Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

Comment from: LD, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I was given a prescription for Clobetasol Propionate. Told to apply twice a day. After 2 days noticed a dramatic reduction in itching and redness, except where you can't apply it(face, armpits, groin). After 1 week I feel much better. Also switched to milder soap and took Oatmeal baths twice a week. Good luck.

Comment from: ahs5058, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I don't know how well this will work for other people but it worked WONDERS on me in just two days. I'm 22 and I've had this rash on and off for about 8 years. I was told to use Head and Shoulders as a lotion, I was told to use it as body wash, I got a prescription for body wash and nothing was working. But I just tried using Head and Shoulders for body wash again because, although it didn't get rid of the rash, it helped with the redness. My grandma and I spent 10 minutes in the grocery store looking at lotions for me and we picked Cortizone 10 Hydrasensitive Natural Aloe Formula for Healing. Using Head and Shoulders and then the lotion after getting a shower, my rash was virtually gone in two days.

Comment from: Tlrash, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I'm a 46 year old female and I presently have this rash for the second time. The first time, about 8 years ago, it lasted 8 weeks and caused severe itching. It did start with a herald patch and two doctors confirmed it. It spread from the top of my neck to my ankles. I was very concerned that it would cause scarring but it suddenly disappeared and left no scars. I got it again recently. So much for immunity after having it. This time, it's not as severe. I read that UV light will speed up healing so I have been to a tanning bed three times in the past two weeks. It does seem to heal the present rash, but the rash is still slowly spreading down one leg. Most doctors or websites will not tell you to use a tanning bed but I do believe it helps speed up healing...just use the mildest bed and for no more than twice a week. I'm quite dismayed by the lack of knowledge about this rash. Seems no one knows if it's even a virus, and no known cause or cure. Here's my theory: it's caused by the flu shot, which I get every year, and this year is possibly the same or similar strain which I got years ago when I first got this rash. I would like to know if others with this rash got a flu shot in 2010.

Comment from: DoodlesMcGee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

Since I cannot take any drugs whatsoever, I have to rely on every natural product and method out there. I am using colloidal silver (dabbing it on my patches) and also a product from Melaleuca called "Dermacort". It instantly relieves any itching and keeps the patches somewhat moist like a cream. Staying calm and quiet helps my stress levels and not getting overheated helps deter the itching. I also detox myself twice a week with an awesome Concord grape juice fasting program as well as using another product called "Zeolyte" which detoxes and strengthens the immune system. The key is building up your immune system any way you can so your body will heal itself. Too much to share and not enough space here!

Comment from: Jelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

First of all, I would say that pityriasis rosea is definitely contagious. I have had it for more than two weeks, and my son has just started to develop a rash in the last 48 hours. The best treatments that I have found so far to heal and stop the rash from developing further are sunlight and a cream that contains 2% fusidic acid. I am using Aloe Vera gel, calamine cream and aqueous calamine cream for the itching.

Comment from: PR SUFFERER, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

HEAD AND SHOULDERS REALLY WORKED! I thank everyone for their sharing. I tried using the head and shoulders as s body wash and OMG what a difference it made. Just after the first use the itching and redness disappeared. On the second day of use, the rash started to peal and turn tannish. I am very hopeful that I am on my way to recovery. I shower twice a day with head and shoulders and then use Aveeno eczema cream.

Comment from: ljp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have had this condition since August of 2012. The doctor first thought it was in the ringworm family and treated me for that. When it didn't go away, I went back and she gave me antibiotics for a yeast infection. When that didn't go away, I switched doctors and that is when I received the information about pityriasis rosea. That was in November of 2012. In January 2013, I went back and the doctor did a biopsy, only to tell me I still had the rash and that it would go away in 3 to 4 months. I am now going to see another doctor. I am frustrated and fed up.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.