Patient Comments: Plant Thorn Arthritis - Types of Plants

If known, what is the name or type of plant that caused your plant thorn arthritis?

Comment from: shnon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Cholla caused my plant thorn arthritis, twice now with a delayed reaction, and then the swelling/arthritic pain lasts a very long time.

Comment from: F Carter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I was stuck with a palm frond while assisting a coworker who was trimming the palm branches. A branch with a 10 inch thorn fell down unexpectedly and the thorn pierced my right middle finger. A week later I went to the emergency room (ER) and was mistakenly diagnosed with a bacterial infection. I had an incision and drain procedure. I am extremely disappointed that the doctors didn't even google this diagnosis. I googled it before I went in, but unfortunately, I saw another website that was less informative, and ended up with my hand mauled by these guys.

Comment from: Sugar64, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Yesterday I got pricked by Bougainvillea thorns numerous times while putting out a few wheelbarrow loads of cuttings out for the trash. One I hadn"t even noticed went through my glove and in the side of middle finger at the middle joint. Today it is swollen and stiff!

Comment from: Jason, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I ended up getting a black thorn in my middle finger, next to the middle knuckle during a recent dirt bike ride. It was shallow and I had little pain, I pulled it out easily and went on my way. Next day that knuckle was swollen and aching. Two days later swelling went down and no more issues with that knuckle. Now six days later my ring finger knuckle where the finger connects to the hand is aching and my elbow is aching as well. I have no swelling. There is no black dot at the puncture sight. I am very surprised what one of those thorns can do.

Comment from: betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I am currently dealing with plant thorn arthritis, I just found out through this article what it was. I was cleaning out prickly bushes on Mother's Day and a thorn went through my gloves and it hurt. I am not sure if it was one or two days later that it started to hurt and it looked like a splinter was the culprit. I tried for 2 days to get it out. The pain is in the middle finger, on the inside of the finger right at the first joint where it bends. It swelled up, was a little red where it looked like a splinter was and I couldn't bend it all the way. I had my yearly dermatology appointment today luckily, and she looked at it under a magnifying lens and said she didn't see a splinter, it looked like dried blood. She used a blade to get at it. She also prescribed antibiotics. All the black is gone and I'm hoping the antibiotics helps clear it up. She mentioned something you could get from a thorn prick so I looked it up. So far the range of motion varies from not being able to bend it to being able to bend it about 75 percent. I hope it goes away with the antibiotics.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

The knuckle of my middle finger was punctured with the thorn of a knock out rose.

Comment from: dol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I got a puncture with a Berberis thorn yesterday. The doctor at casualty gave me massive doses of antibiotic to take for a week. The puncture appeared to be in a vein in my wrist. The area was swollen up quite a bit and there was a little bleeding. Why the antibiotics?

Comment from: laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I stepped on a thorn of an orange tree recently. The surgeon was not able to remove the thorn. My foot was very red and swollen. I also took antibiotics for one month and that helped.

Plant Thorn Synovitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with plant thorn synovitis?
Plant Thorn Synovitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your plant thorn synovitis?