Patient Comments: Pleural Effusion - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with pleural effusion?

Comment from: miss g, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

In 2010, I was diagnosed with this thing pleural effusion. Ever since that day, I hated the fact that I had to find out that I have this. Before I found out about this, I had pain in my back all the time. I was short of breath all the time, and it felt like there were needles inside of me. When they diagnosed me with this, I was told that it had caused tuberculosis. I am fine now. It has passed, but this thing of the pleural effusion is still here. I get sick a lot, especially when it is cold. I visit the hospital regularly, not that it is out of free will. Whenever the seasons change, I feel like dying because then the pain is at its worse. I feel like there is just too much pressure on my chest, but the doctors said it is because of the amount of fluid that is surrounding my lungs. Sometimes I just feel so depressed and scared because I do not know what the future holds for me.

Pleural Effusion - Cause Question: What was the cause of your case of pleural effusion?
Pleural Effusion - Treatment Question: What treatment did you receive for pleural effusion?
Pleural Effusion - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with pleural effusion?