Table of Contents
- Pinworms facts
- Can humans get pinworms?
- What are the symptoms of pinworms in children and adults?
- Who gets pinworms?
- How do you get pinworms?
- Can you get pinworms in the vagina?
- What do pinworms and their eggs look like (pinworm pictures)?
- Which specialties of doctors treat pinworms?
- How is the tape test used in diagnosing pinworms?
- Are there natural or home remedies that treat pinworms?
- What medicine treats pinworms?
- What are the consequences if pinworms aren't treated?
- Can pinworms be prevented?
What Do Pinworms Look Like?
Pinworms are white, can be seen with the naked eye, and are about the length of a staple. At night, adult pinworms can sometimes be seen directly on the person's pajamas or around the anal area. The best time to look for pinworms is at night when the person wakes up due to itching in the anal/rectal. This sensation is likely caused by migrating female worms depositing eggs and irritating the skin.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Enterobiasis (also known as Pinworm Infection)." Updated Feb 9, 2016.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!