Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

A Doctor's View on Pityriasis Rosea Treatment

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Aside from the rash, most cases of pityriasis rosea are asymptomatic. The rash must simply run its course over a period of about three months. Topical steroids and oral antihistamines may be of benefit to those who experience itching. Exposure to ultraviolet light may also help to ease symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: seaeagle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I began experiencing itching in my groin area, soon followed by itching under my arms and breasts. As I live in Florida and this occurred in midsummer, I thought it might be heat rash. Then came the intense itching and weeping bumps appearing first on my lower back, then exploding around my torso and progressing up my neck and into my scalp. My primary care doctor diagnosed the first issue as a fungal infection and prescribed ketoconazole cream for that. Then he diagnosed the second issue as pityriasis rosea (PR) and prescribed acyclovir, which I've now completed and was happy to be done with. I have no idea if this was helpful or not. I already had a prescription for 0.5 mg lorazepam which I took on rare occasions, but began to use every night; after all, this is for anti-anxiety and apparently PR is stress related and I certainly have more than my share of that. I was taking cool showers 2 times a day and using corn starch to sooth the itching. I continued to research and found a commentary online about a cream called Prreze for PR. It seemed implausible, but anyone with PR will understand the desperation to find answers. I ordered the cream, but noted the ingredients. As I happened to have the majority of the ingredients on hand, I decided to mix a batch while waiting for the cream to arrive. Oil seems counterintuitive as the tendency is to dry out a rash, but honestly, the itch immediately subsided. I could not believe it. I used my oil concoction until the cream arrived and started on that. My back healed in just a few days. The torso is taking longer due to the continued use of the fungal cream and not wanting to interfere with that. The rash is still with me as it pops up on my thighs or anywhere I'm not using the cream or oil, but subsides when the cream is applied. It has been just a little over 2 weeks since my doctor visit and I'm thrilled with this progress. I'm continuing with the cream, taking cool showers and lorazepam, am trying to stay in A/C and only wear loose clothing, but at least I can now sleep and know that I will get past this. I hope this can help someone else.

Comment from: floridagal2055, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My son was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea (PR). It was horribly embarrassing and very uncomfortable for him. We decided to be proactive and I found Prreze and ordered it immediately. It is a mother's best friend. All natural, no steroids, and best of all it cleared up his PR in less than a week.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I was so glad to find this blog about people's experience with pityriasis rosea. I have had a rash for several months and have terrible itching. I have tried many of the treatments recommended by different people on this site. My experience is as follows. I tried Head and Shoulders Shampoo, this gave me a tremendously painful reaction for the few minutes I had it on my body and a few minutes thereafter. All the redness became more pronounced after use. I stopped using this. The treatments that worked well for me was the tanning bed. I did this every other day for 4 or 5 minutes. I soaked in a tall bath tub with 1 cup of bleach for 15 minutes. This seemed to do miracles for me and almost immediately improved the appearance of my skin. I also did this every other day. I tried Desitin and it reduced the itching somewhat although it is a little messy as it is very oily and white. I have now been doing this for about 8 days and the appearance of my skin has improved dramatically. I still have some itching but it seems like it improves after applying lotion. I used Lubriderm. Anyway, psychologically I am much better as I am beginning to see great improvement after having this so long.

Comment from: TJ Hyun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I had pityriasis rosea (PR) rash for over three months. I could not date or go to the gym. People looked at me like I was some kind of a freak. Doctors keep saying it is no big deal, but that itch drove me crazy. I tried tanning and steroids and garlic with vitamin C in large doses. My doctor put my on acyclovir. None of it did any good. I had seen some people saying that Prreze cream helped, and boy did it! I was back at the gym a week after starting it. I saw somebody else talking about it here. If you have PR, use this cream. My doctor had never heard of it, but he is a believer after he saw what it did for me.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.