Pleural Effusion (Fluid In the Chest or On Lung) Index
Pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the chest or on the lungs. There are two types of pleural effusion, trandsudate and exudate. Causes of transudate pleural effusion include congestive heart failure, kidney failure, and cirrhosis. Exudate pleural effusion can be caused by malignancy (cancer) or lung infection. Typically, transudate pleural effusion is more easily treatable. Symptoms of pleural effusion include chest pain, pain when breathing, difficulty breathing, and cough. Treatment depends on the source or cause of the pleural effusion.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...learn more »
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as gallstones, high cholesterol...learn more »
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...learn more »
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...learn more »
In This Article
- Ascites Facts
- What is ascites?
- What causes ascites?
- What are the types of ascites?
- What are the risk factors for ascites?
- What are the symptoms of ascites?
- When should I call my doctor about ascites?
- How is ascites diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for ascites?
- What are the complications of ascites?
- Can ascites be prevented?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for ascites?
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...learn more »
In This Article
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis Article
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis facts
- What is Hashimoto's thyroditis?
- What causes Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
- What are the signs and symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
- How is Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment of Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
- Is there a special diet for someone with Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
- Is there a natural treatment for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
- Should I be concerned if I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and want to become
- Can Hashimoto's thyroiditis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for someone with Hashimoto's thyroiditis?