Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

A Doctor's View on Pityriasis Rosea Treatment

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Aside from the rash, most cases of pityriasis rosea are asymptomatic. The rash must simply run its course over a period of about three months. Topical steroids and oral antihistamines may be of benefit to those who experience itching. Exposure to ultraviolet light may also help to ease symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Stresses mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I must say this blog has been so helpful. My 9 year old son was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea about 5 months ago. The first episode was really bad and when I thought it was over it came back about a month ago but not as bad. He never had a herald patch and this time it looks more like small buttons. I tried everything E45, Cetaphil, and a list of medications. I've been using Head and Shoulders shampoo as a body wash and moisturizing with Cetaphil and it has made a difference, it seems to be drying the rash. I've only been using it 3 days now but it's looking very hopeful I'm keeping my finger crossed. I wish it was me you had gotten this dreadful rash instead of my baby boy. I was so frustrated, thank you all so much for posting about Head and Shoulders. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment from: Net, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My daughter was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea. On this site I read that someone used Aveeno Active Naturals soothing bath treatment and Curel treatment lotion. I agree. The doctor stated that the rash must run its course. I became more alarmed when my daughter developed a rash on her face. I thought, if I do not do something, she will have this rash over her entire body. I went to Walmart and purchased the Aveeno and Curel. During bath, I rubbed the bath treatment directly on the rash, even a small portion on the rash on her face. In about 1 week, I saw an improvement in the rash. In two weeks, the rash was definitely going away. I continue to use the Curel to moisturize the areas. I read about the treatment someone used on this site and want to share my story in hopes that someone else will be helped and will heal sooner than later.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I got this pityriasis rosea rash a week ago on February 2nd. I was so depressed knowing there was no cure or reason to it. Thanks to you all and your advice, I went to the tanning bed, had 2 sessions each of 10 minutes, Monday and Tuesday this week, and also used the Head and Shoulders shampoo as body wash twice so far and my rash is better by 90 percent. I got the Curel cream but that one seemed to irritate the skin on the first try so I stopped using it. I used a moisturizing oil instead and it worked well. So, definitely, the UV rays and the Head and Shoulders shampoo worked very well. I wanted to share this because thanks to this site I was able to find some relief. It is crazy that there is no cause or cure for this sort of rash. Good luck to all!

Comment from: alyssac, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Pityriasis rosea was an incredibly annoying, inconvenient and sometimes scary experience to go through. The steps I took that actually worked were bed tans (yes, just go for 6 to 10 minutes at a good quality tanning booth) wash your body with Head and Shoulders, soak in coconut oil, vitamin E, aloe vera and even some chamomile. This helped clear me up almost 100 percent in less than 2 weeks. Good luck! Hang in there.

Comment from: New mom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was a new mother, breast feeding my 2 month old when the rash first appeared. After visiting the doctor he diagnosed the spreading, itchy rash as pityriasis rosea. I was relieved it was not contagious, and I was able to successfully feed my baby without fear. The rash continued to spread all over my body by 'waiting it out' as the doctor said. After two weeks of unbearable living I found Head and Shoulders clinical strength shampoo. I used this shampoo as a body wash twice a day in a cold shower. The results were amazing. Within 2 days the angry looking rash calmed down. The itching was under control and the spreading slowed down. After one week of shampoo use the rash is fading, and almost gone. The relief from this shampoo was astonishing, give it a try. I hope it works.

Comment from: distressed in midwes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Pityriasis rosea is the worst ever rash I've had in my life. It started out in one area and my doctor simply said it would get worse but she never said it was going to attack my whole body. If you have dry, sensitive skin like I do, avoid Head and Shoulders and calamine. They will only dry out your skin and make you itch more. Aveeno cream, steroids and steroids creams are useless. Stress and heat make no difference for me. I hate living with this and knowing I'll have this the rest of my life.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.