Patient Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: HurtsLikeHeck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 53 now, I had pilonidal cyst at 19. It was first lanced and then one month later removed surgically. It was the most severe pain I ever experienced. Different, but just as bad as when 20 years later my gall bladder was ready to burst. A few years ago the cyst seemed to start acting up again, but it drained easily. I take bleach baths and use antibacterial soaps always for eczema and I believe it helps the cyst from acting up most of the time as my surgery did create a crevice where bacteria can accumulate. It hasn"t done anything in about 3 years and I keep my fingers crossed because my doctor says if it continues I will need another surgery. Good luck to all that are suffering.

Comment from: Mark, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

At the age of 20 years I've been dealing with this for 7 years, I have had 3 surgeries for it. I have done my best to keep it clean but because of where it is at it's kind of hard. It is better to shave the area every 3 days and I do this while in the shower to help keep hair out of the cyst. That helps to some extent and I keep the shaven hair away from the opening, shave away from the cyst and not shave towards it or you risk getting hair into the opening. I use anti-bacterial soap, and while it may or may not help it does help when it flares up.

Comment from: caring wife, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My husband came out of the shower one day and said his tail bone hurt real bad and asked me to look at it. I had him lay down on the bed face down. I gently pulled apart his buttock cheeks to try to look at the area he said was painful when this thing burst all of a sudden. I have never seen anything like this. Horrible putrid smelling greenish brownish yellow pus came shooting out up into the air. I then pressed on the area and more of this nasty smelling stuff came out. It left a little hole. I swabbed it with rubbing alcohol and it has never produced any more pus or given him any more problems. It was such a shock that all that pus came shooting out with such force and I guess we were lucky it happened this way and he did not have to have it surgically removed.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Horrible abscess with even more horrible infection and fever. Oral and IV antibiotics, morphine for pain (could barely walk) as I had to wait for the abscess to be drained. Once drained, packed/re-packed with ribbon gauze twice a day, needed surgery ASAP. Finally made it to surgery, after 4 hours in operating room, surgeon came out to tell my family the actual cyst was the size of grapefruit! Wound was left open, and looked HUGE (could probably fit a cell phone in there), but the upside was the IMMEDIATE relief!! 3 years later, no signs of reoccurrence :)

Comment from: AZ man, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

In 2004 had my first surgery to remove the cyst. Took 3 months to heal. thought it was over with, it came back with a vengeance. Started to feel back pain again with drainage, and then stopped for a few weeks. Went to ER after it ruptured suddenly. They drained and cleaned it, but the hole would not close. After a 5 months of draining, had surgery again. Doctor told me not to change the dressing for until after 10 days. It got infected and started to smell. Took a few visits for the nurses to scrape the infected parts off, very painful. Now a month after surgery, wound is finally closing up some. Need to take showers 3 times a day. Worst part is using the toilet.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I've had 2 extensive pilonidal cyst surgeries in the past 2 years, by 2 different doctors. Still not healing--blood and pain. Neither surgeon left it open, to heal from the inside out. And in both cases the very large closed wounds opened in numerous places. Am so discouraged and don't know what to do next. Have been pretty much housebound.

Comment from: firsttimecyster, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had some terrible lower back pain and what seemed like swelling down there. I went to the ER and had to have it removed that day. I went with wound care for the first week or so, but then had to move out of state and my insurance didn't take it. Everything is closing up fast; I didn't follow through with my antibiotic, but everything looks good. I'm just worried it will reoccur. I had it drained but not removed.

Pilonidal Cyst - Signs and Symptoms Question: Besides the actual cyst, what additional signs or symptoms did you experience?
Pilonidal Cyst - Prevention Question: How do (did) you prevent pilonidal cysts from recurring?