Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?

Comment from: distressed in midwes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Pityriasis rosea is the worst ever rash I've had in my life. It started out in one area and my doctor simply said it would get worse but she never said it was going to attack my whole body. If you have dry, sensitive skin like I do, avoid Head and Shoulders and calamine. They will only dry out your skin and make you itch more. Aveeno cream, steroids and steroids creams are useless. Stress and heat make no difference for me. I hate living with this and knowing I'll have this the rest of my life.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I got this pityriasis rosea rash a week ago on February 2nd. I was so depressed knowing there was no cure or reason to it. Thanks to you all and your advice, I went to the tanning bed, had 2 sessions each of 10 minutes, Monday and Tuesday this week, and also used the Head and Shoulders shampoo as body wash twice so far and my rash is better by 90 percent. I got the Curel cream but that one seemed to irritate the skin on the first try so I stopped using it. I used a moisturizing oil instead and it worked well. So, definitely, the UV rays and the Head and Shoulders shampoo worked very well. I wanted to share this because thanks to this site I was able to find some relief. It is crazy that there is no cause or cure for this sort of rash. Good luck to all!

Comment from: alyssac, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Pityriasis rosea was an incredibly annoying, inconvenient and sometimes scary experience to go through. The steps I took that actually worked were bed tans (yes, just go for 6 to 10 minutes at a good quality tanning booth) wash your body with Head and Shoulders, soak in coconut oil, vitamin E, aloe vera and even some chamomile. This helped clear me up almost 100 percent in less than 2 weeks. Good luck! Hang in there.

Comment from: New mom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was a new mother, breast feeding my 2 month old when the rash first appeared. After visiting the doctor he diagnosed the spreading, itchy rash as pityriasis rosea. I was relieved it was not contagious, and I was able to successfully feed my baby without fear. The rash continued to spread all over my body by 'waiting it out' as the doctor said. After two weeks of unbearable living I found Head and Shoulders clinical strength shampoo. I used this shampoo as a body wash twice a day in a cold shower. The results were amazing. Within 2 days the angry looking rash calmed down. The itching was under control and the spreading slowed down. After one week of shampoo use the rash is fading, and almost gone. The relief from this shampoo was astonishing, give it a try. I hope it works.

Comment from: Mummyme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I too was diagnosed with his horrible itchy condition of pityriasis rosea. My doctors, like many others, said I would just have to let it take its course and suggested approximately 4 to 8 weeks but could be up to 6 months. I felt totally deflated after leaving the surgery. However after using the hydrocortisone cream for a few days with no relief, I remembered growing up and my mum suggesting using toothpaste to dry up a few teenage spots. Feeling desperate I thought what have I got to lose! Made sure I applied after a lukewarm bath so that it became a lather and had a rather minty restless night's sleep. I washed off in the morning and the itch during that day eased. By the following day they had started to fade and 4 days later I am 90% back to normal. Overall I would have had this condition for 9 days. So relieved. May be just fluke, but thought if you are desperate anything is worth a try and it may work for you.

Comment from: DawnDon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I've had pityriasis rosea for about two weeks. I found that Cortizone cream didn't help a lot but when it really itches badly I use it anyhow. It's been really hot here and it's hard to keep myself cool. The heat makes it worse. I found that Curel Itch Defense lotion helps quite a bit. I had to order it online because it's not in stores around here. I put the lotion on three times a day and it helps to keep the skin lubricated with this. Petroleum jelly worked well too but I couldn't stand the stickiness of it.

Comment from: Sophie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

Don't listen to the rubbish advice of 'just wait it out'! Drink lots of water, eat well, take a vitamin supplement, wash with head and shoulder, keep skin moisturized and try not to scratch! Most importantly what worked for me for pityriasis rosea (PR) was to go and get burnt on a sun bed. I don't condone the use of sun beds for vanity purposes but for a one off it is ok. I had had PR for about 5 weeks, I used the sun bed every day for 3 minutes for a week then sick of seeing little results, I doubled the time. I burnt like crazy, especially round the rash which was odd, but then the next morning it was pretty much gone! No itching, just a few faded spots left. Horrible virus for which treatment and causes sadly won't be looked into as it is not 'dangerous' and money is needed elsewhere.

Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.