Patient Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: ahall, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I am a 39 year old female and have just encountered my first pilonidal cyst. I have had to have surgery for it and am 2 weeks post-op. I'm doing a twice a day packing of the 7 inch deep wound and it hasn't healed one bit so tomorrow I am being evaluated for a wound vac. This has been a nightmare and very painful. Hopefully it will start to heal soon. The wound is about the size of a golf ball. Good luck to everyone.

Comment from: Queenie1955, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I feel everyone's pain :( I am in my mid-50's now but when I was growing up on Long Island I had my first pilonidal cyst when I was 14 years old. I also developed cysts in my armpits around that time. I was in constant pain, especially during times of inflammation. I was taken to a doctor who just drained the cysts but the hygiene and follow-up with the drains and bandages, ugh, what a mess! When I was in college I got my last pilonidal cyst because while home on a school break my grandmother took me to her NYC doctor who operated and removed the cyst and the "sac" as he said. I never, ever had another. Thank God for that surgeon!

Comment from: reevejdh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I went to the ER because the pain was so severe. The doctor and nurse drained the cyst, packed it with ribbon gauze and required me to return every day for at least two weeks to have it checked, cleaned and repacked. They packed it with gauze to allow it to heal from the bottom of the opening/abscess up to the surface of the skin. The area continues to get irritated or flare up, but no new openings or bumps have returned so far.

Comment from: Tia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had my abscess removed 2 nights ago, before the surgery; the pain was so bad I could barely walk. I'm 18 years old and unfortunately for me I wasn't put to sleep properly and felt them cut me open. I'm feeling a lot better now that it's out but I have a drainage tube in for about 5 days then it will be removed. Horrible experience.

Comment from: 45-54 Published: August 22

My pilonidal cyst was recurring couple of times a year. Doctor operated under general anesthesia and removed in 2011. He said area to be removed was wider than he suspected.

Comment from: Gorgeoustxwoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I first noticed symptoms when I was about 13. Sit-ups in school caused bleeding. In my early 20's it became infected for the first time. Terrible pain. Antibiotics were prescribed. It would often get infected after long car rides. Several infections, after the first, occurred. Finally, I had surgery. Doctor said cyst was big with many fingers. He got it all and it has not reoccurred, in over 30 years. My son has the dimple and I have told him to watch for symptoms. He is 18 and none so far.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I had to have surgery to remove my pilonidal cyst. Had mine for almost a year. The pain is gone...However I still have some drainage and the doctor said I will have that for years until it "fully heals." However I will say that this is so much better than with it.

Comment from: Daybabee, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

I had plionidal cyst when I was in high school. Mine came back three times. The doctor said that it had a core. I had surgery to remove the core.

Comment from: Mom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My daughter had her first pilonidal cyst removed, at age 14.10 in Dec., 2010 after ending up in the ER with it rupturing. It reoccurred and she had surgery in June, 2011. Now October 2, 2011 and she is starting the same pain symptoms all over again. Her first incision was 5" long and went 2" deep. Now that she is aware of what the symptoms are, we know better how to act.

Pilonidal Cyst - Signs and Symptoms Question: Besides the actual cyst, what additional signs or symptoms did you experience?
Pilonidal Cyst - Prevention Question: How do (did) you prevent pilonidal cysts from recurring?