Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

A Doctor's View on Pityriasis Rosea Treatment

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Aside from the rash, most cases of pityriasis rosea are asymptomatic. The rash must simply run its course over a period of about three months. Topical steroids and oral antihistamines may be of benefit to those who experience itching. Exposure to ultraviolet light may also help to ease symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Liz, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

This rash is a nightmare. My 16-year-old daughter has pityriasis rosea. About 4 months ago, I saw what I now know is a herald patch, on her upper thigh. I thought it was ring worm and treated it with metronidazole cream. It took about 6 weeks or so, but it did go away. Well, about a week ago, I saw another patch and the next day, bumps on her torso, and the next day, and the next, more and more bumps. I found this site through research and now I know that the initial patch was not ringworm. She has pityriasis rosea. I have been using Head and Shoulders shampoo as body wash, having her bathe in Aveeno oatmeal soak and sit in the sun. I can't let her use a tanning bed, she has autism and would remove the goggles. We have also been using Bio oil. I started all of this treatment on Sunday and today (Tuesday), it is beginning to fade and clear up. I do wonder though; if I had treated that second herald patch immediately, like I did with the first patch that I thought was ringworm, if I could have prevented a full-blown breakout. I hope it never happens again, but if it does, I will immediately treat the herald patch and hopefully stave off a full blown rash.

Comment from: Goblin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I've just caught my second round of pityriasis rosea (PR) after having it around 10 years ago. No idea why I was unlucky enough to have a recurrence. The rash lasted 5 weeks with no signs of letting up, was getting really bad over my chest, tummy, back and upper legs. It also started spreading to my arms as well. Luckily it wasn't too itchy. I am a professional dancer so having this ugly rash is not helpful to being in tiny costumes looking hideous! I tried the Head and Shoulders (H and S) remedy not expecting anything, and I can tell you it works! I have been washing with it twice daily, just lathering it up like normal body wash with a sponge. Within 4 days the rash was at 50 percent and now after 6 days I can say it is mostly gone! Maybe it was a coincidence that it started to clear up but I am confident the H and S did the trick as the change in appearance of the rash was obvious straight away. I have also been moisturizing with vitamin E cream after my shower and also sitting in the sun a bit; a slight tan can help dry out the spots and fade them too. Don't give up. I hope this works for you all too.

Comment from: DeeCee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

This is my second bout of this awful rash. I was officially diagnosed with pityriasis rosea on Monday. I have since done two bleach baths which I believe has worked even better for me than the tanning bed. I did the bed a total of 4 times over two weeks. It seemed to help some but after two bleach baths, I saw an improvement of nearly 80 percent. It is visibly retreating and the itching has stopped. My new dermatologist said that sometimes bacteria can be affecting the rash and prescribed me sitting in a tub of water up to my neck with one cup of bleach diluted in the water. She said to do it that night and again two or three days later. I am so hopeful that this has put me on the mend as the rash is quite hideous all across my stomach, inner thighs, neck, shoulders, and down the middle of my back. If this helps anyone else, I would love to know and I wish everyone the best of luck with this awful virus.

Comment from: DeeCee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I want to share my experience as I am so grateful for these posts. About two years ago I got what I now know is a herald patch of pityriasis rosea (PR) on my neck. The dermatologist diagnosed it as ringworm. When the antifungal cream did not work, I went back and he tested it. It was not ringworm and he said it was dermatitis. He also prescribed a cortisone cream which helped. I got hit with my second round of PR very hard two months ago. I have the Christmas tree pattern on my back, back of my neck and into my hairline, my stomach, under my breasts, along both sides of my trunk, armpits and groin, and all have significant lesions. I hate it and am embarrassed. It itches like crazy. I read about tanning booths and have gone 4 times now. It seems to help. I went to a new dermatologist yesterday who prescribed a bleach bath twice this week because often times PR or skin conditions are plagued with bacteria which makes the condition worse. She also prescribed a non-cortisone cream, Elidel, and an antibiotic. Something like acetate. I've also been using Head and Shoulders to shower but that doesn't seem to help me. I will let you know how the Elidel and antibiotics work on my symptoms. More research needs to be put towards this. I am not the only person who has been hit with this twice. My doctor was very skeptical. I wanted to tell her to read the blogs because we are out there. Maybe people don't go back to their doctors because diagnosis and treatment are lacking!

Comment from: Kim, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My 16 year old son was sick with flu like symptoms about 4 weeks ago. He had headache, fever, aches, and was very tired. Once the flu symptoms resolved, he noticed a round patch on his chest (the herald patch). We thought it was ring worm and started putting an antifungal cream on it. Over the next few days a rash started to develop on his chest. We took him to his pediatrician and they diagnosed him with erythema multiforme, and they said it should improve over the next few days. Well, not only did it not improve, it spread all over his entire chest, stomach, sides, back, under his arm pits, down his arms and to his thighs. It also went up his neck. We brought him to the dermatologist and right away they said pityriasis rosea. He tried soaking in cool oatmeal baths, using Head and Shoulders shampoo on the rash when he showered, calamine lotion, and antihistamines. No change, it just continued to spread. There was not a single area of normal skin to his chest or back, the rash covered him. It was the worst rash I have ever seen, just awful! The dermatologist then prescribed Valtrex for him to try, he finished the 7 day prescription and still no improvement. Finally, we took him to a tanning salon and he went in a stand up booth, for 5 minutes. The next day, the rash was 50 percent improved, we couldn't believe it! He has gone tanning 4 more times, the longest he's gone is 6 minutes. The rash is almost gone. His neck faded first, chest and back are now clear, the rash on his legs and arms is drying up and fading away. As bad as we know tanning is for your skin, we were desperate. It is possible that the Valtrex finally kicked in and helped too, but I really think the best treatment for this horrible rash is exposure to ultraviolet rays.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.