Patient Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pilonidal cyst?

A Doctor's View on Pilonidal Cyst Treatment, Complications, and Prevention

Read the Comment by Steven Doerr, MD

Treatment of a pilonidal cyst depends upon whether symptoms and signs are present and if the cyst has become infected (pilonidal abscess). If the cyst appears to be infected, incision and drainage is necessary. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Miguele, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I've had the pilonidal cyst since I was 26. It's ruptured many times and I was always able to maintain it with a good wash and some Neosporin on it. I have pain now when I go to sit down or get up, and sit in certain chairs. I am 42 now and having surgery tomorrow. It's an annoying pain and I am hopeful it will be rectified. All I have to say is oy vey!

Comment from: Belinda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I developed a pilonidal cyst when I was 20 and it was the worst pain I had ever experienced. They drained it and boy, was that a relief! I had surgery to remove it and it had to heal from the inside out. I am not sure it ever healed. I get irritation and drainage a lot. I wonder if it just keeps rupturing before getting too big and that's what it is.

Comment from: odracir, Male (Caregiver) Published: July 08

I had surgery ten years ago and my pilonidal cyst in my tail bone never came back there again, but a few years later it appeared under my arm pits. I'm going to see a doctor. I never believed it could appear there, I hope, if surgery is necessary it doesn't hurt so badly and the healing is fast.

Comment from: HurtsLikeHeck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 53 now, I had pilonidal cyst at 19. It was first lanced and then one month later removed surgically. It was the most severe pain I ever experienced. Different, but just as bad as when 20 years later my gall bladder was ready to burst. A few years ago the cyst seemed to start acting up again, but it drained easily. I take bleach baths and use antibacterial soaps always for eczema and I believe it helps the cyst from acting up most of the time as my surgery did create a crevice where bacteria can accumulate. It hasn"t done anything in about 3 years and I keep my fingers crossed because my doctor says if it continues I will need another surgery. Good luck to all that are suffering.

Comment from: Trevor, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

I had my first pilonidal cyst back in 2012, my freshman year of college. The experience remains one of the most agonizing and embarrassing in my memory. That time around, it ruptured right when I finally got around to seeking medical attention. There was just pus cleanup, no lancing. Small wonder, then, that it has now recurred, three years later. I felt the old familiar tenderness forming above my buttocks two nights ago and knew almost at once that it was my old adversary: the pilonidal cyst. I spent all of today sitting on the edge of my chair at work, contorting my body unnaturally so as to avoid even the slightest amount of pressure to that impossibly sensitive, accursed, little node of evil. Tonight the pain was so bad that I could barely walk home from the subway. Tomorrow I will try to get this thing fixed up once and for all. I am not looking forward to it, but that's the cost of having a hairy lower backside, I suppose.

Comment from: tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I've had pilonidal cyst for years, I'm too much of a baby for surgery. After a few emergency room visits I started using an iodine and Vaseline mix, Iodex is tough to find but there are other types that contain iodine and a paraffin mix. It works wonders and I've had no flare ups in years.

Comment from: Mark, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

At the age of 20 years I've been dealing with this for 7 years, I have had 3 surgeries for it. I have done my best to keep it clean but because of where it is at it's kind of hard. It is better to shave the area every 3 days and I do this while in the shower to help keep hair out of the cyst. That helps to some extent and I keep the shaven hair away from the opening, shave away from the cyst and not shave towards it or you risk getting hair into the opening. I use anti-bacterial soap, and while it may or may not help it does help when it flares up.

Pilonidal Cyst - Signs and Symptoms Question: What signs or symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?
Pilonidal Cyst - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent pilonidal cysts from recurring?