Patient Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: Zoey2015, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had pleurisy about a year ago and think I have it again. I have been in to see my doctor a few days ago. I unfortunately failed an EKG and then a stress test. I was sent to a cardiologist who wants be to have an angiogram this week. My fear is I am going to have this procedure done on my heart and it is pleurisy again. No one will make a pleurisy diagnosis. I don't want to refuse to have the angiogram and then find out it was a heart condition and have something even worse happen but certainly don't want to go through a procedure like this unnecessarily.

Comment from: Souxie56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I got my annual flu shot and a pneumonia vaccine that are available this year and woke up at 1:30 am with severe pain in the left side and difficulty breathing. No warning whatsoever. I got Celebrex which did nothing. After 4 days the doctor put me on a steroid pack and Tylenol 3 with codeine and I am greatly improved, but not near pain free. I have had pleurisy several times and this treatment has worked for me every time. I asked the doctor if it was possible it was an allergic reaction to the vaccinations and he said if it was, though it is extremely rare. I am hesitating to get the chest x-rays since I am improving so well. My insurance will no longer cover the cost of these x-rays.

Comment from: Lexibics, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I suffer from recurring pleurisy. Each time it starts with extreme exhaustion followed by acute pain. I have now had just about every test done to find the cause but the doctors can't find one and one doctor told me I was just unlucky. I have just experienced my 9th episode in 3 years. It is an extremely painful condition and the fatigue is the worst I have ever had to deal with. I am now waiting to see the head consultant at a pleural clinic at my local hospital.

Comment from: Loulou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I just have been diagnosed with pleurisy, I usually do not like to go to see doctors but I have severe pain on the chest and cannot laugh, cough, sneeze and lying down is the most painful thing to do. I tried pain killer and it helped a little bit. The doctor asked to have some X-rays and the lungs are clear, no broken rib, the sensation of the pain will let you think you have certainly a broken rib but the results came negative. The lector prescribe a shot of steroid which she said will help the inflammation of the layers around the lungs to shrink, I do not know what is the length of time the pleurisy needs to heel.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am in my second battle with pleurisy. It started in November 2014 with a sensation that my entire right rib cage was being crushed. I've gotten better with antibiotics, only to have the pain flare up in as little as two days after the last antibiotic pill. Decades ago I suffered second degree burns. The pain of pleurisy rivals that of being burned. Percocet works for me. My primary care doctor is great about giving consults. I will see an infection specialist soon. I have drawn a few clunkers, and also some great ones. Be your own advocate, be persistent, and learn what you can. I appreciate that I am not alone in having multiple battles with pleurisy.

Comment from: Kat, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I woke up the day before my mom's birthday with a dull chest pain in the middle of my chest. It got worse throughout the day. The next day, I begged her to take me to the doctor. I'm not one to go see doctors. That was in June. After a week of sharp stabbing chest pains I got a VQ scan. No blood clot in my lungs so must be pleurisy doctor said. A week after that, he gives me hydrocodone and an anti-inflammatory. Two days later, I'm back. Nothing made the pain stop. It only made it worse. I went to a different doctor. She gave me an up-draft and inhaler. Neither helped so I was in the emergency room (ER) for pain and couldn't breathe. They gave me hydrocodone again. I lived with the pain for a few more days then my second doctor called and told me to go to the ER because my white count was high. Once again they gave me hydrocodone for pain; even though I still had some left from the last time. Today, July 28, it's been a month and 4 days since I first went to the doctor and I'm still sick and getting worse. My pain is now all over my chest, back, sides, shoulders, stomach area, and I can't life my right arm without my chest hurting horribly bad I'm crying.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?