Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

Comment from: lolita, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Head and Shoulders and Bio-Oil helped me with my pityriasis rosea. After a week of using Head and Shoulders and Bio-Oil I am looking 90 percent normal.

Comment from: Nikola, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Hello, I'm 24 years old and I have been suffering from pityriasis rosea for 5 weeks and 2 days. Yes I have been counting. When I first had this I went to the doctor about three weeks into the condition (I procrastinate). He told me I had an allergic reaction. He gave me a steroid shot which helped and then gave me some sort of antibiotic 14 pill system. Went back again when it got worse one week later and... same thing, expect more antibiotics. Pityriasis Rosea can possibly be linked to a virus so antibiotics would not help. What did help is this; get Dove healing brand the one that says #1 etc. Use that only to shower and Head and Shoulders regular brand for the shampoo. UV light does help so I went to a tanning salon with the highest grade UV safe tanning beds. Also get Jergen's healing care lotion or Curel unscented and use to keep skin moist but not too wet. I've done all that except the tanning for 4 days and tanned the last two. The results are amazing the relief is ridiculous. If you have this you know what I am saying seriously do this. I can finally sleep. Oh yeah I used Children's Benadryl to help me sleep only taking 50 mg sparingly. Hope this helps! I am not a doctor but if we can get a study on this? Seriously I'd rather go through pneumonia or a crazy fever than go through this because it lasts so long. It's like the Chinese water drop torture technique.

Comment from: LD, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I was given a prescription for Clobetasol Propionate. Told to apply twice a day. After 2 days noticed a dramatic reduction in itching and redness, except where you can't apply it(face, armpits, groin). After 1 week I feel much better. Also switched to milder soap and took Oatmeal baths twice a week. Good luck.

Comment from: ahs5058, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I don't know how well this will work for other people but it worked WONDERS on me in just two days. I'm 22 and I've had this rash on and off for about 8 years. I was told to use Head and Shoulders as a lotion, I was told to use it as body wash, I got a prescription for body wash and nothing was working. But I just tried using Head and Shoulders for body wash again because, although it didn't get rid of the rash, it helped with the redness. My grandma and I spent 10 minutes in the grocery store looking at lotions for me and we picked Cortizone 10 Hydrasensitive Natural Aloe Formula for Healing. Using Head and Shoulders and then the lotion after getting a shower, my rash was virtually gone in two days.

Comment from: Tlrash, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I'm a 46 year old female and I presently have this rash for the second time. The first time, about 8 years ago, it lasted 8 weeks and caused severe itching. It did start with a herald patch and two doctors confirmed it. It spread from the top of my neck to my ankles. I was very concerned that it would cause scarring but it suddenly disappeared and left no scars. I got it again recently. So much for immunity after having it. This time, it's not as severe. I read that UV light will speed up healing so I have been to a tanning bed three times in the past two weeks. It does seem to heal the present rash, but the rash is still slowly spreading down one leg. Most doctors or websites will not tell you to use a tanning bed but I do believe it helps speed up healing...just use the mildest bed and for no more than twice a week. I'm quite dismayed by the lack of knowledge about this rash. Seems no one knows if it's even a virus, and no known cause or cure. Here's my theory: it's caused by the flu shot, which I get every year, and this year is possibly the same or similar strain which I got years ago when I first got this rash. I would like to know if others with this rash got a flu shot in 2010.

Comment from: DoodlesMcGee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

Since I cannot take any drugs whatsoever, I have to rely on every natural product and method out there. I am using colloidal silver (dabbing it on my patches) and also a product from Melaleuca called "Dermacort". It instantly relieves any itching and keeps the patches somewhat moist like a cream. Staying calm and quiet helps my stress levels and not getting overheated helps deter the itching. I also detox myself twice a week with an awesome Concord grape juice fasting program as well as using another product called "Zeolyte" which detoxes and strengthens the immune system. The key is building up your immune system any way you can so your body will heal itself. Too much to share and not enough space here!

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.