Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I broke out with pityriasis rosea on December 19, 2015. It is now April 3, 2016 and I am still having rash break outs. It's been a long 15 weeks! The doctor told me it would last 6 to 8 weeks. My arms, legs and belly are covered with red spots. Not a happy camper!

Comment from: Fast96Ss, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 54 year old male. I developed bumps on the back of my neck and forearms, with herald patch on my shoulder blade. My doctor friend diagnosed pityriasis rosea via multimedia text. I noticed on Friday, diagnosed Friday night, and started tanning bed and antihistamine with colloidal oatmeal and two applications of Head and Shoulders. Today is Monday, and spots are drying and not as itchy. I put on shampoo like lotion. Coating skin, allowing to almost dry, and then shower 2 times a day. It seems to be working for me. Good luck. I think I was fortunate to have a doctor friend who diagnosed as soon as I noticed the bumps. I am a diabetic, and keep a close eye out for things that are out of the ordinary. I have a tube of lidocaine hydrochloride 2 percent that handles what the antihistamine and oatmeal doesn't. My best advice is don't delay, make friends with a physician. Biggest puzzle is how and why I got this. This needs to be resolved. Being told there is no cure and no known cause, and no real treatment because it's self-limiting is nonsense. Because I know of no studies on this, I can't say if it is the shampoo, or the colloidal oatmeal, or the tanning beds, (2 trips in 4 days, will wait a couple of days before doing that again) or the tea tree oil or the lidocaine or the cortisone 10. I tried them all, and after 4 days I have marked improvement, less itching, healing welts, and a high degree of optimism. Hope this helps some body.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

We tried several different creams for pityriasis rosea. I was diagnosed in 12/2015. I had it over my entire body, even a couple of patches on my face. Nothing relieved the itching until my wife bought extra strength anti-itch allergic cream (name brand is Benadryl itch stopping cream) from, of all places, Big Lots. That has helped me, I may be able to survive this terrible rash. I have her cover me twice a day and it really helps with the itching. This only cost USD 2.00 a tube. But it is worth so much more.

Comment from: Clare, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 02

We discovered a treatment for pityriasis rosea. Believe it or not, you can use Desitin, it is meant for baby diaper rash. After the first few days the difference was amazing and it is almost gone! We used the maximum strength 40 percent zinc oxide version. The key, we think, is the zinc which has been shown to have natural anti-viral properties. It worked like a charm for us, hope it does for you too.

Comment from: trini1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was pregnant at 40 and developed pityriasis rosea (PR) in the 5th month of pregnancy. I got aqueous cream with 10 percent urea and 10 percent glycerin for it and it went away in about 6 weeks. It was very itchy and all over my torso, lots and lots of spots. It is now 5 years on and I have PR again, now in 3rd week but spots are only 5 plus herald patch. I have for last week and a half, been using clove oil mixed into my Cetaphil body lotion. I also put a mixture of glycerin and water (mixed 1 part glycerin to 3 parts water) to which I have added several drops of clove oil. I put this mixture on my skin first, then put Cetaphil over it as I have very dry skin. I also mix clove oil with water on a Q-tip and apply directly onto the spots. Spots are still slightly itchy but are drying up. I believe the clove oil is what is keeping the outbreak of spots to a minimum as well as keeping skin moisturized. I will update in 2 weeks. One word of caution, be extremely careful when using clove oil. It is very strong and can burn the skin.

Comment from: Babygirl602, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am 20 years old and was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea on December 24th, 2015. I noticed a patch at first on my chest that developed and was very itchy. About a week later I went to urgent care because my primary care physician was booked. Urgent care told me it was ringworm and put me on antifungal creams for about a weak. Then it started to spread all over my chest, stomach, back, breast, and some on my neck. I really panicked and went to the emergency room to discover I was misdiagnosed and was told pretty much the same thing; the cause is unknown and just to let it take its course and it will go away on its own. The doctor prescribed me hydroxide for the itching. I really want to know more about this rash, I soon found out my mother's friend has this as well and the doctor told me his neighbor had it, so I am curious to learn more about this.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.