Patient Comments: Pink Eye - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your pink eye last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Caring retailer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I work in retail store for many years. While cleaning the glass countertops and sides, I sprayed so much Windex and on top of that, unknowingly I had to use the microscope to inspect some items. That was so filthy and dirty that I contracted the pink eye. So now I am home for 4 days straight in bed with plain eye drops and forcing myself to sleep through my pains. The allergy pills helped minimize the swelling and the runny nose. So beware! If you see any stores with very dirty glass countertops, do not touch.

Comment from: pirategirl007, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I'm currently suffering from my fifth case of pink eye in 12 months. I am 28 and never had pink eye as a child. I am an avid hand washer and am not around children frequently. I can manage to stay away from colds, viruses, flus and the like at work, but pink eye keeps plaguing me. I initially picked up my first case at work about three or four years ago, but this past year has been horrendous. I am not in contact with many people directly at work (about 10 a day) but work in a rather large complex with many more employees. Usually, my symptoms last two to three days after starting the antibiotic drops and then drastically improve. This time that is not the case. I am on my fifth day of antibiotics, and after having relief on the second and third days, my eyes have now flared up worse than before I started the medication. I think it's back to the doctor for me tomorrow. I am starting to think this outbreak is allergic conjunctivitis, and my current drops are just not going to help it.

Comment from: Relieved, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I work in the school system and this my first time having pink eye. Symptoms started for me yesterday and I started the antibiotic drops last night. The mucus drainage stopped within a couple hours of starting the drops and there was instant relief from the pain. Today my eye is feeling so much better and it"s not nearly as red as before. I"m so grateful for the relief and it"s such a relief that my family hasn"t gotten it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am a 50-year-old female who works at an elementary school. I just had my first case of pink eye. I got it first in one eye, and three days later, in the other eye. It has been the most miserable experience of my life. It's been six days, and it's still hanging on, even with the tube of antibiotics. My eyes are red, swollen, drainy, and grainy. I have blurred vision, headaches, fevers and chills.

Comment from: mom2x, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been teaching school for 20 years and surprisingly, this is the first time I have ever had pink eye. It has been quite a yucky experience! I have been very uncomfortable from the pain and feeling that I had sand in my eye. There seems to be a constant discharge and the area around my eye is raw from the discharge. After two days of antibiotic drops, I can tell some difference but not a big improvement. After reading about it, apparently it will take several more days to be resolved. Sure hope I don't ever get it again!

Comment from: Max, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My pink eye cleared up in 3 days with prescription eye drops.

Comment from: BIGNATEY, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I've had this condition for over 3 years now, every couple of hours getting a greenish yellowish glob of goo in the corner of my eyes; sometimes it is white and stringy too and sometimes my eyes are really watery other times really dry. But this has been a condition I've been living with for years.

Comment from: annie oakley, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 28

My mother had pink eye. She went to the doctor and they gave her meds. She is allergic to everything they gave her. She had me mix the old time remedy for her that my grandmother used, which is boric acid and sterilized water. She has had this problem now for about eight weeks. They took her back to the doctors, who gave her another med that she can't use. So far, she has spent about $200 at the doctor, and she has a limited income. I feel they don't know what they are doing or they don't care. Her eyes feel a little better when she uses the old boric acid remedy.

Pink Eye - Facts Question: Did your pinkeye spread to any other members of your family?
Pink Eye - Treatments Question: What was the home treatment for your pink eye?
Pink Eye - Contagious Question: What do you do to keep from getting or spreading pink eye?