Patient Comments: Pink Eye - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your pink eye last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Caring retailer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I work in retail store for many years. While cleaning the glass countertops and sides, I sprayed so much Windex and on top of that, unknowingly I had to use the microscope to inspect some items. That was so filthy and dirty that I contracted the pink eye. So now I am home for 4 days straight in bed with plain eye drops and forcing myself to sleep through my pains. The allergy pills helped minimize the swelling and the runny nose. So beware! If you see any stores with very dirty glass countertops, do not touch.

Comment from: pirategirl007, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I'm currently suffering from my fifth case of pink eye in 12 months. I am 28 and never had pink eye as a child. I am an avid hand washer and am not around children frequently. I can manage to stay away from colds, viruses, flus and the like at work, but pink eye keeps plaguing me. I initially picked up my first case at work about three or four years ago, but this past year has been horrendous. I am not in contact with many people directly at work (about 10 a day) but work in a rather large complex with many more employees. Usually, my symptoms last two to three days after starting the antibiotic drops and then drastically improve. This time that is not the case. I am on my fifth day of antibiotics, and after having relief on the second and third days, my eyes have now flared up worse than before I started the medication. I think it's back to the doctor for me tomorrow. I am starting to think this outbreak is allergic conjunctivitis, and my current drops are just not going to help it.

Comment from: chaz, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

No, nothing helped my pink eye. My eyes are still very sore and painful, I've had it for over a week. I've been using eye drops and ointment but it's still inflamed. I have been to the doctors twice.

Comment from: ladybug, 25-34 (Patient) Published: June 19

For the past 14 years ive been annoyed by what I thought was pink eye. Nothing that the doctor gave me seemed to work. Every time I got it, it usually lasted for a month or two. I couldn't sit outside as the light was too sensitive for my eyes. I was in constant pain. I would have had my eyes removed just to ease the pain. I've tried every ointment, drop, etc., until I went to the eye and ear hospital and they discovered it was an ulcer on my cornea. They said my eyeballs were so scarred from the repeated infections. They put me on a year supply of Zovirax tablets (I stayed on them for three months and it did the trick). I was able to enjoy summer after that as I wasn't getting the infection. I would ask the hospital to check if it doesnt seem to be clearing up.

Comment from: Relieved, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I work in the school system and this my first time having pink eye. Symptoms started for me yesterday and I started the antibiotic drops last night. The mucus drainage stopped within a couple hours of starting the drops and there was instant relief from the pain. Today my eye is feeling so much better and it"s not nearly as red as before. I"m so grateful for the relief and it"s such a relief that my family hasn"t gotten it.

Comment from: Niles, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 24

My son has swelling and he said there was intense pain yesterday, in his eye. There is no redness or change in color at all, just swelling on the eyelid.

Comment from: Max, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My pink eye cleared up in 3 days with prescription eye drops.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am a 50-year-old female who works at an elementary school. I just had my first case of pink eye. I got it first in one eye, and three days later, in the other eye. It has been the most miserable experience of my life. It's been six days, and it's still hanging on, even with the tube of antibiotics. My eyes are red, swollen, drainy, and grainy. I have blurred vision, headaches, fevers and chills.

Pink Eye - Facts Question: Did your pinkeye spread to any other members of your family?
Pink Eye - Treatments Question: What was the home treatment for your pink eye?
Pink Eye - Contagious Question: What do you do to keep from getting or spreading pink eye?