Patient Comments: Pinched Nerve - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a pinched nerve.

Comment from: bsherrill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

This is a very difficult problem to get help with. I have made it known of the effects it is having to my bowels and bladder, yet it keeps getting denied that there is any such possibility. Maybe because I have insurance through the government? Maybe because doctors, who had been caring for me, are afraid that if it is something serious they will be responsible. It has been going on for almost 3 months. I am exhausted, although I am fighting to remain active, but I get very tired. I am having nerve testing next week, but I am not thrilled about it. I am glad that I have finally had a moment to look this up on the Internet. I already do the exercises or stretches recommended. I am going to start doing the cold packs. I was using heat, and hot showers feel very good. I would also like to get a massage as recommended. I wonder if my insurance would pay for it. If it helps it certainly would save them money. It begins to hurt if sitting very long, and I have terrible pain in my groin area. I am a female.

Comment from: showtime, Male (Patient) Published: May 18

I was in 3 helicopter crashes in Vietnam and had 5 fractures in my spine, being young and sucking it up I didn't mention the pain I was in. Throughout the years I have had debilitating pain off and on where it feels like someone has hit me with a baseball bat in the middle of my back to where I can take a breath w/o a lot of pain and deep pain at that. The spine is tender when someone rubs a thumb along it. I also have I guess sciatica with pain in my left buttock down the back of my leg to my foot. I am diabetic and have loss of feeling in my leg below the knee to where I can stick a needle in it and not feel it. For the past 6 years I have been almost bedridden, unable to stand or walk for any length or distance to the point of being in a wheelchair. The doctors have wanted to operate, but I am in such a dreaded fear as I have spoken with a number of others who have had back surgery and all have come out worse than before. So yes I am afraid of losing the use of my legs permanently, but as of now I at least have some hope. I have been on pain meds and muscle relaxers along with gabapentin. The pain meds "methadone" and muscle relaxer "soma" help rid the pain but addiction is the side effect. I take the lesser of two evils when evaluating whether to continue and for how long. I know 6 years is a long time and I am getting tired of having to depend on others, but now I am experiencing loss of bladder control because I can't feel the need to go and before I know it well you know the rest of the story. I know the VA would love to run me through a series of operations, but they won't give me a success figure or a percentage and without that it would be like a flip of the coin. I did have some spurs removed from the back of my neck with nothing invasive and I was awake the whole time except a very bad burning feeling and sharp pain. I still have some pain there so I ask what did it accomplish?

Comment from: triumphant lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

The right side of my right leg below the knee is numb, then it pinches inside sometimes or hurts in a certain spot. Sometimes it hurts just below the knee or pinches.

Comment from: IMReading, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 14

I have had a pinched nerve in my neck for more than a month and have been going to physical therapy for about two weeks. Neck traction seems to help a little, but it's got a long way to go. What I learned today while walking on my treadmill was somewhat of a revelation; hopefully it could help others have less pain. If I looked straight ahead (OK, I was watching TV), I had the tingles in my left arm (and by putting my left arm over my right shoulder it has always lessened the pain). However, when I was looking down reading a book, my tingles disappeared! I learned it was how the position of my neck was that could turn it on or off at will! I guess it's better to read than to watch TV.

Comment from: blue, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 05

My husband had surgery for a pinched nerve in the elbow. More than six months later, there has been no improvement. Now the surgeon wants to do more surgery on his neck.

Comment from: CA WP, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

Diagnosed with spinal stenosis. Ortho wanted to fuse. Neurosurgeon wanted to remove back of vertebrae. Sounded scary. Neurosurgeon was right. Down time only 3 weeks from surgery to drive again. No painful movement. Procedure is called cervical laminectomy. It's okay to get second opinions!

Comment from: samdamann1, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 16

Mild swelling, constant shooting pain from hand to shoulder, mild bruising in the wrist area and non of the conventional pain meds seem too work (aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and etc.).

Pinched Nerve - Treatment Question: What treatment have you had for your pinched nerve? Did it help?
Pinched Nerve - Symptoms Question: What do your pinched nerve symptoms feel like? Pain, tingling, numbness, or something else?
Pinched Nerve - Diagnosis Question: How was your pinched nerve diagnosed? Did you have an MRI, CT scan, or other test to diagnose your nerve condition?
Pinched Nerve - Causes Question: What was the cause of your pinched nerve?