Patient Comments: Pleurisy - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?

Comment from: Rick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I received my kidney from unrelated person. Right after surgery the new kidney worked great. Two months later it stopped working, but the kidney is still good. The kidney doctor says it's because of my heart (had heart transplant 20 years earlier). Heart doctor says heart is fine. I can't be on transplant, because kidney is still good. Not working, but still good.

Comment from: Sylnorton, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Dealing with pleurisy is a challenge because the patient may not appear to be sick, but is experiencing sharp pain with every breath! Not to mention it also it causes fatigue and keeps a person housebound. This can go on for weeks.

Comment from: Darlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I have severe pain in my right upper quadrant, I thought it was a broken rib. I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with pleural effusion. After 8 weeks I am still in severe pain. It is worse with physical activity. All I can take because of other issues is Tylenol. I have had some people say to give it 6 months!

Comment from: Daisygirlnc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had blinding pain that literally left me moaning out load. I had the flu which got progressively worse and developed into pleurisy.

Comment from: country1paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I was told by a physician 19 years ago that I have pleurisy. He told me to take an anti-inflammatory when it flares up. So that it what I do. Thing is that, now when it flares up it is much more painful. Aleve is the only thing that helps the pain. Unless I go to the doctor and get prescription naproxen. It is painful. It is in my back on the left side. It's scary. I took Aleve today. If it doesn't get better I will go to the emergency room (ER). It does not hurt in the front, just in my back. It is very painful with any movement. If I move I cry.

Comment from: Vickie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a cardiac lymphoma removed and they had to deflate my right lung to get to it. It has been 5 years and I still have pain in the right upper quadrant when I turn my upper body to the right or the left. I think it might be because of pleurisy.

Comment from: country1paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was told by a physician 19 years ago that I have pleurisy. He told me to take an anti-inflammatory when it flares up. So that it what I do. Thing is that now when it flares up it is much more painful. Aleve is the only thing that helps the pain. Unless I go to the doctor and get prescription Naproxen. It is painful. It is in my back on the left side. It's scary. I took Aleve today. If it doesn't get better I will go to the emergency room (ER). If I move I cry.

Comment from: reginahughes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Dealing with pleurisy now, may I say it's the worst pain I've ever felt! Coughing feels like being stuck in the ribs with a knife. I put this right up there with labor on the pain scale, if you were having a natural childbirth. Pain medications haven't helped, nor the three rounds of antibiotics. I've been dealing with this for two weeks and feel like it is getting worse instead of better.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?
Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?