Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

Comment from: Audra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I got this rash almost three weeks ago. At first, I thought it was hives but then went to the doctor and was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea. I kind of knew it wasn't hives because Benadryl didn't clear it up for me. After the first week, it was all over my torso, back, and some on my neck and arms which itched the worst. The doctors told me to wait it out – they even told me to keep working out and just put hydrocortisone all over myself to stop the itching. Whenever I was sweating it would itch unbearably and I would get more. I went to my acupuncturist who told me to take lukewarm/cold showers and to get some sun. He also gave me some herbs called "YinVive" or Liu Wei Di Huang Pian. Well, almost three weeks later, thanks to 5 tanning sessions and taking the herbs three times a day, I'm about 85% better. I figure one more week and two more tans should kick this thing for good. I also cleaned up my diet a little bit – stopped drinking alcohol, cut out sweets, and lowered my carbohydrates, and started taking multi-vitamins again. Seriously, when doctors tell you to "wait it out" that's nonsense. There are remedies out there that can speed up the healing process.

Comment from: Monica, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My 10-year-old son has had pityriasis rosea for the past 7 months. The rash started in August 2013 and we made several visits to various dermatologists and used all sorts of creams but nothing worked. After the anguish of not knowing what it was up to November, a biopsy was done and the results indicated that he had pityriasis rosea. This for me, was a relief because I thought a cure would be easily found. However, I became more depressed upon realizing that it has no cure. The dermatologist continued prescribing various creams especially to stop the itching. At the beginning of this month (February 2014), he prescribed 5% salicylic acid in petroleum jelly. He applied this twice a day. He also prescribed Quadriderm cream, applying it once a day. He also took erythromycin estolate Tablets. This medication was for 10 days but within a week of taking, the rash started to fade away. It is such a relief and I wanted to share this with everyone who could be in similar situations. The doctor has now prescribed 15% azelaic acid to assist clearing the scars. He has continued with the 5% salicylic acid in petroleum jelly but once a day as well as the erythromycin tablets. He is taking these for 10 more days.

Comment from: Val, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had pityriasis rosea for about over 8 months. After looking online in this forum I have used Head & Shoulders (clinical strength 100%flake free shampoo) and used as a body wash; it is in an orange product inside blue container. I also used Cortizone-10 (Hydratensive Natural Aloe Formula Healing); it helps heal dry, itchy skin. The result is phenomenal in just one week in the front of my body, the spots had become invisible and in another half week they were gone. And at the back where it is hard to reach it has become a lot less visible but should be gone shortly. I had this for over 9 month and it was spreading all over my body.

Comment from: Sharon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have pityriasis rosea. I have tried medications, UV light, creams and calamine lotion (Epimax/Epizone). I have researched and used my own concoctions like coconut/tea tree/zinc/tissue oils, shampoos (Head & Shoulders works for yeast infections only) but nothing worked. I finally found relief from prednisone, Aterax, Trepiline, Dazit, Advantan cream and Dermovate mixed with Epimax. This was the treatment given to me by my dermatologist after numerous visits and test and this honestly works. For the first time in weeks, I have no itching, just the scars which will take time to heal. Taking cold as possible baths helps, hot water makes you itch more.

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have had a rash very similar to pityriasis rosea for 5 months now. At first it was diagnosed and medicated for scabies. It wasn't scabies. Then a biopsy was taken and nothing was found. I was unhappy with this dermatologist and found another. This one prescribed taking a bath with 2 oz. of bleach a few times a week. The rash stopped spreading and began to dry out. I am not rash free yet; but I am not as itchy and my back looks better. My advice: dermatologists are all different. Find one that actually cares for you and listens to you. Trust yourself to know what is best for you.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

For pityriasis rosea, try taking garlic pills and include yogurt in your diet and also cut down on sugars. I am going to try the head and shoulders shampoo.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.