Patient Comments: Pleurisy - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?

Comment from: twon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I've had shingles. Pleurisy is by far more painful and makes you think you are having a heart attack.

Comment from: Bob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 11

With pleurisy I have sharp pains in my right rib cage especially when I lay down to sleep.

Comment from: AshP, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm dealing with my 5th bout of pleurisy and pretty miserable this time around. The 1st time, I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack and tests revealed the culprit. In my experience, a big dose of prednisone, a humidifier or nebulizer treatments (depending on the underlying cause) and a good cough syrup help. Further blood work revealed I have lupus which explains why I keep getting it so easily.

Comment from: ToriJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had no idea I had pleurisy. I thought only people in third-world countries got that. So I guess I had it for a while but it made my SVT really bad so I went to the hospital. The pain was really under my shoulder blade in the back. They gave me some morphine, which really helped and I got four days of rest in the hospital and two days at home, so that helped me get better.

Comment from: rebecca, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had pleurisy. I went to the ER and they told me I was just having muscle spasms. I went to my doctor and she diagnosed me with pleurisy, sent me back to the hospital, and I caught mono and strep. The pain from the pleurisy was very painful. It felt like my ribs, chest, and back were ripping apart. On top of that, the mono and strep made it worse.

Comment from: johanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I woke up, sat up, then suddenly had excruciating pain in my left lung. It felt like a knife in my chest or I had broken a rib. In the ER I was told I had shingles and gave me Morphine and an anti-viral drug. I returned the next day because it felt like it had gotten worse. I got an X-ray and an EKG. I was then diagnosed with pleurisy and given Vicodin until it subsided, which was about 2 weeks. But now I have profuse sweating at times and extreme tiredness. So much so that I can't be awake longer than 3 hours.

Comment from: Heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

Extremely sharp pain towards back and side when inhaling/exhaling deeply. Very sore in chest area. Also, had the internal "rubbing" sensation and sounds. Sleep was nearly impossible. My pleurisy is a result of having had surgery 5 mos. ago for lung cancer. (Female, age 40)

Comment from: Blossom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I was just diagnosed with Pleurisy, the pain was keeping me up all night but I have one symptom that I don't know if anyone else has experienced. I have some numbness/tingling in my upper right arm, arm pit and right chest area. I am hoping the medicine will work and I will be back to normal.

Comment from: Vincent, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a sharp pain in my left lung after I was involved in a motor vehicle accident, I then had pains radiating to both my shoulders which left me temporarily disabled. I consulted my doctor then he took me for X-rays, he then told me I had pleurisy and it also caused the sharp shoulder pains I have been experiencing!

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?
Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?