Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

Comment from: liberace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 52 and have had pityriasis rosea since I was 40. I have tried every cream, concoction, natural and man-made out there. My first spot is still above my ankle and is about 4 inches in diameter. I have quite a few other "herald" spots. A few disappeared, but most remain. I found out earlier this year I have celiac, and the effects this has on my immune system has contributed to the lengthiness of the PR. Since I have changed my diet, some of the spots have lightened, some have appeared. I often wonder if the cleansing from eating gluten-free is contributing to the disappearance. By the way, I believe sugar irritates them.

Comment from: melglove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I posted before. This is an update. My doc gave me a steroid cream which did stop the severe itching I have been getting. It wakes me up at night. The cream can't be used often though and it actually made me drowsy, although it did stop the itching but I just can't use it or I fall asleep. Referring to another post where somebody thought it related to a flu shot. I've never had a flu shot and neither has my daughter who had this last year. I think mine are slowly going away but leaving little brown patches. So I need to maybe use a Cocoa butter type product to lessen the scarring. I ended up with the rash pretty much all over my trunk, tops of legs and groin area,some on my neck and a few at the tops of my arms. My daughter was lucky hers didn't itch because it's been awful.

Comment from: melglove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I at first thought I had ringworm and for 2.5 weeks I was treating it as such. Lotrimin Ultra 2 to 3 times a day. Frantically cleaning everything all the time. The 'herald patch' is on my breast and about the size of a quarter. Then I started getting smaller patches on my back, hip area, groin, stomach. I was treating all of them with Lotrimin to no avail. Made a doctor's appointment and as soon as he looked at it he diagnosed it. Funny thing is as soon as he said I had it, I had an 'aha' moment. My 25 year old daughter had it last year and had it bad. Absolutely covered. He said I'm out of the normal age range which is 10 to 35 but it had been seen in older. Also it's mostly seen in winter months and here I am in Texas in August. Go figure. I'm thinking I won't get it like my daughter because it's been over two weeks since the Herald patch appeared and I'm not looking anything like her. Within 7 days she was covered. Mine is slightly itchy sometimes, hers wasn't. Not sure there's much I can do. Maybe calamine, oatmeal bath, or some such thing. Just have to wait it out. Hers lasted 12 weeks.

Published: August 13

I am lady in my 50's and the first time I contracted Pityriasis Rosea was a few months ago. I had gotten a respiratory infection and noticed this red, itchy, scaly, patch on my lower abdomen. It quickly spread to approx. 12" long and 4" wide. I was beside myself, as to how I could get rid of it. I did some research and narrowed it down to Pityriasis Rosea. I was reading on a forum, at the time and found this suggestion from a girl who had great results from using bleach to get rid of the infection. I know it sounds weird, but I bought some bleach that day, dipped a Q-tip into it and started swabbing the infection twice a day and in two weeks the infection was gone. I have now my second outbreak of Pityriasis Rosea, due to the fact that I have another respiratory infection. So, I started swabbing with bleach again, and I can already see the beginnings of getting rid of this infection. So if all else fails, you might try using the bleach.

Comment from: cabeman55, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I wasn't officially diagnosed with PR, but what I get now (started a year and a half ago) looks like the pictures. I believe the guilty culprit is a type of Demodex Mite, but without validating it under a microscope the jury is still out. None-the-less, what clears it up is Hydrocortisone Cream.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: March 06

This is the second time I'm having this after 4 years, and it's actually worse than the first time, even though the mother patch was bigger last time. So definitely you don't get lifelong immunity if you get it once. This time I did not use any medication for it in the first two weeks, so my rashes grow way more than the last time, which I had used erythromycin from the beginning, and they are also more itchy than the last time.

Comment from: Destiny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I've had pityriasis rosea for about a month and a half, but only diagnosed by a doctor yesterday. My herald patch appeared on my collarbone around the same time two smaller spots appeared on my forearm near the inside of my elbow. I thought they were spider bites at first. As the collarbone spot got weirder, I suspected ringworm. Then the spots on my chest, abdomen, and sides started and I suspected bedbugs or fleas - but my husband didn't have spots and my cats weren't itchy. The rash has is worst on my breasts, but has spread all over my abdomen, back, inner arms, and upper thighs. The only thing that helps my itch is Avon Skin So Soft original bath oil spray. I'm terrified to have permanent marks. I'm already disabled because of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome; don't need embarrassing skin spots on top of that.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.