Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

Comment from: Jelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

First of all, I would say that pityriasis rosea is definitely contagious. I have had it for more than two weeks, and my son has just started to develop a rash in the last 48 hours. The best treatments that I have found so far to heal and stop the rash from developing further are sunlight and a cream that contains 2% fusidic acid. I am using Aloe Vera gel, calamine cream and aqueous calamine cream for the itching.

Comment from: itchy male, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I have read about these symptoms and I have them all and like one posting my pityriasis rosea occurred after a flu shot. I had three biopsies taken and they came back stating that my condition was related to prolonged drug use. I asked my doctor if the flu shot could have caused it but he denied that it could. I have tried all sorts of creams but nothing has worked so I will give the Head & Shoulders and Bio-Oil a go. I think that there should be a national pityriasis rosea day.

Comment from: PR SUFFERER, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

HEAD AND SHOULDERS REALLY WORKED! I thank everyone for their sharing. I tried using the head and shoulders as s body wash and OMG what a difference it made. Just after the first use the itching and redness disappeared. On the second day of use, the rash started to peal and turn tannish. I am very hopeful that I am on my way to recovery. I shower twice a day with head and shoulders and then use Aveeno eczema cream.

Comment from: ljp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have had this condition since August of 2012. The doctor first thought it was in the ringworm family and treated me for that. When it didn't go away, I went back and she gave me antibiotics for a yeast infection. When that didn't go away, I switched doctors and that is when I received the information about pityriasis rosea. That was in November of 2012. In January 2013, I went back and the doctor did a biopsy, only to tell me I still had the rash and that it would go away in 3 to 4 months. I am now going to see another doctor. I am frustrated and fed up.

Comment from: HPPSINC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

Aveeno bath treatment, Aveeno anti-itch concentrated lotion, and Prednisone helped decrease itching. Over the counter cortisone was useless for me.

Comment from: anonymous, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 27

My 16-year-old son was just diagnosed. At first, we thought it might be spider bites, then chicken pox. It spread, so we took him to the doctor, who immediately diagnosed him with PR. I don't think it was caused by a flu shot, as some people have mentioned. He never had one.

Comment from: wayne, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I got pityriasis rosea in 2008. I initially thought it was ringworm as I was wrestling at the time, but I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea soon after. I went to a tanning bed daily which dramatically increased the healing process. I also had a few re-occurrences but I did not have anywhere near as many lesions as the first time. Again, exposure to sun or tanning beds made the rash quickly dissipate.

Comment from: liberace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 52 and have had pityriasis rosea since I was 40. I have tried every cream, concoction, natural and man-made out there. My first spot is still above my ankle and is about 4 inches in diameter. I have quite a few other "herald" spots. A few disappeared, but most remain. I found out earlier this year I have celiac, and the effects this has on my immune system has contributed to the lengthiness of the PR. Since I have changed my diet, some of the spots have lightened, some have appeared. I often wonder if the cleansing from eating gluten-free is contributing to the disappearance. By the way, I believe sugar irritates them.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.