Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

X-ray showed pleural effusion then CT, then I had thoracentesis.

Comment from: Julia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have been told I have pleurisy after seeing 3 different doctors! The pain in my chest is excruciating feels like heart attack had this now for 6 weeks and not improving! Have lost weight have no appetite doing the slightest thing makes me break out in a sweat and the pain! Anyone got any suggestions? I'm at my wits end!

Comment from: Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I was diagnosed in the ER. I thought I was having a heart attack since the pain was on the right side of my left lung. I went through all the tests to rule out a heart attack and then $1500.00 later the doctor said it was pleurisy. He sent me home with 800 mg ibuprophen and a prescription pain medicine and told me to stay in bed for 4 days. That was about 5-6 years ago. I was 31-32 years old. I did smoke for a long time but I quite when I was 29. Since then I have had Pleurisy 4 times. The 4th time is right now. With the 2-4 time I have not been sick before getting it. It just woke me up at 4:00 a.m. this morning. I don't have health insurance so I just take 4 200mg ibuprophen 4 times a day and rest as much as possible until the pain goes away. I was told by a friend that once you have pleurisy it never goes away. It just lies dormant in your body and you have reoccurring episodes.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I am 22 years old and I am going on a month dealing with pleurisy complications. I had surgery to remove a rib up by my neck related to a car accident about a month ago and had a minor complications. I got a nicked lung that resulted in a small collapse in my lung. I bounced back fine and was released from the hospital the next day. About 2 weeks later though, I still didn't feel myself. I had horrible muscle spasms in my back and side and was so winded and out of breath. I started running low grade fevers and decided to go to the ER. They did a chest CT and found that I had significant build-up of blood and a clot surrounding my left lung. I had a chest tube placed immediately in the ER (extremely painful) and was in the hospital for 3 days before they took the tube out and let me return home. After being home for only 36 hours, my symptoms returned with aggression and I was back at the hospital, this time I had so much fluid build-up (as a result of inflammation from my chest tube) that they decided to operate. I had surgery 5 days ago to scope my chest cavity and drain a quart of fluid from my chest. They left a chest tube in for 2 1/2 days and I came home 2 days ago. I am struggling with continuous pain from the large incisions in my side from the 2 chest tubes and still feel weak and short of breath. Be persistent. It is scary and the symptoms can be fairly non-descript. You know your body best. I have learned that from this experience. I am 22 and I think that my doctors take me much more seriously now that they see how critically sick I was. Hopefully I am out of the woods now, but I have the battle scars to show the painful experience that I went through.

Comment from: rhino1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I am a male in my early 40s. I woke up this morning with pain in my chest left side especially sharp when breathing in. I have often felt this throughout my life, but in short bouts maybe 10-30 minutes. I would just keep trying to breathe in until it would go away. This one went on for 4 hours and got me thinking it may be related to my heart, especially since I smoke 1.5 packs/day. My wife took me to the hospital, by then pain was much worse and felt like it was spreading. After an EKG, blood work and x rays I was told all looked fine and that I most likely had pleurisy. After hearing what this was it made perfect sense. When I would breathe in or lay on my right side it felt as though something sharp was poking my lung and was very painful. I was given some inflammatory medicine via IV and given scripts for ibuprofen and Percocet and was told it would heal itself in about 1 week. I was also given instructions to drink a lot of water and get extra rest and to work on breathing in deep and stretching every hour while awake. It has now been about 3 hours since I was released (4 hours in ER) and the sharp pains have greatly subsided but am tired and worn out from the day's event.

Comment from: msdick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I just got out of the hospital today. A couple of days ago I felt a dull pain in my left chest. It was just an uncomfortable felling like a pulled muscle. I wanted to reach in there and stretch it out. Then it got to where it felt like a mass in my lung, like a ball or something. I then got real sharp pains when I would breathe in deep, the pain shot up to my shoulders and under my arm, so of course I think I am having a heart attack. They did all the blood tests, EKG's and things that you have all discussed. No heart problems at all. They say its dry pleurisy and it is like sand paper. All I know is it is very painful and constant pain. I am wondering now why so many of you got antibiotics and I didn't? They gave me strong Ibuprophen and Oxycodone?

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?