Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

A Doctor's View on Pityriasis Rosea Treatment

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Aside from the rash, most cases of pityriasis rosea are asymptomatic. The rash must simply run its course over a period of about three months. Topical steroids and oral antihistamines may be of benefit to those who experience itching. Exposure to ultraviolet light may also help to ease symptoms. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: khijoro, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea (PR) a month ago and I was so stressed as I thought it must be a big problem. I first felt a fever like symptom, then mild headache and fatigue. After two days the symptoms went away, and then I noticed the rash. I went to the hospital and the doctor didn't take time to tell me it was PR. I bought Head and Shoulders shampoo, which I would apply before taking a shower and leave on for ten minutes. After that I applied natural aloe vera fluid, and some sun heating for 3 minutes a day. The rash went away within three weeks without leaving marks. Have hope, it will go away.

Comment from: JeanK, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

This rash was a nightmare. I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea (PR) two years ago after finding the herald on my buttocks and it spread up my body and onto my scalp. It cleared up after 1.5 to 2 months. But even 2 years after my scalp healed I still have dandruff I cannot get rid of. I never had dandruff or dry scalp before the PR, but I now cannot get rid of it. I tried dandruff shampoo, apple cider vinegar, everything! This rash haunts you.

Comment from: Liz, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

This rash is a nightmare. My 16-year-old daughter has pityriasis rosea. About 4 months ago, I saw what I now know is a herald patch, on her upper thigh. I thought it was ring worm and treated it with metronidazole cream. It took about 6 weeks or so, but it did go away. Well, about a week ago, I saw another patch and the next day, bumps on her torso, and the next day, and the next, more and more bumps. I found this site through research and now I know that the initial patch was not ringworm. She has pityriasis rosea. I have been using Head and Shoulders shampoo as body wash, having her bathe in Aveeno oatmeal soak and sit in the sun. I can't let her use a tanning bed, she has autism and would remove the goggles. We have also been using Bio oil. I started all of this treatment on Sunday and today (Tuesday), it is beginning to fade and clear up. I do wonder though; if I had treated that second herald patch immediately, like I did with the first patch that I thought was ringworm, if I could have prevented a full-blown breakout. I hope it never happens again, but if it does, I will immediately treat the herald patch and hopefully stave off a full blown rash.

Comment from: Goblin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I've just caught my second round of pityriasis rosea (PR) after having it around 10 years ago. No idea why I was unlucky enough to have a recurrence. The rash lasted 5 weeks with no signs of letting up, was getting really bad over my chest, tummy, back and upper legs. It also started spreading to my arms as well. Luckily it wasn't too itchy. I am a professional dancer so having this ugly rash is not helpful to being in tiny costumes looking hideous! I tried the Head and Shoulders (H and S) remedy not expecting anything, and I can tell you it works! I have been washing with it twice daily, just lathering it up like normal body wash with a sponge. Within 4 days the rash was at 50 percent and now after 6 days I can say it is mostly gone! Maybe it was a coincidence that it started to clear up but I am confident the H and S did the trick as the change in appearance of the rash was obvious straight away. I have also been moisturizing with vitamin E cream after my shower and also sitting in the sun a bit; a slight tan can help dry out the spots and fade them too. Don't give up. I hope this works for you all too.

Comment from: DeeCee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

This is my second bout of this awful rash. I was officially diagnosed with pityriasis rosea on Monday. I have since done two bleach baths which I believe has worked even better for me than the tanning bed. I did the bed a total of 4 times over two weeks. It seemed to help some but after two bleach baths, I saw an improvement of nearly 80 percent. It is visibly retreating and the itching has stopped. My new dermatologist said that sometimes bacteria can be affecting the rash and prescribed me sitting in a tub of water up to my neck with one cup of bleach diluted in the water. She said to do it that night and again two or three days later. I am so hopeful that this has put me on the mend as the rash is quite hideous all across my stomach, inner thighs, neck, shoulders, and down the middle of my back. If this helps anyone else, I would love to know and I wish everyone the best of luck with this awful virus.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.