Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

A Doctor's View on Pityriasis Rosea Treatment

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Aside from the rash, most cases of pityriasis rosea are asymptomatic. The rash must simply run its course over a period of about three months. Topical steroids and oral antihistamines may be of benefit to those who experience itching. Exposure to ultraviolet light may also help to ease symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

We tried several different creams for pityriasis rosea. I was diagnosed in 12/2015. I had it over my entire body, even a couple of patches on my face. Nothing relieved the itching until my wife bought extra strength anti-itch allergic cream (name brand is Benadryl itch stopping cream) from, of all places, Big Lots. That has helped me, I may be able to survive this terrible rash. I have her cover me twice a day and it really helps with the itching. This only cost USD 2.00 a tube. But it is worth so much more.

Comment from: Clare, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 02

We discovered a treatment for pityriasis rosea. Believe it or not, you can use Desitin, it is meant for baby diaper rash. After the first few days the difference was amazing and it is almost gone! We used the maximum strength 40 percent zinc oxide version. The key, we think, is the zinc which has been shown to have natural anti-viral properties. It worked like a charm for us, hope it does for you too.

Comment from: trini1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was pregnant at 40 and developed pityriasis rosea (PR) in the 5th month of pregnancy. I got aqueous cream with 10 percent urea and 10 percent glycerin for it and it went away in about 6 weeks. It was very itchy and all over my torso, lots and lots of spots. It is now 5 years on and I have PR again, now in 3rd week but spots are only 5 plus herald patch. I have for last week and a half, been using clove oil mixed into my Cetaphil body lotion. I also put a mixture of glycerin and water (mixed 1 part glycerin to 3 parts water) to which I have added several drops of clove oil. I put this mixture on my skin first, then put Cetaphil over it as I have very dry skin. I also mix clove oil with water on a Q-tip and apply directly onto the spots. Spots are still slightly itchy but are drying up. I believe the clove oil is what is keeping the outbreak of spots to a minimum as well as keeping skin moisturized. I will update in 2 weeks. One word of caution, be extremely careful when using clove oil. It is very strong and can burn the skin.

Comment from: Babygirl602, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am 20 years old and was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea on December 24th, 2015. I noticed a patch at first on my chest that developed and was very itchy. About a week later I went to urgent care because my primary care physician was booked. Urgent care told me it was ringworm and put me on antifungal creams for about a weak. Then it started to spread all over my chest, stomach, back, breast, and some on my neck. I really panicked and went to the emergency room to discover I was misdiagnosed and was told pretty much the same thing; the cause is unknown and just to let it take its course and it will go away on its own. The doctor prescribed me hydroxide for the itching. I really want to know more about this rash, I soon found out my mother's friend has this as well and the doctor told me his neighbor had it, so I am curious to learn more about this.

Comment from: Sunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea on December 8, 2015. What is helping me most is Aveeno colloidal oatmeal baths, the over-the-counter antihistamine tablet loratadine 10 mg during the day and a Benadryl tablet at night. Various over-the-counter lotions and creams have helped or not helped. This condition is like a trial and error, I have had to try and see what works. Best of luck to anyone suffering with this, especially any children!

Comment from: Dyer158, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I hate to say I am 49 and have a severe pityriasis rosea rash. My face is surrounded and my neck is covered as is my upper torso. I will now go and purchase Head and Shoulders shampoo. It is definitely worsened by sweating and wearing scarf. I wish I had gotten it in the summer. Thanks so much for all the advice.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.