(Cosmetic Surgery and Procedures)
Fighting the effects of aging on the outside; your guide to the risks of cosmetic surgical and non-surgical procedures
Trying to fight the effects of aging? Below is a basic guide to the risks involved in both surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures. For more information on each procedure, click on the highlighted links of the procedure.
Cosmetic Procedures: Surgical
Breast Augmentation: Breasts are enlarged by placing an implant behind each breast.
- implants can rupture, leak, and deflate
- hardening of scar tissue around implant, causing breast firmness, pain, distorted shape, or implant movement
- nipples may get more or less sensitive
- numbness near incision blood collection around implant/incision
- calcium deposits around implant
- harder to find breast lumps and to see breast changes on a mammogram
- in rare instances, implants can cause anaplastic large cell lymphoma
(ALCL) - a rare cancer of the immune system
Breast Lift - Extra skin is removed from the breast to raise and reshape breast.
- skin loss
- infection loss of feeling in nipples or breast
- nipples put in the wrong place
- breasts not symmetrical
Breast Reduction - Fat, tissue, and skin is removed from breast.
- if nipples and areola are detached, may lose sensation and decreased ability to breastfeed
- harder to find breast lumps
- poor shape, size, or position of nipples or breasts
Eyelid Surgery: Extra fat, skin, and muscle in the upper and/or lower eyelid is removed to correct "droopy" eyelids.
Facelift: Extra fat is removed, muscles are tightened, and skin is rewrapped around the face and neck to improve sagging facial skin, jowls, and loose neck skin.
- bleeding under skin
- irregular earlobes
- nerve damage causing numbness or inability to move your face
- hair loss
- skin damage
Facial Implant: infection feeling of tightness or scarring around implant shifting of implant
- feeling of tightness or scarring around implant
- shifting of implant
Forehead Lift: Extra skin and muscles that cause wrinkles are removed, eyebrows are lifted, and forehead skin is tightened.
- bleeding under skin
- eye dryness or irritation
- impaired eyelid function
- loss of feeling in eyelid skin
- injury to facial nerve causing loss of motion or muscle weakness
Lip Augmentation: Material is injected or implanted into the lips to create fuller lips and reduce wrinkles around the mouth.
- lip asymmetry
Liposuction: Excess fat from a targeted area is removed with a vacuum to shape the body.
- baggy skin
- skin may change color and fall off
- fluid retention
- toxic shock
- infection that requires antibiotics or additional surgery
- fat clots in the lungs
- damage to organs if punctured
- numbness at the surgery site
- heart problems
- kidney problems
Nose Surgery: Nose is reshaped by resculpting the bone and cartilage in the nose.
- bursting blood vessels
- red spots
- bleeding under the skin
Tummy Tuck: Extra fat and skin in the abdomen is removed, and muscles are tightened to flatten tummy.
- blood clots
- fluid accumulation under the skin
Viewers share their comments
Plastic Surgery - Surgical
Question: Have you had a surgical cosmetic procedure? Are you satisfied with the results? Please share your experience.
Plastic Surgery - Non-Surgical Procedures
Question: Have you undergone non-surgical cosmetic procedures? Were you satisfied with the results? Please describe your experience.