my chest, almost like a cracked rib. I had stabbing pain when I moved, coughed, sneezed, laughed or breathed. I went to work Monday and was in so much pain that I made an appointment to see the nurse. She referred me to the doctor who said it was pleurisy. He sent me to the hospital for a chest X-ray. In the mean time, I am on antibiotics. I have never known such pain. It's worse when I lie down or sit down. I just can't get comfortable.

Comment from: Holly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had throbbing pain in my chest and it hurt to breathe. The pain would increase whenever my blood pressure increased, but I had no other problems, such as a cough. They tested my heart and it was fine; EKG, chest X-ray, etc. and she diagnosed me with pleurisy. I am 24, so they were pretty confident that it was not a heart attack, but it is very painful. They think that I had a cold that traveled into my chest and infected it.

Comment from: daddysgirl925, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was getting a really sharp pain in my chest for about a month. I was at work and a nurse I knew asked me if I was okay. I said I had a really sharp pain in my chest and it got worse as I breathed in, so he took me down to the emergency room. They hooked me up to all kind of machines and gave me an x-ray of my chest. They told me it was pleurisy, but what I'm wondering is why they only gave me pain medicine and not antibiotics too. I'm still in pain and my chest feels really tight. I guess I'm going to have to go to another doctor.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?