Patient Comments: Pinched Nerve - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a pinched nerve.

Comment from: merle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

As a child I had many ear problems. At age 40 I had taken malaria pills to prevent getting it. I woke totally deaf in left ear after 2 weeks of taking the pills. I have lived with buzzing now for 13years which drives me mad. I have had to operations the last a T Piece fitted inside my ear to help with pressure and drainage. I have permanent nerve damage to the left side of my face and back of my head. I get such pain from the front to the back of my head and pins and needles and pain behind my ear.

Comment from: rocky2304, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

The pain stars in the upper back and radiates down the right arm. It hurts to lift my head to look up. There is tingling and weakness in the arm.

Comment from: Eli, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have a pinched nerve in the neck, with severe pain behind ear. I was not diagnosed until 16 months later and 3 MRIs, the initial diagnosis was possible mastoiditis. I now have partial deafness and ringing in my ear. I have another appointment next Wednesday with the ENT doctor. I wish the nerve could be freed.

Comment from: carmen jones, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

l was a certified nursing assistant at a nursing home and I was helping pull a patient up in bed (using the proper body mechanics) and I heard a loud pop in my back but it didn't hurt at all. The next morning l felt like l had a crook in my neck and pain all the way down my left arm. The doctor said I pulled a muscle, gave me muscle relaxers, and told me to alternate heat and cold packs. Two days later I had pain in my left buttock all the way down my leg to my foot. It was sciatic nerve damage. I got steroids and a shot. A week later my neck and back were hurting so bad it was almost unbearable. It hurt to lie down, sit up, and stand up. I had a pinched nerve in my neck and back. After 3 months at the chiropractor and a set of expensive mattresses and pain pills and ibuprofen l began to get some relief.

Comment from: grammalinnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have had chronic back, neck and hip pain since I had a car accident when I was around 20. I have had no success with doctors and tend to feel defeated easily. I had cortisone injections recently in my left sciatic joint just so I could walk like a human and not a duck but I still have pain and pinching in the left groin area. I have a bulging C4-5 disc and burning pain from that area, right across my shoulder and down my arm. It is very painful. It seems everything else in between my neck and low back is a mess and makes my life miserable. I have a terrible time trying to sleep and wake up with headaches. I have Trigeminal Neuralgia and hearing loss mostly on the left, where all the neck trouble is. I have bouts lasting as long as 6 months of severe tingling and agitation in the entire left side of my body that acts like a stroke or MS. I have been through many painful tests. And now my feet cramp painfully even when I am walking. I have had lots of P.T. in the past and nothing helps for long. I want to be active and not just stagnate in my chair because of pain.

Comment from: bobber, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Five years ago, I fell in the front yard and sat down hard on my rear end. After a time, my hip felt locked-up when I walked. Because of the pain, I didn't walk right. I protected my right hip so it would not hurt. I have had MRIs, cortisone shots, X-rays, etc., and they seem to think I have a pinched nerve. Today, I was given a cortisone shot, but so far, it is not feeling any better. The doctor suggests physical therapy, which I have had before. I have seen a chiropractor, and while he helped me immensely in other areas, nothing is helping my hip. Surgery is not suggested as I have a severe case of scoliosis since birth.

Comment from: kansaspossum, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a pinched nerve a few years ago, and it was mild. I had some treatments for it: epidural injections. They seemed to help but not for long. Now I have another pinched nerve, and it's worse than before. It's on my right side from the bottom of my foot to under my arm and sometimes my middle finger. Sometimes my feet go numb, and I feel as if I'm walking on sponges.

Pinched Nerve - Treatment Question: What treatment have you had for your pinched nerve? Did it help?
Pinched Nerve - Symptoms Question: What do your pinched nerve symptoms feel like? Pain, tingling, numbness, or something else?
Pinched Nerve - Diagnosis Question: How was your pinched nerve diagnosed? Did you have an MRI, CT scan, or other test to diagnose your nerve condition?
Pinched Nerve - Causes Question: What was the cause of your pinched nerve?