Patient Comments: Pleurisy - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your pleurisy?

Comment from: twon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I've had shingles. Pleurisy is by far more painful and makes you think you are having a heart attack.

Comment from: Bob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 11

With pleurisy I have sharp pains in my right rib cage especially when I lay down to sleep.

Comment from: Creolefromtheheart, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I first had Pleurisy two years ago almost to the date. I had a stabbing pain in my back that was worst when I took a deep breath. I was in so much pain I couldn't even move. I went to the hospital where they did hundreds of tests and two days later they still sent me home in pain not telling me what was wrong. I went to another hospital where they said I needed to have a bowel movement, which was wrong. I then went to my long time family doctor who told me I had pleurisy and explained everything.

Comment from: vickie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Hi I'm a 53 year old female. I've had pleurisy for 5 weeks. I started out with a bad sinus infection. I started having real sharp pains in my back between my shoulder blades. I thought pleurisy was only around rib cage but the sharp pains went from back through the front of my chest. I worked every day for 5 weeks in severe pain. I had 3 steroid shots and 3 rounds of antibiotics. The doctor said the reason I can't get better is because I haven't rested. So now I'm finally going to rest and hopefully I will get better, but I am so tired now. I hope nobody else ever has pleurisy it is a very painful thing to have!

Comment from: AshP, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm dealing with my 5th bout of pleurisy and pretty miserable this time around. The 1st time, I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack and tests revealed the culprit. In my experience, a big dose of prednisone, a humidifier or nebulizer treatments (depending on the underlying cause) and a good cough syrup help. Further blood work revealed I have lupus which explains why I keep getting it so easily.

Comment from: ToriJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had no idea I had pleurisy. I thought only people in third-world countries got that. So I guess I had it for a while but it made my SVT really bad so I went to the hospital. The pain was really under my shoulder blade in the back. They gave me some morphine, which really helped and I got four days of rest in the hospital and two days at home, so that helped me get better.

Comment from: rebecca, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had pleurisy. I went to the ER and they told me I was just having muscle spasms. I went to my doctor and she diagnosed me with pleurisy, sent me back to the hospital, and I caught mono and strep. The pain from the pleurisy was very painful. It felt like my ribs, chest, and back were ripping apart. On top of that, the mono and strep made it worse.

Comment from: johanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I woke up, sat up, then suddenly had excruciating pain in my left lung. It felt like a knife in my chest or I had broken a rib. In the ER I was told I had shingles and gave me Morphine and an anti-viral drug. I returned the next day because it felt like it had gotten worse. I got an X-ray and an EKG. I was then diagnosed with pleurisy and given Vicodin until it subsided, which was about 2 weeks. But now I have profuse sweating at times and extreme tiredness. So much so that I can't be awake longer than 3 hours.

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?
Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments Question: How was your pleurisy treated?
Pleurisy - Causes Question: What was the underlying condition that caused your pleurisy?