Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: IreneP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had a persistent, bad cough for too long -- almost two months! But it started with an allergy to mold, as I was in contact with a lot of mold spores, which gave me asthma and started the coughing. I had bad pains in my back and the coughing was so hard, I had to go to my doctor. She listened extensively and heard the “rubbing.” That is how my pleurisy was diagnosed.

Comment from: Trent, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I'm 24. I play basketball on a competitive level, so I am very fit. I don't smoke, and I rarely drink. I often get muscular pains due to hard exercise, but after four sleepless nights of sharp, stabbing pain in my chest, shoulders, and neck, I went to the doctor today who diagnosed me with pleurisy. He perscribed me antibiotics, so I hope I will be out of pain ASAP!

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

X-ray showed pleural effusion then CT, then I had thoracentesis.

Comment from: Julia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have been told I have pleurisy after seeing 3 different doctors! The pain in my chest is excruciating feels like heart attack had this now for 6 weeks and not improving! Have lost weight have no appetite doing the slightest thing makes me break out in a sweat and the pain! Anyone got any suggestions? I'm at my wits end!

Comment from: Momof5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

If you even suspect pleurisy, get thee to a doctor! I started with a cough from an allergic reaction. The physician's assistant (PA) said, "Take Zyrtec." About two weeks later, I had bronchitis and a big case of the run-arounds from the doctor's office, who phoned in a script for antibiotics, body unseen. Two weeks after that, the pain has dropped to my lower lungs, and feels like I'm being stabbed in my back and in front, just under my right breast. Finally, I got past the receptionist and nurse to see a different PA, who did a spirometer. I couldn't even get enough air to blow it. I got the nebulizer treatment (helped a bit) and was sent for X-rays. Four days later, I had not heard from my doctor and the inhaler was useless, as I couldn't inhale. Finally, I ended up in the ER. The doctor there said that two months with these symptoms was too long, and ran another chest X-ray and did a blood test. There was no sign of an infection and my lungs were totally clean. But my eosinophil count was “off the chart.” So, just because you have no signs of infection does not mean that it is not pleurisy. Don't ignore it. Don't try to self-medicate. Don't take “no” from a nurse or PA. I now have a prescription for prednisone, Tylenol with Codeine, albuterol, Claritin, and a search for a new doctor's office. Be proactive – you would if it was your child who was sick!

Comment from: Justcrazed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

When I was diagnosed with pleurisy, they did a CT scan and X-rays. The doctor was originally checking for a pulmonary embolism (clot). Since my diagnosis, I have had it three times in six months.

Comment from: lfinniss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had pleurisy three months ago on my side. I had pain for two weeks in my chest and it suddenly got worse, like a heart attack. I went to the hospital, and they ran all the tests for a heart attack and blood clots but found nothing. They are presuming it is pleurisy. They did not give me antibiotics, just serious pain medication. I want to know what caused it and what I can do to prevent it in the future. I am still in severe pain and am finding it hard to work. I had chest pain, pain in the shoulder blades, weakness in the arm, and pain inhaling.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?