Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

A Doctor's View on Pityriasis Rosea Treatment

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Aside from the rash, most cases of pityriasis rosea are asymptomatic. The rash must simply run its course over a period of about three months. Topical steroids and oral antihistamines may be of benefit to those who experience itching. Exposure to ultraviolet light may also help to ease symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: christine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My pityriasis rosea started with a patch on my breast and one on my bikini line. I had the patch for a few weeks before it had started to itch. The itch lasted about 2 weeks and was so unbearable I had a week off work and I tried everything. The best treatment for me was plain oats wrapped in a cloth in a cool bath to release the white milky texture at least 3 times a day for 30 minutes and sometimes through the night, after each bath coating my whole body in calamine lotion, and using Egoderm ointment for bad areas. No other creams or treatments I found useful as all irritated my skin. I hope this helps. It is time consuming but it worked to give a few hours relief.

Comment from: Itchy&scratchy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I went to the doctor with what I thought was a ringworm only to discover that I had pityriasis rosea (PR). I was told that the cause is unknown and there was no treatment. It should last between 4 to 10 weeks and to let it run its course. He gave me a cortisone cream to help with the itchiness. I didn't really like this as it was Vaseline based and therefore sticky. I decided to make my own cream up using Sorbolene, tea tree, lavender and chamomile oils. All three oils are to help calm the itch and the tea tree and lavender to deal with any infection resulting from any scratching. I used this three times daily. I also read on a forum to use Head and Shoulders as a body wash, so I did this also. But I also see a chiropractor who specializes in this and got him to do an immune system boost as part of my adjustment; he went above and beyond however and tested me for some homeopathic drops as well which I take 3 times a day. I have had PR for about three weeks and it was covering my trunk mainly but I also had some on my arms and legs. I have now only got about 5 percent of what it was and am hoping that in another couple of weeks it will be gone entirely. I just wanted to share what I did in the hope it may help others. I also found that showering in hot water aggravated the itchiness. Good luck everyone!

Comment from: Jen, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

About 2.5 months ago my 8 year old daughter showed me medium sized light purple spots on suprapubic area (the underwear line). I asked where they came from and she said her pants were too tight. I didn't think much of it until 2 weeks later and she showed me her chest and back which was covered in the rash. They were red scaly spots. They did not itch or burn. I took her to the emergency room (ER) where the doctor blamed it on a nickel allergy. Then when he saw her back he found her herald patch and said it was pityriasis rosea. I freaked after he said no cure, no known cause and nothing we can do to make it go away. Several days later, it traveled to the sides of her neck and around hairline mainly in the back. I took her to her pediatrician and she dittoed the ER doctor. I researched it all night. I saw a story where Head and Shoulders shampoo as a body wash and Cortizone 10 were working for a lady. I also saw where tanning beds and sunlight helps. I cannot take my 8 year old to a tanning bed so settled for the shampoo. After about a week, she showed me where the rash looked as if it were drying up. They were still scaly and flaky but were white instead of red or pink. We continued to use the Head and Shoulders and Cortizone 10 (which she said burned by the way) and about 3 weeks later the dry scaly patches have smoothed out into somewhat normal looking skin. I read that the dark skin can leave discoloration but will fade. She does not have dark skin but she is biracial and is not fair skinned at all and there are lighter spots on her torso and back. We are currently waiting for this to fade and she should be past this. I'm not sure if time was a factor as they say the rash will go away on its own, but I do believe Head and Shoulders definitely helped. I hope this helps any other parents. I was desperate to find something to help my baby girl get better!

Comment from: Stresses mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I must say this blog has been so helpful. My 9 year old son was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea about 5 months ago. The first episode was really bad and when I thought it was over it came back about a month ago but not as bad. He never had a herald patch and this time it looks more like small buttons. I tried everything E45, Cetaphil, and a list of medications. I've been using Head and Shoulders shampoo as a body wash and moisturizing with Cetaphil and it has made a difference, it seems to be drying the rash. I've only been using it 3 days now but it's looking very hopeful I'm keeping my finger crossed. I wish it was me you had gotten this dreadful rash instead of my baby boy. I was so frustrated, thank you all so much for posting about Head and Shoulders. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment from: Net, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My daughter was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea. On this site I read that someone used Aveeno Active Naturals soothing bath treatment and Curel treatment lotion. I agree. The doctor stated that the rash must run its course. I became more alarmed when my daughter developed a rash on her face. I thought, if I do not do something, she will have this rash over her entire body. I went to Walmart and purchased the Aveeno and Curel. During bath, I rubbed the bath treatment directly on the rash, even a small portion on the rash on her face. In about 1 week, I saw an improvement in the rash. In two weeks, the rash was definitely going away. I continue to use the Curel to moisturize the areas. I read about the treatment someone used on this site and want to share my story in hopes that someone else will be helped and will heal sooner than later.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.