Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

A Doctor's View on Pityriasis Rosea Treatment

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Aside from the rash, most cases of pityriasis rosea are asymptomatic. The rash must simply run its course over a period of about three months. Topical steroids and oral antihistamines may be of benefit to those who experience itching. Exposure to ultraviolet light may also help to ease symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: floridagal2055, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My son was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea (PR). It was horribly embarrassing and very uncomfortable for him. We decided to be proactive and I found Prreze and ordered it immediately. It is a mother's best friend. All natural, no steroids, and best of all it cleared up his PR in less than a week.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I was so glad to find this blog about people's experience with pityriasis rosea. I have had a rash for several months and have terrible itching. I have tried many of the treatments recommended by different people on this site. My experience is as follows. I tried Head and Shoulders Shampoo, this gave me a tremendously painful reaction for the few minutes I had it on my body and a few minutes thereafter. All the redness became more pronounced after use. I stopped using this. The treatments that worked well for me was the tanning bed. I did this every other day for 4 or 5 minutes. I soaked in a tall bath tub with 1 cup of bleach for 15 minutes. This seemed to do miracles for me and almost immediately improved the appearance of my skin. I also did this every other day. I tried Desitin and it reduced the itching somewhat although it is a little messy as it is very oily and white. I have now been doing this for about 8 days and the appearance of my skin has improved dramatically. I still have some itching but it seems like it improves after applying lotion. I used Lubriderm. Anyway, psychologically I am much better as I am beginning to see great improvement after having this so long.

Comment from: TJ Hyun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I had pityriasis rosea (PR) rash for over three months. I could not date or go to the gym. People looked at me like I was some kind of a freak. Doctors keep saying it is no big deal, but that itch drove me crazy. I tried tanning and steroids and garlic with vitamin C in large doses. My doctor put my on acyclovir. None of it did any good. I had seen some people saying that Prreze cream helped, and boy did it! I was back at the gym a week after starting it. I saw somebody else talking about it here. If you have PR, use this cream. My doctor had never heard of it, but he is a believer after he saw what it did for me.

Comment from: Sarah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have tried everything for pityriasis rosea and Prreze cream was the only thing that made a difference overnight. I had to use quite a bit of it. I am covered front and back from my shoulders down to my knees. There is barely any regular skin left. I really wish I would've bought more initially because I am dying without it right now.

Comment from: khijoro, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea (PR) a month ago and I was so stressed as I thought it must be a big problem. I first felt a fever like symptom, then mild headache and fatigue. After two days the symptoms went away, and then I noticed the rash. I went to the hospital and the doctor didn't take time to tell me it was PR. I bought Head and Shoulders shampoo, which I would apply before taking a shower and leave on for ten minutes. After that I applied natural aloe vera fluid, and some sun heating for 3 minutes a day. The rash went away within three weeks without leaving marks. Have hope, it will go away.

Comment from: JeanK, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

This rash was a nightmare. I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea (PR) two years ago after finding the herald on my buttocks and it spread up my body and onto my scalp. It cleared up after 1.5 to 2 months. But even 2 years after my scalp healed I still have dandruff I cannot get rid of. I never had dandruff or dry scalp before the PR, but I now cannot get rid of it. I tried dandruff shampoo, apple cider vinegar, everything! This rash haunts you.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.