Patient Comments: Pink Eye - Facts

Did your pinkeye spread to any other members of your family?

Comment from: Nonie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am a 62 year old female with first case of pink eye. I got it from an infected patient at a chiropractic office where I work. The doctor at the office also has had it. It's been 2 days of using ofloxacin drops. I also have thick nasal discharge and tenderness in neck/throat area. Probably I'll be going back to the doctor tomorrow. I'm very angry with this person who used public transportation to the office, infecting so many people and costing me all my personal/sick days!

Comment from: bubbasmom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My 6-year-old son had pink eye. I took him to doctor and got eyedrops. His symptoms were gone in about five days. I thought we were all good, but then his sister got it, too, seven days later.

Published: October 19

I did not get pink-eye until I was an adult. I got it right after I had my thyroid removed and it was reoccurring. It was very severe in both eyes. Once I was able to stabilize my THS with the right dosage of Levothyroxine I no longer would get pink-eye .There are also other eye diseases that have similar symptoms that need to be diagnosed by an eye doctor , go to see one instead of a G.P. if you ever have what you think is pink-eye.

Comment from: Marlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 12

My great-grandkids had pink eye, treated with Polysporin. 10 days later they met my son, who got pink eye 5 days later. He stayed with me the first 2 days, and now, 11 days after that, I have it. I'm 75 and never had it before.

Published: January 24

It started with my ten year old, he took prescribed eye drops and it cleared up. Ten days later, the five year old got pinkeye. Three days after that, I got pinkeye. Three days after that, my eighteen month old baby got it. This is in spite of using eye drops and a lot of handwashing. Most of us had mild to moderate cold symptoms as well.

Comment from: henrysmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

We went to San Diego with the high school band. One of the chaperones had pinkeye in both eyes so bad that she wore her sunglasses inside and outside for the first day and a half. About 10 days later, our son had a horrible cough/ cold and pinkeye. Five days later, my husband got a milder case of it. Now, five days later, I have it in both eyes, along with a sore throat and bad cough. All thanks to the "princess" that couldn't stay home when she should have.

Comment from: Shine, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I've had pinkeye over and over in the past month. Like a fool, I continue to wear makeup. I ran out of the meds the doctor gave me. So I threw out all my makeup and bought new stuff and more drops (Polysporin Antibiotic Eye/Ear Drops). I haven't touched my new makeup yet – I refuse to until the pinkeye is cleared up, although it is very tempting. I also boiled all my shower stuff, including my eyelash crimper and tweezers, for at least an hour. I let my makeup case sit in very hot water to try to save what I can. I wash the door handles every day and change my bedding regularly. The latest time I got pinkeye, I was still using my old drops for at least a week. Now I've been using Polysporin drops for a week. I've read that pinkeye can last 7 to 14 days. My eyes aren't red anymore but I still get a tiny bit of discharge. When I put the drops in it causes an unbearable itch. I'm trying my best not to touch my eyes. I don't know if I should continue to use my drops or if this will cause more bacterial infection. I don't want to have to pay $75 to see the doctor again. I miss wearing makeup.

Comment from: rebecca8, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 07

I got pink eye 14 days ago. It cleared without antibiotics in 5 days. Two days later my husband got it. It cleared up in three days. I woke up this morning and I have it again. And the symptoms are worse this time.

Pink Eye - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your pink eye last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Pink Eye - Treatments Question: What was the home treatment for your pink eye?
Pink Eye - Contagious Question: What do you do to keep from getting or spreading pink eye?