Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

Comment from: HPPSINC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

Aveeno bath treatment, Aveeno anti-itch concentrated lotion, and Prednisone helped decrease itching. Over the counter cortisone was useless for me.

Comment from: anonymous, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 27

My 16-year-old son was just diagnosed. At first, we thought it might be spider bites, then chicken pox. It spread, so we took him to the doctor, who immediately diagnosed him with PR. I don't think it was caused by a flu shot, as some people have mentioned. He never had one.

Comment from: wayne, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I got pityriasis rosea in 2008. I initially thought it was ringworm as I was wrestling at the time, but I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea soon after. I went to a tanning bed daily which dramatically increased the healing process. I also had a few re-occurrences but I did not have anywhere near as many lesions as the first time. Again, exposure to sun or tanning beds made the rash quickly dissipate.

Comment from: liberace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 52 and have had pityriasis rosea since I was 40. I have tried every cream, concoction, natural and man-made out there. My first spot is still above my ankle and is about 4 inches in diameter. I have quite a few other "herald" spots. A few disappeared, but most remain. I found out earlier this year I have celiac, and the effects this has on my immune system has contributed to the lengthiness of the PR. Since I have changed my diet, some of the spots have lightened, some have appeared. I often wonder if the cleansing from eating gluten-free is contributing to the disappearance. By the way, I believe sugar irritates them.

Comment from: melglove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I posted before. This is an update. My doc gave me a steroid cream which did stop the severe itching I have been getting. It wakes me up at night. The cream can't be used often though and it actually made me drowsy, although it did stop the itching but I just can't use it or I fall asleep. Referring to another post where somebody thought it related to a flu shot. I've never had a flu shot and neither has my daughter who had this last year. I think mine are slowly going away but leaving little brown patches. So I need to maybe use a Cocoa butter type product to lessen the scarring. I ended up with the rash pretty much all over my trunk, tops of legs and groin area,some on my neck and a few at the tops of my arms. My daughter was lucky hers didn't itch because it's been awful.

Comment from: melglove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I at first thought I had ringworm and for 2.5 weeks I was treating it as such. Lotrimin Ultra 2 to 3 times a day. Frantically cleaning everything all the time. The 'herald patch' is on my breast and about the size of a quarter. Then I started getting smaller patches on my back, hip area, groin, stomach. I was treating all of them with Lotrimin to no avail. Made a doctor's appointment and as soon as he looked at it he diagnosed it. Funny thing is as soon as he said I had it, I had an 'aha' moment. My 25 year old daughter had it last year and had it bad. Absolutely covered. He said I'm out of the normal age range which is 10 to 35 but it had been seen in older. Also it's mostly seen in winter months and here I am in Texas in August. Go figure. I'm thinking I won't get it like my daughter because it's been over two weeks since the Herald patch appeared and I'm not looking anything like her. Within 7 days she was covered. Mine is slightly itchy sometimes, hers wasn't. Not sure there's much I can do. Maybe calamine, oatmeal bath, or some such thing. Just have to wait it out. Hers lasted 12 weeks.

Published: August 13

I am lady in my 50's and the first time I contracted Pityriasis Rosea was a few months ago. I had gotten a respiratory infection and noticed this red, itchy, scaly, patch on my lower abdomen. It quickly spread to approx. 12" long and 4" wide. I was beside myself, as to how I could get rid of it. I did some research and narrowed it down to Pityriasis Rosea. I was reading on a forum, at the time and found this suggestion from a girl who had great results from using bleach to get rid of the infection. I know it sounds weird, but I bought some bleach that day, dipped a Q-tip into it and started swabbing the infection twice a day and in two weeks the infection was gone. I have now my second outbreak of Pityriasis Rosea, due to the fact that I have another respiratory infection. So, I started swabbing with bleach again, and I can already see the beginnings of getting rid of this infection. So if all else fails, you might try using the bleach.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.