Patient Comments: Pinched Nerve - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a pinched nerve.

Comment from: linde, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

About 10 years ago the doctor had said the sheath around the nerve had collapsed and would probably get worse in time. I have pain in my left hip. It is a sharp stabbing pain. I had an MRI and the discs in my lower back are very thin. My right arm and leg go numb. I have problems sleeping, walking and sitting. I have had 3 bad falls in 3 months. I see a neurologist who says weight loss and pain medications will help, but it is getting worse.

Comment from: unhappy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have pain on my lower back right side, pain below my calf and throbbing on my toes on the right leg, because of pinched nerve. The pain on my lower calf is like I have a nail and someone is hitting it with a hammer. It also feels like it burns inside my leg. I have been taking Norco/acetaminophen and nabumetone. It helps very little. I cry and pray a lot. My back is starting to worsen, the pain is more consistent now. I can hardly walk anymore.

Comment from: janufrespect, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I"m a 42 year old female. I"ve been having pinched nerve for so long, I can recall around 35 years. I was on a trip and tried to get up but couldn"t move right away. The pain across my back was excruciating. I now feel pain mostly on my left side along the back of my leg, sometimes the pain is in my neck and goes down my left arm. I"m feeling pain in my pelvis and if I hold my stomach in, the pain is intense. I try stretching and it helped somewhat but the pain wouldn"t go.

Comment from: Sana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Couple of weeks back I woke up one morning and found that I could not lift a glass of water with my left hand, there was no gripping power ever since then. There is a dull throbbing pain on the side of my elbow, burning pain in my upper arm (humerus) shoulder blade and underarm, especially at night I cannot sleep because of the burning in the subdeltoid bursa.

Comment from: Chuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had had a heart surgery two years ago. During rehabilitation I was doing a lot of walking on a treadmill. After a month, a rehab nurse asked me why I always held on to the rail and I told her that I would wander if I didn't. It was then that I started concentrating on my ability to balance on my left foot. Also my foot arches would ache. Eventually I diagnosed myself with pinched nerves. I went to see a spinal surgeon who determined that I had spinal stenosis pinching all the nerves between L2 and S1. I had weakness in both legs. I have since had four level of laminectomy and some of the feeling and strength is returning to both of my legs although my left is still barely functional after six months. My surgeon believes all nerves will be back to near normal within three years. We shall see. I wish I had figured it out sooner before all of the damage and atrophy.

Comment from: afuqua6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a healthy 51 years young lady that very rarely gets sick (i.e. colds and flu are the only thing, and I have been hospitalized for three C-sections.) I don"t have to take any daily medications. I think the last time I went to the hospital it was in 2007, and that was for my sciatica. But this is a different type of pain. In one arm I have pins and needles going off periodically all day long but then in my right arm it feels like I have a lump in the neck that feels like it moves sometimes from the front to the back but now I am losing my motor skills in the right arm and I can barely raise it horizontally with my body. And it seems to be getting harder to lift it up really quickly. I haven"t had an MRI yet but I'm thinking next week I should be scheduled for one.

Comment from: trychiro, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I injured my back last summer and had difficulty walking. The pain went down my right leg and was excruciating. I heard of a chiropractor in the city, booked an appointment, and am now pain free. I did have a pinched nerve and the chiropractor was worth every penny. Besides, he had proper equipment and listened to my concerns.

Pinched Nerve - Treatment Question: What treatment have you had for your pinched nerve? Did it help?
Pinched Nerve - Symptoms Question: What do your pinched nerve symptoms feel like? Pain, tingling, numbness, or something else?
Pinched Nerve - Diagnosis Question: How was your pinched nerve diagnosed? Did you have an MRI, CT scan, or other test to diagnose your nerve condition?
Pinched Nerve - Causes Question: What was the cause of your pinched nerve?