Patient Comments: Plant Thorn Arthritis - Types of Plants

If known, what is the name or type of plant that caused your plant thorn arthritis?

Comment from: Sugar64, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Yesterday I got pricked by Bougainvillea thorns numerous times while putting out a few wheelbarrow loads of cuttings out for the trash. One I hadn"t even noticed went through my glove and in the side of middle finger at the middle joint. Today it is swollen and stiff!

Comment from: Jason, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I ended up getting a black thorn in my middle finger, next to the middle knuckle during a recent dirt bike ride. It was shallow and I had little pain, I pulled it out easily and went on my way. Next day that knuckle was swollen and aching. Two days later swelling went down and no more issues with that knuckle. Now six days later my ring finger knuckle where the finger connects to the hand is aching and my elbow is aching as well. I have no swelling. There is no black dot at the puncture sight. I am very surprised what one of those thorns can do.

Comment from: dol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I got a puncture with a Berberis thorn yesterday. The doctor at casualty gave me massive doses of antibiotic to take for a week. The puncture appeared to be in a vein in my wrist. The area was swollen up quite a bit and there was a little bleeding. Why the antibiotics?

Comment from: laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I stepped on a thorn of an orange tree recently. The surgeon was not able to remove the thorn. My foot was very red and swollen. I also took antibiotics for one month and that helped.

Plant Thorn Synovitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with plant thorn synovitis?
Plant Thorn Synovitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your plant thorn synovitis?