Patient Comments: Pityriasis Rosea - Experience

Please describe your experience with pityriasis rosea.

Comment from: Carmen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea 1 year ago. I received two treatments but they did not help. I decided to make my own research about it so I tried to control it instead of getting rid of it. The sun and sweating is a good way to burn them. It seems to me that it makes smaller. Also I avoid junk food and try to eat healthy. I drink juices during the morning. This help to control it; since I started drinking this juice it helped to stop them from growing. Try to investigate more about homeopathy. Try to control your stress. That's the hardest part of all. I used two treatments and they did not help at all. I decide to use natural resources.

Comment from: Rapunz3el, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

I'm now a caregiver, but was once a patient. I had pityriasis rosea for up to a year before I found something that worked. The doctor at first prescribed prednisolone tablets and topical hydrocortisone. That did help with the itching but the rash only got worse. Sunlight didn't help much. I tried head and shoulders which dried up the rashes but was very harsh on my skin, until I got the Selsun shampoo (contains Selenium sulphide) and there was visible improvement within hours! All my dark spots are gone!

Comment from: Jmac26, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

My pityriasis rosea started with an upper respiratory infection, then widespread eczema which blossomed into pityriasis. Inverse, first on legs, thighs and butt, and then spread to torso, back, shoulders and upper arms, as legs returned to normal. I am at the week six or week seven mark now. It is still maddening. I am taking either Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton every four hours to help with itching. I also use a topical corticosteroid, triamcinolone acetonide ointment prescription. I add some Tylenol and Chardonnay when it gets really bad. Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide 1 percent) didn't help much. Good luck.

Comment from: felix, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I started out with a nasty rash, well, I thought it was hives and a reaction to some vitamins I had just started taking. I had it all over my groin, thighs and back. Now 2 weeks later it has spread to my inner arms and making its way down my legs. In the mornings I wake up with swollen lips and puffy eyes. I went to the doctor yesterday and he says its pityriasis rosea, no doubt about it. He prescribed Celestone M cream for the rash and Head and Shoulders shampoo as a body wash. He tells me there is no cure, just to wait it out; are you kidding me! I find it hard to sleep at night and the rash drives me crazy at times with the itch. I don't think the cream is working but I will give it longer. I am feeling quite upset today, it is my third day off work.

Comment from: Cope1234, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea (PR) 6 weeks ago, classic everything. I can tell this was brought on by major stress (death of a godmother). I'm lucky that mine does not itch much but it has been havoc on my self-esteem. Definitely the hot showers make it worse, and lack of rest. I'm hoping this goes away fast but I'm sorry to read that some have had it 8 months. I'm going to try the head and shoulders tomorrow and the tanning bed. I really need a pick me up.

Comment from: LYDIA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I am present going through an attack of pityriasis rosea. It appeared with the herald spot on my chest and I thought it was ringworm as I had just returned from a festival. After loads of research I feel people with this foul disease should be given more advice. I am in my seventh week and it's just starting to fade. I still have clusters springing up. One thing I found helps is goat's yogurt, not eating, but just plastering on. Luckily mine didn't itch (wow) thankful for that. Anyway my fellow suffers, take heart and think the body will repair itself in time.

Pityriasis Rosea - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with pityriasis rosea?
Pityriasis Rosea - Prognosis Question: Please discuss your pityriasis rosea prognosis.