Patient Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: caring wife, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My husband came out of the shower one day and said his tail bone hurt real bad and asked me to look at it. I had him lay down on the bed face down. I gently pulled apart his buttock cheeks to try to look at the area he said was painful when this thing burst all of a sudden. I have never seen anything like this. Horrible putrid smelling greenish brownish yellow pus came shooting out up into the air. I then pressed on the area and more of this nasty smelling stuff came out. It left a little hole. I swabbed it with rubbing alcohol and it has never produced any more pus or given him any more problems. It was such a shock that all that pus came shooting out with such force and I guess we were lucky it happened this way and he did not have to have it surgically removed.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Horrible abscess with even more horrible infection and fever. Oral and IV antibiotics, morphine for pain (could barely walk) as I had to wait for the abscess to be drained. Once drained, packed/re-packed with ribbon gauze twice a day, needed surgery ASAP. Finally made it to surgery, after 4 hours in operating room, surgeon came out to tell my family the actual cyst was the size of grapefruit! Wound was left open, and looked HUGE (could probably fit a cell phone in there), but the upside was the IMMEDIATE relief!! 3 years later, no signs of reoccurrence :)

Comment from: AZ man, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

In 2004 had my first surgery to remove the cyst. Took 3 months to heal. thought it was over with, it came back with a vengeance. Started to feel back pain again with drainage, and then stopped for a few weeks. Went to ER after it ruptured suddenly. They drained and cleaned it, but the hole would not close. After a 5 months of draining, had surgery again. Doctor told me not to change the dressing for until after 10 days. It got infected and started to smell. Took a few visits for the nurses to scrape the infected parts off, very painful. Now a month after surgery, wound is finally closing up some. Need to take showers 3 times a day. Worst part is using the toilet.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I've had 2 extensive pilonidal cyst surgeries in the past 2 years, by 2 different doctors. Still not healing--blood and pain. Neither surgeon left it open, to heal from the inside out. And in both cases the very large closed wounds opened in numerous places. Am so discouraged and don't know what to do next. Have been pretty much housebound.

Comment from: firsttimecyster, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had some terrible lower back pain and what seemed like swelling down there. I went to the ER and had to have it removed that day. I went with wound care for the first week or so, but then had to move out of state and my insurance didn't take it. Everything is closing up fast; I didn't follow through with my antibiotic, but everything looks good. I'm just worried it will reoccur. I had it drained but not removed.

Comment from: ahall, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I am a 39 year old female and have just encountered my first pilonidal cyst. I have had to have surgery for it and am 2 weeks post-op. I'm doing a twice a day packing of the 7 inch deep wound and it hasn't healed one bit so tomorrow I am being evaluated for a wound vac. This has been a nightmare and very painful. Hopefully it will start to heal soon. The wound is about the size of a golf ball. Good luck to everyone.

Comment from: Queenie1955, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I feel everyone's pain :( I am in my mid-50's now but when I was growing up on Long Island I had my first pilonidal cyst when I was 14 years old. I also developed cysts in my armpits around that time. I was in constant pain, especially during times of inflammation. I was taken to a doctor who just drained the cysts but the hygiene and follow-up with the drains and bandages, ugh, what a mess! When I was in college I got my last pilonidal cyst because while home on a school break my grandmother took me to her NYC doctor who operated and removed the cyst and the "sac" as he said. I never, ever had another. Thank God for that surgeon!

Pilonidal Cyst - Signs and Symptoms Question: What signs or symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?
Pilonidal Cyst - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent pilonidal cysts from recurring?